Three men in a wood... (very very pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I’ve just spent a very pleasurable weekend in a private wood just outside of Coventry.

There were only 3 of us until the Sunday when Chris had to then leave whilst Damian and I stayed on until the Monday morning.

It’s a lovely wood with lots of various areas with different feels, dense young larch growth, older more open Larch areas, open Beech areas and some other areas with a wide variety of trees so it was nice to wander round.

Anyway pictures tell the story a lot better than I do so here they are

The main camp area looking at our communal pitch
P1020914.jpg

My pitch
P1020917.jpg

P1020916.jpg

Chris’s pitch
P1020918.jpg

Damian looking very at home in his pitch :)
P1020915.jpg

The view from my pitch as I had a cup of tea
P1020912.jpg

On the Saturday Damian took Chris and I for a wander round the woods
P1020919.jpg

P1020925.jpg

P1020962.jpg

Whilst we were out we saw two species of deer, Muntjac and Brown deer. The brown deer are part of the herd maintained by the estate along with black deer.
There is a deer in this picture but very well hidden
P1020920.jpg

There was also lots of sign of raptor activity. We heard and saw a couple of buzzards circling around but I didn’t managed to get a picture of them. We also found a lot of kill sites showing that there’s sparrowhawks at work in the woods as well
P1020923.jpg

The woods are a haven for fungi but nothing was out at the moment apart from the birch polypore
P1020926.jpg

Whilst we were wandering round I came across this burl… you can almost see the face watching over the woods
P1020928.jpg

P1020929.jpg

As well as the raptors there were a lot of other birds out and about, long tailed and coal tits were flitting around in flocks, quite a few pheasants including silverback were running around and we heard woodpeckers and they’re obviously around looking at the state of this rotten birch
P1020934.jpg

This interesting stump was about 20 feet from my pitch (you can see it in one of the earlier pics). It’s obviously a home to something but what we don’t know
P1020931.jpg

When we got back Chris had a play with his new knife… a Paul Kirtley Raven knife. I hand a handle of it as was extremely impressed with the feel and build of it, it felt really comfortable in the hand.
P1020935.jpg

On the Saturday night Damian treated Chris and I to a Thai red curry…
Prepping the dutch oven
P1020944.jpg

In goes the meat
P1020945.jpg

Then the spices
P1020950-1.jpg

Followed by the coconut milk then the water chestnuts and bamboo shoots
P1020953-1.jpg
P1020952-1.jpg

And this was the end product… and it was as delicious as it looks I can assure you
IMAG0076.jpg

After that repast we just sat and watched the bush tv and had a great chinwag
IMAG0075.jpg

On the Sunday morning I treated myself to pancakes with maple syrup
P1020959.jpg

The final picture is a little warning to show folks why you should look up as well at any potential pitch
P1020960.jpg

This oak had a big split left in it when it lost a branch and creaked and clonked every time a breeze caught it so it won’t be too long before it comes down I reckon.

And that is it folks... I had a great time and just want to say thank you to my host for the weekend and I'm looking forward to going back again soon :)

.XII.

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2010
Dartmoor
The final picture is a little warning to show folks why you should look up as well at any potential pitch
P1020960.jpg

This oak had a big split left in it when it lost a branch and creaked and clonked every time a breeze caught it so it won’t be too long before it comes down I reckon.

thats a very good point - its easy to pick a site and set-up, but how many of us really reccie the spot before we pitch-up and cosy down??

great write-up btw goodjob

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Cool. Looks like an interesting wood with loadsa stuff going on around you. Cheers for sharing the pics with us.

I've been waiting for someone to review the PK1. So get to it man.

Woadhart

Feb 24, 2012
Fife
That's a nice fire tray you guys were cooking on. I always enjoy sitting and chatting in front of a fire and with a peice of kit like that there would be no trace of a camp once you packed up. Good stuff.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE