ViewRanger App

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Johno76

Jan 4, 2014
United Kingdom
Just found this wee app for my ipod, initial playing about with it looks very promising.

Has anyone else used this app and if so did they use it in the field.

Also its free to download :)

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
Also worth looking at backcountry navigator. Excellent little app, I've set mine to download the OS tiles for southern england over home wifi then i can use them with my phone gps when Im out and about, regardless of mobile signal :)

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
The real drawback to this is the same for all such apps, and that's battery life. I've never been bothered with all the online social stuff but it is a good way to record where you have been.

Z

Still refusing to upgrade Tapatalk.

tent peg

Nomad
Jan 13, 2014
Sherwood Forest
have used both VR and komoot, but I find komoot, better in the field. easier to use, graphical interface less cluttered. OS maps available in the Web browser so you can plan your adventure well. nice social feature means you can share your ideas with the rest of your party.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I use Viewranger. I primarily use it when solo hiking for it's buddy beacon feature. I know a lot of SAR groups also use viewranger. It does have the issue with battery life tho, that's more to do with the battery of the phone rather than the app itself.

J

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
I've been using the Android version of this app for a little while now. I bought the OS maps for the whole Republic of Ireland for 120 euro, which I thought was quite reasonabl, so I'm not dependant on coverage. I have to say, nice app, although I only use it to get a quick map fix when out, or to browse the maps at other times.

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Been using Viewranger now for a few months and I think it's great. I have it on an iphone, and did just over 10 miles yesterday with the phone fully charged and VR on continuously there was 48% battery left when finished. I also carry an external battery backup just in case. And of course a map & Compass !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE