Warm Beanie hat?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
I have an acrylic + Thinsulate 'beanie' hat that i bought for £5 from an outdoor clothing fair in a village hall near Barnard Castle or Kirby Stephen in the mid '90s. The insulation feels quite substantial and there is knitted acrylic inside and out. The 'overlap' of 'brim' material is quite generous.

It is the best such hat that I've had.

Unfortunately, last winter the insulation had begun disintegrating so there are cold spots and. It's also a bit mis-shapen so it's time to replace it.

More recent hats that I've been given have been much lighter, with "40g Thinsulate" labels. The old hat is noticeably warmer and more wind-proof than any of them when climbing a mountain or standing around.

Any suggestions for a good, simple replacement?

Thanks.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I have a Harilka 100% wool hat that has a polyester sweat band to reduce itch.

Was £20 and brilliant quality, Harilka are a sweedish hunting garment company so what more could you want!

Hope this helps :)!

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
As Eds says the Possum beanies are great, I have the Ray Mears one. I do find it a bit too hot for hiking in unless its very cold but its very light, warm and soft. It's great to sleep in.

A recently got a 100% Wool watch cap, its also very good :)

Last edited:

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
I've got two of these from the buchcraft store....http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/black-wool-watch-cap---genuine-us-navy-issue-1235-p.asp

They're not thinsulate lined but they're the best wool Beanies I've had. They're not actually Government issue though. It would appear the company is called ''Genuine Government issue''. They are a very good basic wool Beanie though.

Just found a Goretex lined wool Beanie on ebay...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/G-I-GORE-TEX-WATCH-CAP-NEW-GOVT-ISSUE-100-WOOL-GORE-TEX-MEMBRANE-/200670868135?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb8ea72a7

They're in the States but if ya search around you might find it in the UK.

Sealskinz do a Goretex lined one as well.

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
I bought the Sealskinz lined hat, its awful!

Not that it doesn't work its just that it sounds and feels like your wearing a plastic bag on your head.

This might be cheaper then..
th

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I have an acrylic + Thinsulate 'beanie' hat that i bought for £5 from an outdoor clothing fair in a village hall near Barnard Castle or Kirby Stephen in the mid '90s. The insulation feels quite substantial and there is knitted acrylic inside and out. The 'overlap' of 'brim' material is quite generous.

Unfortunately, last winter the insulation had begun disintegrating so there are cold spots and. It's also a bit mis-shapen so it's time to replace it.

More recent hats that I've been given have been much lighter, with "40g Thinsulate" labels. The old hat is noticeably warmer and more wind-proof than any of them when climbing a mountain or standing around.

Sounds like you hunt for the same one then

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Barts do a colourful range, most surplus stores sell thinsulate beanies, or jeep caps if you wish a peak!

NY beanie is still going strong after twenty years. It does get swapped with a white one for dark mornings.

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
I bought the Sealskinz lined hat, its awful!

Not that it doesn't work its just that it sounds and feels like your wearing a plastic bag on your head.
Awful things, exactly crisp packet on your head, and droops when wet, gave mine to the local old boy that hangs around seven dials

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
+1 for the Ray Mears Merino Possum, they're very soft and warm. But, as mentioned, a bit too warm for serious exertion. Lovely for sitting around or snoozing in though.

I've only had mine a few weeks so maybe when the weather gets colder it'll come into it's own.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire

Thanks.

I had the same thing, been using one since the 90's, but i've found the ones aldi have in to be a very good replacement.

Rob

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Keeping and eye on this thread. Having tried all the thinsulate jobbies and a lot of the even cheaper ones I find they all itch like no-ones business.
Would just like a thin`ish merino one rather than the thicker Uncle ray one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE