My 'experiment' with clothes layering.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
I went for a walk on the moors on Sunday with my wife and our 9 month-old daughter (wearing many layers, covered in an all-in-one suit, bobble hat, wrapped in a fleece blanket and sheltered by sitting a backpack).

I've various clothes to choose from and decided to go with a fairly unusual mix of a Nike dri-fit base layer, a fairly thin Merino (Howies clearance purchase a few years ago) jumper and a lightweight mountain biking 'Entrant DT' waterproof and a generic 'Thinsulate' acrylic beanie hat. When we got up on t'moors it was effin' freezing in the wind so I added my Norgie top that I keep in the car with my emergency kit.

I've even more gloves to choose from, but I went with some cheap Aldi winter bicycle gloves with some army surplus canvas over-mittens (French? -bought from a great surplus shop in Brittany) that I've proofed with Fabsil.

I expected the Norgie to get damp and make me feel a bit clammy, but even after 3 hours of reasonably-paced walking in a cold breeze with some light drizzle I was dry and comfortable.

The gloves & mittens worked well in combination and when I/it warmed a bit I was able to remove the mittens.

The Dri-fit top isn't the greatest, the waterproof jacket often gives me sweaty arms on the bike and a cotton Norgie is not the last word in wicking and evaporation, but the layers appeared to have worked well together in the conditions.

My daughter seemed quite happy until the final 10 minutes or so too, which was a relief.

Last edited:

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Nice test!

I'm always in two minds about the layer theory.

I have similar thin layers which always work

but I also like the Buffalo jacket (one layer)which often works better.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE