Water Bottle/Canteen obsession.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Sigg 1 litre in insulated pouch in rucksack or belt rig
Half litre US pilots flask in urban carry haversack
Half litre Oxfam collapsible flask in jacket pocket
Two empty litre Platypus bottles in rucksack filled at overnight camp or reserves in very hot conditions
Sawyer mini filter with its squeezy bottle also in rucksack
One litre plastic bottle in campervan fridge

I get migraines if dehydrated. Should be ok if I keep this lot filled.
What are the platypus bottle like. I have looked at them in the past.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
What are the platypus bottle like. I have looked at them in the past.
I'm an idiot, I have platypus bottles but for some reason was thinking of the Aussie Army waterbottles that are made by Platatac. Essentially it's a HDPE square bottle

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Years ago I purchased four aluminium 500ml bottles from Poundland. One developed a leak from the cap and another got a pinhole leak in the side which I assume was always there and only the paint was containing it. I don't use them anymore but still use the carabiners they came with!

Reactions: Minotaur

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
I've got a few of those plus a few more civilian types holding between 1 and 2 litres. What I need and lust after is a plastic reproduction of the British Mk7 waterbottle so I can drink safe water from my play acting sets.
Vodka bottles in the smaller 12/13 oz -375ml "Hip flask" go in my Napoleon pockets or the inside pockets of my belay parka but my absolute favourite bulk water carrier is an Australian goon bag wine carrier holding between 4 and 6 litres, I have both S2S and home made carriers but even without a cover they are remarkably robust

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Ok not sure this is a good idea...
2X 3l platypus big zips
1x Platypus filter set
2x us gi stainless steel bottles
2X US GI Nalgene Oasis bottles
?xUS GI plastic bottles
4+x 1 litre biking bottles
?X 850ml Smart Water bottles which are my standard use.
?X 1l Lidl Tropical juice bottles going to be my refill bottles in future.
I also still have my first water bottle somewhere and lots of other things including round Nalgenes and rip offs of them.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Yes I have a problem.

2 x 1.5l nalgenes
1 x British army 1l
1 x Swiss sigg aluminium army bottle and Ali cup
1 x German ali bottle
2 x French ‘le grand’ something or another - 1l and 500ml
A camelback 3l (don’t use often)
A camelback 20l (use when camping it’s quite good)
2 x 500ml insulted bottles
1 x 1915 dated aluminium British army water bottle with original felt and leather carrier (but that’s a rare collectible!)

Eek.

My favourites are the British army one, and the smaller French thing.

I need a new cork for the Swiss one but that is my next one, I like kidney shaped small form factor but the 1.5l nalgenes are good for carrying volume dispersed around the pack.

The Swiss army siggs were so ubiquitous and. CHeap a decade ago I cut one up to make a small survival kit (I cut the top of the bottle and reversed it to slide into the cup - sacrilege!)

Last edited:

Springchicken

Aug 29, 2005
Northants.
This is turning into a meeting of Water Bottle Hoarders Anonymous! "Hi, my name is Richard and (telling pause...) I collect water bottles."

I reckon that they are  the unassuming but absolutely essential bits of kit. They often reflect the fads and activities of a given time but rarely get 'moved on' because of their usage. Having started with my Sigg, I did try the collapsible/soft bottles and bladders because they were 'on trend'. I didn't like the taste the bladder I had produced in the water in it and found the floppy ones leaked, so I returned to hard bottles. My two Finnish 1 litre ones are excellent - currently - but who knows how I'll be tempted in the future?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Has anyone come across an expandable cowby style canteen? I have a american style canteen and it holds an impressive amount of water when full - but think one with soft expandable 'edges' and then hard faces would be useful.

covered in blanket material to limit damage.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
This is turning into a meeting of Water Bottle Hoarders Anonymous! "Hi, my name is Richard and (telling pause...) I collect water bottles."
I think it would end up being Bushcraft Kit Anonymous! When I start listing some types of kit it does get ridiculous.

I reckon that they are  the unassuming but absolutely essential bits of kit. They often reflect the fads and activities of a given time but rarely get 'moved on' because of their usage.
I think all kit is like that and a lot of it follows fashion like trends rather than functionality. So far the only thing that has lived up to the hype is my Trangia. I am going down the rabbit hole of making my own kit as I just cannot get what I want.

Having started with my Sigg, I did try the collapsible/soft bottles and bladders because they were 'on trend'. I didn't like the taste the bladder I had produced in the water in it and found the floppy ones leaked, so I returned to hard bottles. My two Finnish 1 litre ones are excellent - currently - but who knows how I'll be tempted in the future?
I had that problem with cheap bladders however so far the Platypus is bomb proof.
Those Finnish bottles look interesting...

Reactions: Springchicken

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE