vid of my attempt at firemaking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
Well, I finally got my vid posted. I had to break down the whole thing into little pieces, and here is my (weak) attempt at firemaking. Mind you in was COLD! and the wind was constant. Anyway, here it is: video

It may still be uploading, so, please be patient.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Hi Oldsoldier,

Was there no cattail around? I don't know your level of experience so apologise if I am trying to teach granny to suck eggs but a wad of cattail seeds inside that nest of dried grass as a pre-tinder might have done the trick.

Matt.

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
Hi Old Soldier,
Well done for making the video.

When your using your firesteel if you sloooooowwww right down and take one good scrape with the back of your knife or the non serrated part on the scraper supplied, and do it right into the grass you will do it. Trying to do lots of little scrapes above the grass is very awkward and most importantly they dont stay very hot for long. Instead you need one or two good scrapes using the tip of your firesteel and this is sufficent as well as saving your steel. Make sure the grass is really buffed up to.

Bunnerz

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2006
Bedfordshire
Yeah as said below, longer slower strike would help (they need to be pretty firm strikes). Also if you have no pre-tinder, rub the dead grass against itself to make a fine dusty grass in the middle, always works a treat for me :)

thanks for the video

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
Thanks all for the replies. I didnt see any cattail around, but there was alot of the marshgrass. In retrospect, I shouldve prepared the tiner better by breaking it up more. But, that was my first time using a rod, so, lessons learned!
I also learned that using the vteeth of the blade on the rod chews it up good. So, I am gonna file the back of it down, to get a good striking surface.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE