Tweed for the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My favourite thermal long johns are silk, as is my sleeping bag liner/sheet sleeping bag - thick cozy Thai silk in a rich purple!
Silk is one of the finest fabrics for performance wear, is much stronger than steel, weight for weight and feels supurb. If I could afford it I would wear silk undies all the time!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
SIlk, linen and then wool is an excellent combination in our climate :D Always comfortable.

And I second Doc's mention of Haggart's of Aberfeldy, wonderful materials they weave, I was given apersonal tour of their mill a few years ago and was so impressed. A small mill, they warp up and weave all their own fabrics and they only use the highest quality fibres.

Good, real, tweed ought to smell only of the plants used to dye the wool...bog myrtle, bracken, heather, peat soot and the like.

cheers,
Toddy

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
After Dr Livingstone was attacked by the Lion in Africa he noted:-

[quote="Dr Livingstone]
A wound from this animal’s tooth resembles a gun-shot wound; it is generally followed by a great deal of sloughing and discharge, and pains are felt in the part periodically ever afterward. I had on a tartan jacket on the occasion, and I believe that it wiped off all the virus from the teeth that pierced the flesh, for my two companions in this affray have both suffered from the peculiar pains, while I have escaped with only the inconvenience of a false joint in my limb. The man whose shoulder was wounded showed me his wound actually burst forth afresh on the same month of the following year. This curious point deserves the attention of inquirers.
[/quote]

...... and 163 years later (i.e. last year) I read an article in the Daily Mail that suggested this may well have been the case. Apparently "acid found in the dyes used in the tartan of his jacket may have neutralised the bacteria present after the attack in 1843. It may be that the dyes neutralised the pasteurella multocida carried by big cats."

So if you are going to get a tweed jacket get one that has been dyed in the traditional method ......... especially true if visiting countries where furry things with big teeth/claws are wandering around :D !

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Now there is a thought.

My sister is a Harris Tweed weaver on the Isle of Lewis. May have to ask her for some material and sweet talk my good lady Alison who is a dab hand at making clothes to knock something up.

Also I have in my attic my old Tiso plus fours I used to use in the eighties when I first got into climbing. A whole new Bushcraft look may be in order.

Any idea on what could be a good liner for a tweed style smock/swanni?

George

Thought I would revitalise this post.

My sister has sent me some tweed she has woven for my Christmas. Its colour is a mixture of green and brown.

I will be looking to source some inner lining in the New Year. Something like silk, cotton, ventile or goretex. Not sure yet what but a ventile type lining would be good I think.

I have picked up a pattern for a Viking Kirtle that Eric posted a link on. Possibly I will look to add a hood and some pockets to this.

If anyone has any other patterns for a knee length smock I could make it would be most appreciated.

I do not expect to complete this too soon as my wife Alison who is the chief seamstress in our house is expecting to give birth in early January. I aim to make as much of the smock myself under her tutoridge so hopefully by February I should have something.

Any more thoughts on lining sources or patterns not already mentioned in this thread would be great.

Merry Christmas to you all and have a blindingly good New Year.

George

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE