Track Identification Help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Looking for the trackers amongst us to help with this one. Came across these prints today. About the size of a domestic cat...

Print Tracking by British Red, on Flickr

Trouble is, I keep counting five toes there......

Seems too large for hedgehog and wrong for badger.....

I'm a bit stumped unless ....hare?

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It does seem wrong for hare Jon I grant you...but there are five toes on both left and right prints...???

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
That's just plain odd, the gait doesn't match up to anything in this country that I know of. Pity you didn't put something down for scale as I'm looking at these as domestic cat sized, which would rule out otter and mink. The pad and toe ratio, and gait are wrong for polecat too.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I'm stumped Red, that size rules everything out but rabbit, polecat and domestic cat. Too small for hare, all wrong for rabbit and polecat, and has one more toe than a domestic cat. I'm at a dead end, which means it is either a domestic cat species with birth anomaly or hybrid, or a non-native animal. Very interesting. Do you have more pics?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The fifth toe doesn't have the definition of the other four. It could be pronounced dew claw. It's not unknown for domestic cats to have two dew claws.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
You definitely have five toes there. Definitely not hare, rabbit or mustelid. It has to be cat. Although single dew claws clear the ground and are further back in tracks left.....

how-paw2.jpg

Deformation is common in domestic cats though ...

http://www.drawfurry.com/images/how-paw2.jpg

If it is not a dom cat, has to be non native oddity.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I agree everything make me want to say "cat", but there are oddities. The prints on the left (and the first close up) seem cat shaped. Those on the right (second close up) seem more "squashed" and shorter and not very cat like...

They were also following a much deeper set of prints...the large round depression in the first picture

I dunno....odd one

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks for the piccs Jon. I have a trail camera somewhere....might just rig it up and see what I can see

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It's just odd Red, the gait and the way it places it's feet are odd too, like it's been drinking gin. No idea what that single-toe type print is... Weird.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'll see if I can find any better prints tomorrow and get some proper pictures....thanks for the interest Jon and Mary :)

I like to think I can figure most things out, but needed some help with this one as I was just scratching my head!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep - Lincolnshire fens now. There certainly are Mink in the area but...no tail marks or the like. Also weasel, stoat, badger and hedgehogs are all fairly common but none seem to match

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE