veg oil / diesel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
Just as a general point, i'm not sure how relevant this is here, but if you can make your own then that could be a way of ensuring that your fuel production and use is close to being carbon neutral. If you produced it from your own waste anyway, and by growing a plot of tall grasses or something(?), on the other hand vegetable waste usually produces lots of methane (at least an order of magnitude more powerful a greenhouse gas than CO2) when decomposing in an anoxic environment, and is something to consider.

Generally it seems a good idea, but biodiesel is most certainly not, in terms of being 'green'.

Ian

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Theres a bloke I know who produces his own biodiesel from waste oil from his local schools and so on, no modifications to his van either.

Mind I think the kit that him and his mate bought cost about four grand though, but theres scope for selling the excess off to make some money back.

EdS

planning on running on straight veg oil rather biodiesel. In the Land Rover 50% in summer and 20-30% in winter, mixed with normal dino-diesel.

Still have to pay the higher rate of duty but for the amount I use it works out cheaper the messing around making biodiesel. Hoping that I can also get some waste veg oil for nothing, then just filter it.

Once I'm up and running I'll report back.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I know a mechanic that runs his car on almost pure veggie oil. Stinks like a chippy. Slightly lower milage to the gallon. I think he has decided to abandon the experiement as more trouble than it was worth.

Also people should remember that buying veggie oil from the supermarket for use in a car is evading duty.

EdS

Wayne, that is why I've registered with HMC&E - settle the duty up every month. Unfortunately it is 47p per litre the same as normal DERV. But I should get the oil cheap or free.

There are several cases on going about the getting the lower rate of duty, as paid on biodiesel, on SVO.

EdS

got the paper work through this week - typically on the day I put a full tanks worth in the Astra since I got it.

Going start with veg oil this coming week - the cars? Astra 1.7TD (not TDi) and Land Rover 90 (19J Falcon 2.5TD engine)

I'll let you know how it goes.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
EdS said:
got the paper work through this week - typically on the day I put a full tanks worth in the Astra since I got it.

Going start with veg oil this coming week - the cars? Astra 1.7TD (not TDi) and Land Rover 90 (19J Falcon 2.5TD engine)

I'll let you know how it goes.

Any news on how this is going so far??

EdS

so far:

Both vehicles running on a 50/50 mix new veg oil and diesel.

Astra - used 2 tanks of fuel with no noticable difference (other than smell) - if anything the engine is a little less noisey / rattles less

Land Rover - used around 1 tanks worth with no noticable differnence.

After every 3 or 4 tanks I intent to run 1/4 of a tank normal diesel just to purge the injector pump.

Next plan - finish filtering the used veg oil I got given and run that with 50/50 diesel. Although I might mix it with equal new veg oil for the first run (25/25/50 new/waste/diesel)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE