veg oil / diesel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 14, 2006
Blackpool
I've been registered and producing for a couple of years now, you'll find the HMC totally unhelpful, and not consistent with what they will allow the lower rate, SVO should qualify.
I have nothing other than a couple of gasket problems on my 200 tdi Discovery, started to leak fuel out of the injector pump. soon fixed though.
If your looking for an easy green method then a look at http://www.bio-power.co.uk/ is really worth a look, with a very easy recipe.
I have done a course with them and they have already sorted out most of the HMC issues.
hope that helps
John

bushman762

Forager
May 19, 2005
N.Ireland
I have found that there are quite a few licenced producers that are producing Biodiesel. I am buying my Biodiesel at 76p per litre all taxes paid.

I run my van on Biodiesel and get just over one mile to the gallon extra than I did on fosil fuel (ord road diesel), but she runs much quieter and smoother. I can't rate it high enough, plus hopefully I'm doing my bit for the environment.

Word of warning though...as in most things watch the price, I have been asked to pay 86p to 95p...

In France I believe that all road diesel has about 2 - 5% Biodiesel included and that we should be following suit!

Best Regards :)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Oh, for those thinking about running vans on veggie oil, its worth mentioning that you can heat your house with waste oil.

Heres a few links of the bloke I know who might be giving a boiler a bash soon.
One Another and Another

useless

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2005
Hampshire, UK
As my user name might suggest, I just want to check something out here...

Some of you guys are talking about buying a big load of vegetable oil from a supermarket, or wholesale, and pouring that straight into your tanks (with the same amount of "dinofuel" :lmao: ) and then driving around on this.

No engine modifications?

No performance problems?

How much cheaper is it?

Sorry if the answer is obvious, it just seems a little too good to be true!

(And Wayne, I would, of course, seek to pay Gordon Brown his duty!)

Groovy

Paul

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
useless said:
As my user name might suggest, I just want to check something out here...

Some of you guys are talking about buying a big load of vegetable oil from a supermarket, or wholesale, and pouring that straight into your tanks (with the same amount of "dinofuel" :lmao: ) and then driving around on this.

No engine modifications?

No performance problems?

How much cheaper is it?

Sorry if the answer is obvious, it just seems a little too good to be true!

(And Wayne, I would, of course, seek to pay Gordon Brown his duty!)

Groovy

Paul

Mmmmm, those wishing to just pour it straight into their tanks better had not own something with a Lucas injectors...

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Yep, we're talking about pouring vegetable oil straight into the fuel tank.

Check this out:
http://www.ravenfamily.org/andyg/vegoil.htm

As for Lucas injectors that's what my van has and it worked just fine. I tried it at around a 10% mixture.

The savings aren't huge when you work out the duty. I'd sooner use biodiesel but it's not so easy to find in my neck of the woods and I don't have the space to make it myself.

BOD

EdS said:
- great way to encourage alternative/greener fuel.]

In the long long term a move to a sustainable and renewable energy resource in place of non renewable petroleum is a good thing, however, in the medium long -term it is not likely to be.

Much more land will be needed to produce the biofuel and the businesses producing it will go for the cheapest options and this may be at the expense of the wilderness.

Consider this. Malaysia and Indonesia are looking at Bio-diesel from palm oil. the Indonesian solution (with mainland Chinese investment) is to log the Borneo rainforest in a band across the whole of Borneo from the Java Sea to the Celebes Sea to plant oil palm - the very area where the WWF are trying to set up the Heart of Borneo conservation area.

It is our consumption pattern that is the problem and it won't go away by changing the source of the energy. Nuclear or bio there will be new problems created.

Not to say that you should not run your 4x4 on chippie oil!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Nemisis said:
Is old oil from KFC etc suitable once filtered?
Dave.
It needs a little more than just filtering, but in essence - yes :cool:

There are plenty of websites dedicated to the methods used in producing Bio-diesel.

demographic said:
Oh, for those thinking about running vans on veggie oil, its worth mentioning that you can heat your house with waste oil..
You can turn this phrase around as well :cool: :rolleyes: ;)

ATB

Ogri the trog

Culicoidis

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
Wiltshire
I have used a 50/50 mix, SVO/deisel, in my isuzu with no problems.
After all the original engine designed by Herr Deisel was built to run on peanut oil.

EdS

Still no problems with either vehicle - even the Lucas injector on the LR is fine. But what I do do if for every 3 tanks of 50:50 mix I run it into the red them run 1/4 or more of 100% just to lubricate and clear the injector.

Even come to an arrange ment with the local - I get their oil and the money I save on diesel I spend on beer. That is what I call a win, win (win I suppose as the environment benifits as well) situation.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
BOD said:
In the long long term a move to a sustainable and renewable energy resource in place of non renewable petroleum is a good thing, however, in the medium long -term it is not likely to be.

Much more land will be needed to produce the biofuel and the businesses producing it will go for the cheapest options and this may be at the expense of the wilderness.

Consider this. Malaysia and Indonesia are looking at Bio-diesel from palm oil. the Indonesian solution (with mainland Chinese investment) is to log the Borneo rainforest in a band across the whole of Borneo from the Java Sea to the Celebes Sea to plant oil palm - the very area where the WWF are trying to set up the Heart of Borneo conservation area.

It is our consumption pattern that is the problem and it won't go away by changing the source of the energy. Nuclear or bio there will be new problems created.

Not to say that you should not run your 4x4 on chippie oil!

In the western world where we eat so much fried rubbish and pay farmers to not grow things, you would have thought someone would see the potental.

The other thing about true veg diesel is it is almost emission free.

useless said:

Using pure veg oil is not that simple. For a start used oil for some reason works better. You also need to process it by adding certain chemicals.

useless said:
No engine modifications?

If you have an older diesel, not to the engine, no. A lot of the sites do recomend a fuel pre heating system. There are a couple of sites no that list what vehicles to avoid but basically any thing with engine management will give you trouble going over to 100% but should be fine up to 25%

useless said:
No performance problems?

It seems to actually be better for the engine, weirdly. Some people have reported using slightly more fuel.

useless said:
How much cheaper is it?

If you get the oil for nothing, set up costs, vehicle mods if needed, additives, and duty, so it can work out for cheap, when you consider between 0.94 and £1.04 a litre at the moment

demographic said:
Mmmmm, those wishing to just pour it straight into their tanks better had not own something with a Lucas injectors...

The old diesels, espically work horses(Landy's) should give no one trouble. You want a vehicle you can repair yourself. Anything that has management, seems to give people headaches.

EdS

just a quick up date.

The Astra has now done 5000 miles or more on veg oil / diesel mix - upto 80% wvo over summer.

No problems so far and it does run quieter on veg. Every 4th or so fill up I run on 100% diese l for 1/4 tank or so jjust to clean the injector pump.

The landy has done nowhere that milage and on a max 50% wvo (due to lucas pump) but is running fine. I run for 1/4 of normal diesel every so often.

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
probably the used veg oil contains less water (compare boiling points of water and oil) ...
make sure to have the fastfood crude oil really well filtered prior to filling that into your vehicle: fish´n chips in the fuel filter for sure will stop you when you´d need it the least

Yes, no probs. with old VW (swirl chamber) and Merc (pre chamber) and many other old style engines (Perkins, Renault, Volvo, MAN M-ball etc.): 40% veg oil mixed into standard diesel during winter, in summertime up to 60% veg oil
OR
a second fuel tank for pure veg oil with preheating system (heat exchanger in tank connected to engine cooling system) - using conventional diesel for the heating up process (while you´re driving)

Small direct injection engines might be a bit nervous with all the electronics in them

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE