Wales's Badger cull faces new legal challenge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
a friend of mine is buying an old house and there are loads of those in the bottom of my town garden- not a cow for miles and miles and the cost of gettign rid of them = £10,000!!!
sheesh :togo:
anyone know of a natural way to encourage them to leave?
(no fire/explosives or pouring in cement replies pls!)

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Bert - that cost is a nonsense.
Don't know who he (you - confused who had the badgers now) got that from but maybe he can look into it himself - Im happy to provide advice if needs be.
Admittedly to get a license to remove them might be difficult to find a legitimate reason. but thats a topic for a more private discussion (nothing suspicious just private information isnt appropriate to be discussed in the open forum).
The badger legislation interpretation is actually becoming more practical and reasonable (unlike in most areas...).
But of course animal welfare is still to be taken into account!

kazinnature

Jun 9, 2008
Bedfordshire
I am a stranger when it comes to writing on here but this makes me sick to the stomach. I saw an interview with an organic farmer who has cows and he has never had a problem with TB in his cattle and he even showed that he has badger sets in his cow fields. His neighbouring farmer (not organic) who lives only a couple of miles away has had a big problem with TB. He thinks that it is all down to how the cows are kept and how much stress they are put under that lowers the immunity of cows and opens them up to desease. Which to me makes loads of sense. Fingers crossed for the fate of the badger.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Ok, my personal opinions aside, I've actually had to argue this from both sides, as a conservationist opposed to badger culling, and as a supporter of farming for whom TB is undoubtedly a huge and expensive problem. The bottom line is that the independent scientific evidence and opinion is that culling won't work, and may even make the problem worse.

Despite that the cull was still agreed.

On the day the cull was announced, I heard the following interview on Radio Wales with a farmer from Pembrokeshire:
Interviewer - "What do you think of the news about the cull?"
Farmer - "I think it is great news. At last someone is finally doing something"
Interviewer - "Have you got badgers on your land?"
Farmer - "Yes"
Interviewer - "Do you have a big poblem with TB in your herds then?"
Farmer - "My herds are TB free"
Interviewer - "So the badgers are clearly not the problem for you, but you still support the cull?!"
Farmer - "Yes. Its about time someone did something"

Even if that something is clearly the wrong thing then :11doh:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Badgers? Badgers? Weee don't need no steeeeenkin' badgers!

Seriously though - it sounds like it's a solely political action designed to appease the farming community.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE