Timber advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

elrond

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2006
Alba
I have just received a load of green sycamore ( from a recently felled tree).
Can anyone tell me the best thing to do with it to make it last (shake free, preferably) - I intend to try some bowls, kuksas, spoons etc

should i remove the bark?
how should i store it?
etc

many thanks in advance for any pointers you can give

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
If you're leaving it for a long time, stand it upright, leave the bark on and paint the ends to keep the moisture in so it doesn't dry out too quickly. If you are working it green,that's the best way. If you're working it seasoned (the hard way), you can remove the bark to aid drying but still seal the ends. You can use paint, wax or Thompson's Waterseal. You'll need to sacrifice the ends though before you use it though. It's the ends drying before the midle that causes shakes, so sealing the ends just helps drying take place more evenly.

Eric

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Yep i seal mine also but just a little different . I use ash for my bows just as soon as it cut down and to length i have my wood glue with me waterpoof do the ends 2 or 3 times till it seals.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE