We have no word for thank you

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127643&page=2 The subject of swearing in Cree came up. Cree has no swear words like many northern Canadian languages, which seems to surprise many whites and non indians.

Today I was talking to a Bulgarian and they said their word for thank you is "Merci" because in their language they don't say thank you like you anglos do so have to use the french word.

In Cree and in the other languages of the north here in Canada there is no words for thank you. But we know that in your culture saying thank you is seen as polite so we have to use the french word, "Merci" when we with are with you non indian folk.

To us, giving, helping and sharing is expected so there is no need to say thank you.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Interesting point Joe, on Saturday I was working out in the sticks at a farmhouse and an elderly couple appeared with their little dog. They had gotten lost while walking through the woods and trekked across a muddy field to the house they could see. On hearing their tale I offered to drive them back to the car park they started from (as the pathway from the farm is currently blocked by the swollen pond) they declined but kept saying thank you for my help, I told them that I was only doing what I would hope someone might do for me if I was in a similar situation so the thanks ,while appreciated, were not needed.
In Greece and Spain you might get the reply "it was nothing" to a thank you in a shop or restaurant and in Germany I had "it is our service" when my glasses were repaired for free and I offered both to pay and thank them. That seems to me as an antidote to the 'thank you' that both manners and convention thrust upon us europeans etc.
I have to say that over here we have plenty of people who expect others to give,help,share while having no interest in doing so themselves, a sad fact of life.

Rob.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I lived on the Churchill River (Nipew) in Northern Saskatchewan. From Black Bear Island Lake
to Keg Falls is my place. In that day and time, 60+ miles from the nearest road.
Don't mess up. Getting to Missinippe, injured, would have been a task.

Half english, half Cree, we visited and traded. It was no big deal.
We sat on the beach on Nipew and decided what we all needed to do.

I learned my lesson there = you just do stuff to help everyone along.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It is wierd how language shapes the culture of people. If the mindset doesnt need a word it doesn't develop. I dont think welsh has swear words (i am a learner and ready to be corrected) and the proper way of saying please when asking for something in a shop translates literally as "if you see well". There is also words for emotions that just dont occur in english. Languages are vital at preserving a culture.

It is interesting that the lack of the word thank you in first nation languages is a presumption that thanks is given, and things are shared. My brother that speaks spanish told me that saying thank you in spain is regarded as old fashioned. English speakers should really have more understanding that the non english world does things differently.

BigX

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2014
England
I think us 'Anglos' are the exception, I've experienced a similar approach of 'thanks is a given' as far apart as SE Asia, the Atlas Mountains and the Far North.

However, on the flip side, I remember watching an American TV show where they'd stationed cameras next to busy doorways (train stations, mall entrances, etc) in big American cities and had an Ordinary Joe holding the door open to let people in after him. He got a 'thank you' three or four times out of a hundred.

Having also just spent some time in the French Alps (where they also have a word for thank you, but choose not to use it), you have to conclude that in some parts of Western culture saying thank you is seen as a sign of weakness.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
you have to conclude that in some parts of Western culture saying thank you is seen as a sign of weakness.

Really? Maybe not saying thank you (when the option is available) is a sign of laziness?

Would be interesting to know how many cultures that don't have a word for thank you, also don't have a word for please.

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
It is wierd how language shapes the culture of people. If the mindset doesnt need a word it doesn't develop. I dont think welsh has swear words (i am a learner and ready to be corrected) and the proper way of saying please when asking for something in a shop translates literally as "if you see well". There is also words for emotions that just dont occur in english. Languages are vital at preserving a culture.

It is interesting that the lack of the word thank you in first nation languages is a presumption that thanks is given, and things are shared. My brother that speaks spanish told me that saying thank you in spain is regarded as old fashioned. English speakers should really have more understanding that the non english world does things differently.

My maternal grandmother used to swear in Welsh, in as much as she would use Welsh words when she hurt herself or dropped or broke something. I remember the words, but don't know the translation of them, so they may or may not have been swearing.

Interesting points about the understanding on English speakers about other cultures' words. it seems that English speakers believe that their language is the standard, and deviations from it are regarded as strange. Maybe I think that because I am in an English-speaking culture myself, so that is what I hear all the time.

There is an analogy in music. People I the UK on the whole only seem to listen to music from the UK and America (i.e. in English). People on the continent of Europe seem much more comfortable with music in several languages, of which English is just one. Again, possibly just my perception.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Forgive the language- skanak, is this not perjorative in Cree?

As to saying thank you, it is our custom and part of our culture and presumably is as valid as any other culture. Just as I would try not to offend another culture by not learning their basic manners is it unreasonable for them to learn our

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Cross posted with Edwin, sorry.

Anthropologists have huge debates about such social conventions and courtesies.

There are places where one must acknowledge every single person that one meets or passes, using the correct phrase that accords them their 'place' within the community. Not to do so is a huge affront.

Then there are cities where intentional ignoring is a necessity of life otherwise everything would grind to a halt. One physically cannot greet every individual.

I live in a village; to walk past someone without at least eye contact, or a quiet word, or a nod of the head, is a social slight. It is discourteous. My eldest son now lives in the largest city in our country. He finds it's something of a seachange walking up from the train station when he comes home to visit :)

We don't say Good-bye. It's too formal, too final, for us. We'll say, "Cheerio", or, "See you later", even when it's simply someone who has been served in a shop and is unknown otherwise and there is no social connection where the later might apply.

Others in my country won't make a definite plan to a certain time, just in case they're not alive to fulfill it. They will say, "If I'm spared."

Societies are both conventional, within themselves, and fluid, in their connections with others.

The members of those societies are no longer fixed, static, only immersed within that culture. Interaction with others, and the history of the culture as it arises, changes things, changes conventions, changes courtesies.

What can't change dies. What cannot adapt dies. Nothing is static, nothing is fixed, nothing is eternally unchanging.

Familiar is comforting though, understanding the mindset, the social conventions of one's own society, and finding place within it, is reassuring.

Language is a major connection to other peoples, while it reaffirms belonging to one's own culture. Witness the Scots who use vocabulary on this British forum, for instance, or the Welsh, or Northern English, or any of the myriad of language/thinking patterns that are native to our islands. We speak in English for the most part in the UK and much of the Western world, but we think in our own cultural grounding, and words aren't everything. Pronunciation is a huge factor in the perception of words used. From a simple query to a demand or a plea, the words might be the same, but the entire meaning changes. "Help me", is a good example.
Help me ? :D
Help me!!!
Help me ? :sigh:

It's interesting to hear how other people view the world though; to hear how they relate to others, their conventions within everyday life.

Loan words from other languages is a world wide phenomenon. French lends itself to so many. Scottish cookery terms are often corrupted French words, the internationally used plea for help is another. Mayday, Mayday…m'aidez, m'aidez….help me, help me.
Indian words too are scattered like glitter on a Christmas card :) from pyjamas to chai, from bungalow to mugger, from aubergine to rice.

The words aren't always necessary. That eye meet, or head nod that I mentioned earlier, can carry a conversation in themselves sometimes :D From a quiet, "aye!" and an eye roll skywards and a raised eyebrow at the incipient downpour, to the, "aye :D", that acknowledges friendship.

Not having a word for please, or thank you, or swear words, doesn't mean that the concept isn't known or understood, simply that the culture concerned somehow finds no need to use those words for those situations.
To claim that a culture has no gratitude at all, no concept of thanks, however, is an anthropological anomaly.
I know that in some youth cultures the word 'righteous' fills in the space and saves face while giving an acknowledgement that something was well done, properly done.
Do the Cree feel that something properly done is righteous ? I don't know, I only know of them from the posts of a couple of individuals who post on the forum, and take it as read that they are representative of their culture. Whether that culture is their family, their clan, their village, township or their country, isn't yet given.

Mine has a phrase that suits though, "It's nae loss whit a freen gets".
:D

M

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
People I the UK on the whole only seem to listen to music from the UK and America (i.e. in English). People on the continent of Europe seem much more comfortable with music in several languages, of which English is just one. Again, possibly just my perception.

A trace of the empire, don't you think?

BigX

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2014
England
Really? Maybe not saying thank you (when the option is available) is a sign of laziness?

No, I think it's cultural. If you hold a door for people in central London (not a place particularly known for courtesy) they'll mostly say 'thank you' as a reflex. In Manhattan, broadly similar in a lot of ways, they won't. That's not because they're more lazy in New York, it's just they don't 'do' thank you there, they'd rather tip a doorman than meet his eye. It's all part of the busy-busy-can't-stop culture there.

It's not all America either, I spent a lot of last summer in Montana and Wyoming and they are very big on politeness out there.

However, I think Harvestman's possibly right - Brits only think it's odd or rude because we assume our way is correct.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
A fascinating discussion. Call me old fashioned but I'd rather live in a world where people say please and thank you. However, I fully accept there are cultural differences and have no problem with this. I spend a lot of time in Greece and to get things done I definitely curb my "Englishness".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE