two way radios updated to cb radios

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
Worth knowing that amateur licence holders are not allowed to respond to non-licenced users on amateur radio frequencies (except in emergencies I guess).
that is true, however it used to be discretionary for amateur licensed holder to advise non licensed holder to get off the air and or find out if there is an emergency

there is/was a clause that said that a license holder can in limited and controlled circumstances let a trusted party use their call-sign [providing they did not breach the rules] as before my dad passed away in 2008 i could of used his call-sign with his permission

i do not know if that is still the case yet worth trying to find out the correct updated knowledge

With the handheld CB, you may want to research into more efficient, external antennas. Because they operate on fairly low VHF frequencies, in order to have an efficient (i.e. 'powerful') signal you are best off with an antenna that is a 'quarter wave' - for CB frequencies, that's approximately 2.5 meters long - I suspect the antenna in your vintage CB handheld is substantially shorter! Higher frequency radios - such as the licence free PMR 446, or other radios in the high VHF or UHF bands need much shorter antennas to reach that magic quarter wave length, and thus in a real world, for the same wattage radio, have a much stronger output.

As has been mentioned, a mobile phone remains your best bet (unless you are prepared to invest in the whole emergency beacon or satellite phone route|) in reality, and although that's not as much fun, nor is needing to make an emergency communication!

To get the most out of your new handheld, look into options for external antenna - using wires, ground spikes etc, and i suspect that you could substantially increase its range.
the external antennas i am currently looking into are called vertical bazooka as is it often said to be the lightest and most portable and cheap to buy or make in any length

three main viable and portable options i see for suspension are

1. portable and collapsible flagpole or similar
  2. hoist to a branch or
  3. use of a drone

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
You've pretty much wasted your money for emergency use.

Phone with EE or Vodafone SIMs card - and GPS switched on.

Mobile phone coverage is better than handheld radio - and you can be located using SARLoc etc...

Set up 999 text is simple.

Text "register" to 999, answer yes to the reply... Done.

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
You've pretty much wasted your money for emergency use.

Phone with EE or Vodafone SIMs card - and GPS switched on.

Mobile phone coverage is better than handheld radio - and you can be located using SARLoc etc...

Set up 999 text is simple.

Text "register" to 999, answer yes to the reply... Done.
not for the long term as EE owned by BT vodafone and others have said they are switching off 3g network by 2023 and 2024 thereby the radios that use the 3g network will no longer be viable

both 4g and 5g have their health implications and are non-viable for me

EE will switch off 3G in 2023 to support 4G and 5G

there are others and i am sure you get the point of being prepared in advance and not waste my money on radios that rely on the 3g mobile phone network

then there are the times masts and-such go down, in the beginning of 2012 vodafone went down for over six [6] weeks before the local mast was repaired by none other than O2 as they stepped in due to the failures of vodafone

there have been various incidences whereby masts have gone down for two [2] or more days and or weeks

then if the rumours come true about the masts and grid switch off folk are not going to be able communicate with loved ones miles away or get emergency help

and then there will be less noise and radio waves will reach further distances and be much clearer

the 1970's and 1980's proved how valuable cb radios are long before the mobile phone masts and market appeared as they do not rely on such infrastructure that could be turned off or go down whereby reliant on third [3] party to fix

yes there are caveats as is with most things to take into consideration

as mentioned earlier i am also looking at the route of amateur radio license and have located a local radio club, yet that is non-viable right now thereby a cb radio will suffice for now

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
there is/was a clause that said that a license holder can in limited and controlled circumstances let a trusted party use their call-sign [providing they did not breach the rules] as before my dad passed away in 2008 i could of used his call-sign with his permission

i do not know if that is still the case yet worth trying to find out the correct updated knowledge
If you have a Full licence you can let some one without a licence send a message over the radio - as long as you are still operating the radio yourself.

Any licence holder is allowed to lend their equipment to rescue service personell and the like:

”The Licensee may use or permit the use of the Radio Equipment by a member of a User Service during any operation conducted by a User Service or during any exercise relating to such an operation in each case for the purpose of sending Messages on behalf of the User Service.”

Reactions: knowledge=gain

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
EE won't be switching of 4g. They are expanding its as they are the carriers for the next Airwaves rol out
there be non mention for 4g switch off as it is 3g that is being switched off

the only mention for 4g is that it and 5g have their health implications which are non viable options for i

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
If you have a Full licence you can let some one without a licence send a message over the radio - as long as you are still operating the radio yourself.

Any licence holder is allowed to lend their equipment to rescue service personell and the like:

”The Licensee may use or permit the use of the Radio Equipment by a member of a User Service during any operation conducted by a User Service or during any exercise relating to such an operation in each case for the purpose of sending Messages on behalf of the User Service.”
thank you for the updated knowledge

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
there be non mention for 4g switch off as it is 3g that is being switched off

the only mention for 4g is that it and 5g have their health implications which are non viable options for i
Curios to the health implications as you have mentioned them on a couple of occasions, is there something specific about 4/5g that is different to any other source of non ionising radiation such as uhf/cb communication?

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Worth knowing that amateur licence holders are not allowed to respond to non-licenced users on amateur radio frequencies (except in emergencies I guess).
In all honesty, its hard to know if someone is licensed, there are quite a few bogus call signs about, false or SK ones being used by unscrupulous people, and I doubt if any Radio Amateur would refuse to help in an emergency, as its quite common worldwide for Amateurs to become involved in helping victims of earthquakes floods etc.. and they have quite often been vital to the Emergency Services.
I suggest the OP gets in touch with his local Amateur Group who will be more than willing to help and advise him, as they would be aware of the local conditions and transmitting difficulties he is likely to face,.......................Just don't mention CB's.....LOL

Reactions: knowledge=gain

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
Curios to the health implications as you have mentioned them on a couple of occasions, is there something specific about 4/5g that is different to any other source of non ionising radiation such as uhf/cb communication?

here is a very interesting article by pubmed, there are many others out there for those that want to look for them

This article identifies adverse effects of non-ionizing non-visible radiation (hereafter called wireless radiation) reported in the premier biomedical literature. It emphasizes that most of the laboratory experiments conducted to date are not designed to identify the more severe adverse effects reflective of the real-life operating environment in which wireless radiation systems operate. Many experiments do not include pulsing and modulation of the carrier signal. The vast majority do not account for synergistic adverse effects of other toxic stimuli (such as chemical and biological) acting in concert with the wireless radiation. This article also presents evidence that the nascent 5G mobile networking technology will affect not only the skin and eyes, as commonly believed, but will have adverse systemic effects as well. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31991167/

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
In all honesty, its hard to know if someone is licensed, there are quite a few bogus call signs about, false or SK ones being used by unscrupulous people, and I doubt if any Radio Amateur would refuse to help in an emergency, as its quite common worldwide for Amateurs to become involved in helping victims of earthquakes floods etc.. and they have quite often been vital to the Emergency Services.
I suggest the OP gets in touch with his local Amateur Group who will be more than willing to help and advise him, as they would be aware of the local conditions and transmitting difficulties he is likely to face,.......................Just don't mention CB's.....LOL
i will be showing my face next week at their door and yes i will mention cb radios :rofl:

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Of course, but of someone goes on air and calls for a radio check without a callsign, then they should be ignored. Or reminded to use their callsign.

Having said that, the 2 m calling frequency is full of people listening (but not necessarily answering!) and I'd be surprised if everyone could resist the temptation to tell someone they're foing it wrong. Other parts of the band can really be deserted though.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hypothermia will kill you a lot quicker than any alluded to health implications from non ionising radiation (inc uhf /VHF).

Taking a useless radio rather than a phone is irresponsible and doing both yourself and more importantly the rescue teams a disservice - remember they are volunteers and have better things to do than search for people that gave deliberately compounded their situation

Reactions: Stew

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
i see some are not seeing the overall picture

@EdS what evidence have you got to support your claim for

Taking a useless radio

since my handheld have arrived i have found there are many cb operators in and around my local and my handheld as been reported as being picked up at around five [5] miles, thereby not useless at all

this map proves there be more than one [1] would first think viable for cb operators here in [great britain] https://www.thunderpole.co.uk/cb-radio-user-map.html thereby making the handheld 40 channel cb a viable option for emergencies

all devices like mobile phones or radio equipment cannot be one hundred [100] percent relied on for various reason as previously mentioned

there are many parts of [great britain] and other countries that does not have mobile phone signal, ask any seasoned backpacker hiker et al that have found out the hard way for verification

or a quick search for search term "places in britain with no mobile signal" yields

thereby it is best to have more than one method for communication even if just for emergencies

for those that choose to be wise and minimise things that harm their health because those things do actually cause harm to their health and are proven by doctors and by eliminating such things which their health improves should not be frowned on by any stretch of the imagination

yes it be true that there is other methods for emergencies such-as

signal-mirror
smoke signal
sos flashing torch
flares

and likely others too
that said they are non for being one hundred [100] percent reliant on either

same principles apply for having more than one way for starting fires or water-purification

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE