weathering polycotton

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
i've got a tatonka 2tc tarp, and was wondering if these are waterproof from first use or do they need to be weathered like you would with canvas, i only asked because i'v seen some reproofing spray for polycotton, would the tarp be similar to say goretex, i.e waterproof straight away but will need reproofing now and again :confused:

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
If it's a woven polycotton, then I'd suggest proofing it just as you would with Ventile or any other fabric. Try Grangers or Stormproofing. Those two companies make a flourocarbon based treatment that's far superior to Nikwax's silicon based product. Flourocarbon proofings last longer and can be reinvigorated with heat such as a clothes dryer or an iron.

I hope this helps,

Adam

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I had the 3m x 3m TC tatonka tarp and it comes full weather proof... if you ever wash it, that will strip the proof from it. Otherwise, I would leave it, you should see the water bead on it and roll off... once that stops, consider proofing it.

They really are bomb proof, lovely things.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Its got a silicon lining, so should be alright without re-proofing.

I have a Tatonka TC tarp as well, but recently discovered a label on it that says "100% Nylon".

Not sure where the cotton comes into it.....??

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE