Volunteering for a local scout troop

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mang

Settler
I spoke on the phone to one of the guys in the Scout PR team to tell him of a Bear Grylls Q & A session in the next Bushcraft and Survival magazine and he says recruitment calls to the Scout Info centre have gone up ten fold. The Bear effect indeed.

aelf

Mar 13, 2007
uk
Crazy Dave,

Ratio's are:
1 leader - 6 Beavers
1 leader - 8 Cubs
1 leader - 12 Scouts

don't forget the 'plus one', that is 1 leader per 6 Beavers, plus 1. So 6 Beavers is a minimun of 2 leaders, 12 is a minimum of 3 leaders and so on. Sorry to be pedantic....

i joined as a Cub Leader 16 years ago - the best thing I ever did, the guy who hooked me said it was only an hour a week. What he didn't say was that it's only an hour off a week!!! But that is my choice.

Join up!! You will have the time of your life!
:)

Harmonica

Forager
Jul 16, 2006
Clara Vale, Tyne and Wear
Well have now received my official one page postcard style reply saying that my details have been received and assuring me that I should have been contacted by my local scout group by now. I haven't been contacted by my local area yet but I have seperately contacted the neighbouring area commisioner (I live on the border of two counties) who is sorting things out for a meeting with my local leader. So thats all good!

How are the other recent volunteers getting on?

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Anyone wishing to join up can get plenty of info and advice on Escout
Anything from finding a group to help with which section may suit you.

As Scout Leader I have not written many risk assesments though of course I do risk asses all activities which may take a few seconds on my own.

BP Scouts are a seperate association who split from what is now the Scout asssosaition as they did not like the way we were heading. The main difference is they still follow what BP set out very closely and wear the same uniform he designed. BG is not the Cheif Scout of the BP-SA.

Scouting should be fun for you as well as the kids.

Harmonica

Forager
Jul 16, 2006
Well i met my local leader on Friday night for a nice informal chat - lying on the grass and drinking cans of coke in the sunshine! I am sorting out my forms for CRB etc this week - just need to find some people to be refferees who have known me for the required time and then i'm all set.

Should be attending this weeks meeting all being well. :)

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Well i met my local leader on Friday night for a nice informal chat - lying on the grass and drinking cans of coke in the sunshine! I am sorting out my forms for CRB etc this week - just need to find some people to be refferees who have known me for the required time and then i'm all set.

Should be attending this weeks meeting all being well. :)

Glad to hear it.

Well done guys! Excellent that so many people are willing to get involved!

I run an Explorer Scout Unit 13.5 ---> 18 year olds, and i have never written a risk assessment. Its just common sense!

We got rid of our "Patrol tents" and have got a load of tarps and hammocks now. The kids love it! We have also just done a mass order of mora frost knifes, and the kids are really getting into the bushcraft way of camping... most now have their own tinder pouches!

It’s a really worthwhile experience, go for it! You make so many new friends being a leader and learn so much too! I’m Cycling in Holland in august, sailing on ocean going yachts across the channel in October, snowboarding in Italy in Feb, and doing PADI open water in between..... and its costing me next to nothing!

We also do the Duke of Edinburgh’s award too, great fun! Get involved!!

Harmonica

Forager
Jul 16, 2006
Well I had my first scout meeting on Friday and it was great. There were games, tent pitching practice for the weekends camp as it looked likely that this would take place in the pouring rain, and fininishing with some route planning for the hike to the camp.

For most of the scouts the hike was to be navigated for themselves with only a couple of checkpoints on route at which to meet up with the leaders, considering how young some of them are (or maybe i'm getting old) i think this was a fantastic exercise! Not sure i'd have managed it when i was their age!

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Good on you Harmonica!

I have been helping out for about 18 months or so, and have recently taken the plunge to undertake training and become a full leader after 15 years or so away!

I had my first training session last week and due to life experience etc I have been acredited with most of the modules! I only have to attend one full weekends training & I have completed it all! Painless!

Simon

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
simon you lucky blighter i have to go on four courses and also have to do eighteen moduales over three years cos well of the strickt training but how cools this i get a first aid cert and it applys at work and i also get a first contact cert which means i can now work with kids in the creche at the hotel if we had one like the bigger hotels do

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE