Top 10 bits of kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushman762

Forager
May 19, 2005
N.Ireland
Hi Group,

its a real mine field out there...with lots of gear and lots of money involved.

i was wondering if anyone would care to start of with a list of must haves in their rucksack?

we can possibly get into finer discussions on brands and the likes when we get a look at the lists!

perhaps if we had a top 10 bits of kit list...for starters!

cheers everybody...and looking forward to seeing what everyone has or would like!
:)

nameless

Forager
Jan 1, 2004
at home
1)Frosts training knife

2)Firesteel

3) Sweedish army mess tin stove

4)Poncho (heavy duty)

5) First aid kit

6)Orange survival bag

Thats all i can really think of except maybe a mobile phone and food etc

Cheers
Adam

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
there was a thread somewhere about what you would do if while on your way to the woods you had your rucksack stolen and all you had left was £10 and whatever was in your pockets

if anyone can find it....................

point is it neednt cost you a fortune

the most basic basics i guess would be a knife, a cooking pot of some kind and a water carrier

firestarters for those of us that cant use a bowdrill...............yet ;)

a cheap poncho or even a bin bag or 2 to keep the water off and make a quickie shelter

course some of the nice gear is really nice, surefire torches, custom knives, berghaus rucksacks etc etc

as many have said in here, the more you learn the less you can get away with carrying :)

Tant

charliefox

Forager
May 16, 2005
County Durham
No one dare to put up the Gucci kit list yet? :D

1. Woodlore AW knife;
2. GBA SFA;
3. Berghaus Vulcan sac;
4. Hennessy hammock;
5. Hootchie;
6. Laplander saw;
7. Snugpak bag;
8. Thermarest;
9. Set of nesting billys;
10. Surefire Lumamax L4

Obviously I wouldn't want to pay for it in one go!

Anyone got any more expensive ideas? If I'm allowed to put an 11th item on it would have to be a Land Rover 90 :)

Feel free to abuse the suggestions but not the Landy, please :eek:

Chris

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
charliefox said:
No one dare to put up the Gucci kit list yet? :D

1. Woodlore AW knife;
2. GBA SFA;
3. Berghaus Vulcan sac;
4. Hennessy hammock;
5. Hootchie;
6. Laplander saw;
7. Snugpak bag;
8. Thermarest;
9. Set of nesting billys;
10. Surefire Lumamax L4
A custom knife such as something called an Usagi I saw the other day which cost about 4 grand; the Hennessy would have to be the Ultralite Backpacker version or the Ray Mears Eco system; the hootchie is not necessary with either the Eco or the Hennessy; the Snugpak bag I take serious issue with! I have had bad experiences with them and certainly wouldn't put them in my "ultimates" list - the Nanok Endurance -25 bag I would, although there are doubtless better bags out there, custom and costing 5k or so; the billys would have to be Titanium :D

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
1) compass
2) water bottle
3) large metal cup
4) iodine
5) all weather space blanket for quick shelter
6) magnesium-block fire starter
7) lighter
8) rope
9) poncho
10) knife

T

theorsmeister

1. Your knife is almost certainly the most important item, should be fixed, strong etc.

2. Knife and tool mantainance kit, eg Sharpening stone, oil etc. (very important, without it your knife can rust, or simply become unusable, make sure to carry items for other tools as well.

3. Firestarting kit, matches, firesteel, good lighter, at least one of these and perhaps some firelighters.

4. Sleeping bag - Always important, the weather can turn and although a shelter is good, in some parts it simply cannot be warm enough, so take a warm one, (about -12 is a good temperature to have)

5. Cooking equipment - A good billy or some messtins is very important as it makes for effective water purification and cooking. Billy cans are good as they can be hung over your fire.

These are the basics, anything over this will be an added bonus, usually I do not take anything else apart from the above but the following are only just out of the top five.

6. An axe - very good tool for shelter making, althouh a knife can split and cut down large trees if used correctly, it will never keep up with an axe. (A folding saw can go in this place, as well as a good gollock or parang (which are very good in temperate climate) but the axe is by far the best,

7. Basha - I have a standard DPM basha and it works great, easily put up and totally waterproof, can be used in conjunction with a natural shelter for great warmth and can be postitioned in a number of ways, also great for water storage.

8. Large water containers (in them keep some water purification stuff (chlorine for example).)

9. Paracord - lots of it as it is very useful.

10. Here take any personal preference, I cannot think of anything else that would not be deemed as cheating, if clothing is counted in the list a good waterproof might be useful. Also consider a sleeping mat, although these can easily be substituted in the wild.

I carry this in my Lowe Alpine Walkabout 35, which is perfectly big enough for bushcraft, any other comments would be good, cheers!!

fa11en ange1

Forager
Jun 20, 2005
Dover, Kent
www.fragraceandgame.com
Being new to this lark, I'm only just starting my kit.

At the moment this consists of:

1.) Frost's Classic Knife
2.) Oil Stone
3.) Army spec Trangia
4.) 35L Rucksack
5.) Rubber handled hatchet (not very bushcraft, but already had it for splitting logs for my open fire)
6.) Firesteel

I also want:

7.) A heavy duty Poncho, probably US
8.) Water bottles & Purification/Neutralisation kit
9.) Hammock
10.) Sleeping bag

Plus there are other bits but the above will be the top ten items in my kit for a while.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
fa11en ange1 said:
Being new to this lark, I'm only just starting my kit.

At the moment this consists of:
2.) Oil Stone

I would change this for a DC4 stone - more portable and can be used dry. Or else simply a charged strop. Come to think of it just rub some honing paste on the inside of your belt and use that - saves an extra item

T

theorsmeister

BTW Spacemonkey,

of all the films to want to base your bushcrafting on!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE