Volunteering for a local scout troop

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harmonica

Forager
Jul 16, 2006
Clara Vale, Tyne and Wear
Well i've got a few meetings under my belt and it's been great fun so far- application is ongoing though HQ are processing quite a few at the moment apparently. I should have my paperwork sorted out before the start of next years activities though so thats all good (we have only two more meetings this year).

I ebven got to help out at the camp over the weekend though since i was only there on the final day it was mostly keeping an eye on tired scouts and trying to persuade them into getting washed up and packed up.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I once applied to help out... not really fussy about how but felt it would be good to contribute in some way to young peoples development... never heard anything back.

Their loss.

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
UPDATE....

Well, 5 months since making my first application to the scouts and despite sending several emails and a letter I never heard anything. :(

Went along to my local Air Cadet squadron on Wednesday and they were keen to have another helper on board. Loads of opportunities for getting outdoors and teaching some survival skills as well as shooting (they have their own indoor range for .22 rifles), and even the chance to go flying.

Really looking forward to getting involved now and spending some time helping young people to explore their potential. :)

Martin

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
My experience of cubs and scouts tends to differ. Years ago I was asked by a friend to come to show the cubs some knots, whilst I was there I also helped a few of the lads with a little handicraft project they were working on. I was asked to help on a more regular basis. went through C.R.B. check ok. All went well untill I was told I couldnt continue unless I enrolled as a cub leader which also meant doing the monthly church parade. I am not a believer myself and dont agree with enforced religion, the only cubs that were excused from the parade were those whose parents were not christian and declared they were not. I enjoyed helping the kids get more out of their lives so went on to volunteer for a local youth group.
Hopefully times have changed now and the scout leaders have stopped trying to force religion on kids

Jusali

May 22, 2008
Bristol
I have a Criminal Record for a teenth of cannabis back when I was at college. Clean now 15yrs later........
Will I pass the CRB? Is it worth even applying?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I have a Criminal Record for a teenth of cannabis back when I was at college. Clean now 15yrs later........
Will I pass the CRB? Is it worth even applying?

Yes, as an offence and sentence like that is now regarded as 'spent' and normally you don't have to declare it unless you're asked to list all convictions for a CRB search

Jusali

May 22, 2008
Bristol
Well I had an email and a phonecall last night inviting me to 2 beaver and cub groups nearby. If I like 'em and they like me after CRB's joing etc I'm in!

Harmonica

Forager
Jul 16, 2006
Well my CRB came through over teh summer. Still waiting on induction training as the county trainers are pretty busy but i'm booked on a course next month.

Away on and Expedition challenge camp this weekend. The scouts are doing either 20 or 27 miles over 2 days so its manning checkpoints for me. Hope the weather improves :umbrella:

... All went well untill I was told I couldnt continue unless I enrolled as a cub leader which also meant doing the monthly church parade. I am not a believer myself and dont agree with enforced religion, the only cubs that were excused from the parade were those whose parents were not christian and declared they were not. I enjoyed helping the kids get more out of their lives so went on to volunteer for a local youth group.
Hopefully times have changed now and the scout leaders have stopped trying to force religion on kids

Unfortunately not...

It is
possible for young people to be unsure of the
existence of God and remain a Member of the
Association, but it is not possible for an atheist to
hold a Warrant as a Leader.

and...

On the application form you have put ‘atheist’. Can you describe what you mean by ‘atheist’?
Given that the avowed absence of religious belief is a bar to becoming a Member of The Scout Association, if the
adult is certain that there is no ‘higher being’ they will not be able to become a Member of The Scout Association.
As an associate member of The Scout Association you will be expected to support the Religious Policy.
How do you feel about this?
The associate member should show a willingness to support the Religious Policy.

Kind of puts a damper on joining...

However, I help at meetings and camps, teach the kids stuff and turn out for events - putting stuff up, taking stuff down and suchlike. The GSL and Leaders know why I won't apply to be a Leader or Associate, and they are fine with that, as am I. Not really a uniform person...
The main reason I didn't join the Cubs or Scouts as a kid was the Scout Oath... I had a major falling out with God at the age of 5 when my grandfather died - I was told God had taken him away to heaven, and boy, was I hacked off at him :( Took me another couple of years to come to the conclusion that there was no-one there to be cross with :rolleyes:

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Away on and Expedition challenge camp this weekend. The scouts are doing either 20 or 27 miles over 2 days so its manning checkpoints for me. Hope the weather improves :umbrella:

This is what you joined for the training can wait and often you will learn all you need from good leaders around you. A dose of common sense and being able to spot hazards/problems up front is more important than any piece of paper.

Harmonica

Forager
Jul 16, 2006

Well the weather didn't improve - it rained for 30 out of the 36 hours we were out - but it was still great. The scouts enjoyed it so thats the main thing and I even got to demonstrate how effective a tarp can be as a shelter for our checkpoint!

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
Yes, as an offence and sentence like that is now regarded as 'spent' and normally you don't have to declare it unless you're asked to list all convictions for a CRB search

You should be aware though that the enhanced CRB disclosure that Scouts will request will return both spent and unspent convictions and any cautions.

Whether the information disclosed would constitute a bar to membership/employment would depend on exactly what the conviction was recorded as. Possession, and that long ago with no other record, would possibly be at local discretion. Possession with intent to supply for example would almost certainly be an automatic bar subject to appeal irrespective of time elapsed. It is really difficult to offer generic advice and certainly via the forum.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
My experience of cubs and scouts tends to differ. Years ago I was asked by a friend to come to show the cubs some knots, whilst I was there I also helped a few of the lads with a little handicraft project they were working on. I was asked to help on a more regular basis. went through C.R.B. check ok. All went well untill I was told I couldnt continue unless I enrolled as a cub leader which also meant doing the monthly church parade. I am not a believer myself and dont agree with enforced religion, the only cubs that were excused from the parade were those whose parents were not christian and declared they were not. I enjoyed helping the kids get more out of their lives so went on to volunteer for a local youth group.

That's a great shame. Some groups are affiliated with certain churches and tend to push the church parade side of things. Others (like mine) are not. Scouting is open to all faiths and beliefs. As far as i'm concerned, having no belief of a higher being/organised religion is still a belief and doesn't in the slightest mean that somebody has no spiritual hinterland. My thoughts are, if you have a problem with one group, then arrange to move to another- you'll undoubtedly find it very different, and hopefully you will fit much better into it.

Being a voluntary organisation, unfortunately the admin does vary between from group to group- it's definitely not always as tight as it should be.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
On the application form you have put ‘atheist’. Can you describe what you mean by ‘atheist’?
Given that the avowed absence of religious belief is a bar to becoming a Member of The Scout Association, if the
adult is certain that there is no ‘higher being’ they will not be able to become a Member of The Scout Association.
As an associate member of The Scout Association you will be expected to support the Religious Policy.
How do you feel about this?
The associate member should show a willingness to support the Religious Policy.

I don't believe in a higher being and I'm a scout leader. Made it quite clear I didn't believe in that when I signed up - appointments committee did a lot of questioning - I have faith in 'other people' which is good enough for them. Buddhism... very advanced and plenty of scouts & leaders in that 'faith'

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
Unfortunately not...

and...

Kind of puts a damper on joining...

However, I help at meetings and camps, teach the kids stuff and turn out for events - putting stuff up, taking stuff down and suchlike. The GSL and Leaders know why I won't apply to be a Leader or Associate, and they are fine with that, as am I. Not really a uniform person...
The main reason I didn't join the Cubs or Scouts as a kid was the Scout Oath... I had a major falling out with God at the age of 5 when my grandfather died - I was told God had taken him away to heaven, and boy, was I hacked off at him :( Took me another couple of years to come to the conclusion that there was no-one there to be cross with :rolleyes:

When I went "into uniform" after several years of being a regular helper (and although not having taken the promise at that point acted in the spirit of it) I asked what the main difference was and the replies were all in the vein of "there's a bit of ironing because of the uniform"....they were right.

resnikov

I went to the Scouts web site and put in my details saying I wouold like to help out and I now have 2 scouts groups asking for my help.
One is in my village and the other one in the next village along. Not sure what to do about this, I dont want to let anyone down.

I'm going to a cub meeting at the one in my village to have a chat with the GSL so will see how that goes.

I hope they are not strict on the whole religion thing as I'm an atheists and if i had to choose a religon it would be Pastafarian :p I did go to chuch parade when i was a cub, scout and venture but that was more to bolster the numbers then anything else.

Tetley

Apr 21, 2008
Bremetannacum Vetenorum
Pastafarian is fine , I chose that and it is cool when doing the "world Faiths" badge with cubs , many convert on the spot !

May you be touched by his noodley appendages !

resnikov

Had a meeting with one of the cub troops and it went ok. Asked them the question about religion and my lack of it and they said it wasn't an issue. Going to see the other cub troop tonight.
So after that we shall see which one is better to join.

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
Had a meeting with one of the cub troops and it went ok. Asked them the question about religion and my lack of it and they said it wasn't an issue. Going to see the other cub troop tonight.
So after that we shall see which one is better to join.

Excellent - it's a good idea to find out what they do in terms of activities because the groups do vary a bit...........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE