Using a hammock in a thunderstorm

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Snowfire

Forager
Jan 10, 2010
Cotswolds
Just wondering what folks thoughts and experiences are on using a hammock during a thunderstorm.

I've camped in a tent plenty of times during thunderstorms without any problems. But when I was a kid I was nagged to stay away from trees during storms and it's bugging me whether it's safer to be sleeping off the ground or on the ground during a storm.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
No more dangerous than a tent, in fact probably less so. Depends on location of course. All in all not worth worrying about really.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Interesting question. If you were hammocked to a tree that got struck, I'd not like to be there. Damaged trees, fires etc don't sound very nice. Or worse if the lightning jump to you in the hammock..

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
I just rely on probability. Assuming you're in wood you're just one of hundreds or thousands of equally attractive targets. As Jonathan and Shewie say, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference if you're in a tent or hammock. Two isolated trees on top of a hill... that's probably not too smart

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah - the advice to stay away from trees during thunderstorms mainly means isolated trees... If you're pitched off the only two trees in the middle of a plain, yeah, you've got problems. If you're pitched in a group of trees or a small wood, in a valley or other sheltered spot, you're probably OK.

J4C3

Forager
Apr 11, 2010
Derbyshire
did it recently if your already out and it starts and your in thick woodland then its up to you,i think the risk is minimal myself

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
The way I look at it, lightning has just traveled several 1000 feet through the air, so being a few feet of the deck ain't gonna help you. If it does hit the tree you're in, again a few feet ain't gonna make much difference. So if you are out in a hammock in a thunderstorm, I'd change your underwear just in case, but as long as you are sensible with your location...

Having said that, we had a lightning strike on a tree in our wood - at the bottom of the hill it is on and not the tallest. It's not so much the highest shortest route that lightning takes but the line of least resistance.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE