Wee bramble basket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
It's a nice idea for a temporary basket, though the down side is it'll go really loose a day or so later as it dries and shrinks so using fresh brambles for a basket isn't for a long lasting one. The dry old woody ones hidden right inside a tangled bush of them on the other hand are good split down to use.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It's a nice idea for a temporary basket, though the down side is it'll go really loose a day or so later as it dries and shrinks so using fresh brambles for a basket isn't for a long lasting one. The dry old woody ones hidden right inside a tangled bush of them on the other hand are good split down to use.

I have made dozens of baskets using green brambles and although they do shrink a little as they dry and I have had to add a couple of weavers after a day or two just to fill the gap they then last forever-ish. I have one basket in constant use that I made over 5 years ago in a similar way to that shown and all I have had to repair in that time (no added weavers after the basket was first woven) is the handle as the brambles tend to get a bit brittle with age and the handle cracket when I dropped a log on it.
My "melon" baskets made from green brambles are lasting even better.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE