Day Out A place in the sun.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Bright warm sunshine, balanced by a chill breeze from the North West indicated where I should wander today. Beyond the high ground and down on the South facing slopes seemed to be a good plan, so a quick walk along the lake shore and over the bridge would see me in warmer climes.
The last big storm, I've lost track of the names, did quite some damage down by the lake, big trees down and others left in dangerous condition.

The trees are deceptive, many look in fine condition, at least to a layman, although the Forester's have marked many for felling, some still fell in the recent Storm.

A closer look reveals that all was not well with this seemingly healthy Beech.

Plenty of clearing work for the Foresters.

And amid all this destruction the Spring flowers are blooming and the woodland smells of Garlic where the fallen trees have crushed the Ramsons.

On the edge of the wood well away from the lake is this old fallen Ash Tree. It's one of my brew spots as the surrounding woods of gnarled and stunted trees gives good shelter from the wind from most directions.

The old Ash has been down for many years and is the source of a regular supply of King Alfred's Cakes although some life still passes through the fallen trunk as new shoots show again this year.

The natural arch looks tempting as a bivvy spot, although I think I would restrict myself only to throwing a tarp over it if caught in very heavy rain, but an overnight especially in bad weather could result in me being 5 feet 10 inches long and half an inch thick if the old trunk collapsed.:laugh:

The sunny southern slopes. Not as lifeless as at first they may look. A surprising number of Snipe sheltering in the long grass spring up as I walk through.

It's warm here and the views always give a feeling of space and solitude.

My constant companion today...

I've been walking for four hours now, it's two since the brew stop, so food time and a rest in the sunshine.

There's enough movement in the warm air to carry the sweet smell of the nearby Gorse to where I sit.

Home via a different route. I spotted Badger sign last time I was out this way and I think I know where Brock has his home, so I'll take a careful look.
New homes under construction..typical! any spare bit of ground and the Developers move in !!...:laugh:

The old homes look cosy enough, so it must be a growing family I suppose.

I'll creep away and leave them undisturbed.

On the way home now, this track was quite muddy a few hours ago, I left boot prints and had to step round the deeper puddles, it's surprising what a few hours sunshine and a chill breeze can do.

I have been careful not to make my little mate into a 'Pet' and cause him to become totally reliant on humans. I fed him occasionally when the weather was harder but as the year softens and food is easier to find I have stopped the regular handouts. He is sorting out territory with an interloper at the moment, so apart from the odd treat just to make sure he maintains a decent Featherweight fighting weight, he now has find his own rations..:laugh:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Looks like every place is a good place when you get some shelter from the breeze. You've made me thirsty, must put the kettle on.

I feed bread to the Ravens for the carbs and the calories, nutrition is a joke.
1. Deep snow. They all come into the village until the big cats the wolves and the coyotes dig out the road kills = super important winter food.
2. -20C and colder. It just isn't funny any more. I make no effort to mimic Raven-speak. Instead, I cough, three times. They learn fast that the bread crusts are coming by the handfuls.

Reactions: Toddy and saxonaxe

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Cracking walk that. We have a downed pear rather like the old ash. It's very dead but we're letting it return to the soil. It's taken 12 years so far. The invertebrates love it!

Reactions: saxonaxe

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Brilliant walk, thanks for the write up. Best of luck for your Robin this year.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Reactions: saxonaxe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE