Tyre Sizes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
For all of you car experts out there.

The tyres on my car are currently 235 / 55 / R17. I want to buy some all season tyres, but the ones that I want aren't available in that size, the closest is 225 / 55 / R17.

Will these fit on the rims without affecting the performance?

Cheers, Michael.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
The first set of numbers is the width of the tyre, the second is the wall depth and the third is the wheel diameter...

So the overall radius is not affected by the available size so I would say the performance should be OK, 10mm width variation will let the tyres cut in a bit deeper.

On my 110 CSW I had 750/16 tyres for when I was going to be on wet muddy ground so the tyres would cut deeper through the mud to the subsoil below, whereas on soft loose stuff the wider and lower profile tyres I had on a set of 8-spokes did the job quite well.

Hope that helps a little.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yep. However be wary if you change for a wider tire as the compatibility with the rims isn't the only consideration; you also need to sonsider if there's room in the eough wheel well so as the tires don't rub the fenders.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
You'll need to tell your insurance company too.
Putting different tyre sizes counts as a modification.

It will be an idea to notify them, but that would also be needed for any tyre change from "Standard" for that vehicle, i.e. winter tyres instead of summer tyres, also if you change rims from steel to alloy or alloy to steel, extra lighting, change of light fittings like bulbs from standard to performance.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE