Thermarest or foam...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
I take a thermarest ultralight 3/4 in summer and I can use it in a hammock or on the ground.
In the winter I also take a german issue folding foam mat an isomatte, great bit of kit for the money £5 from:
http://www.flecktarn.co.uk/productsflc.html#bivouac

Extra insulation when it goes below freezing and an incredibly good sit mat when folded. It also fits behind the back of a PLCE Bergun taking up very little room and giving extra comfort on your back.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I guess I can say both. I use a Thermarest Ridge Rest foam pad in 3/4 length and find it very comfortable and during colder times, the design of the pad helps to trap warm air, which adds to a little to the comfort level. It is bulkier than the Thermarest self inflating pad, but is a little less weight.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Thanks for the advice everyone, I think i'll hassle the people in field and trek and get them to inflate a few in the shop so I can have a lay down.

:You_Rock_

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Squidders said:
Thanks for the advice everyone, I think i'll hassle the people in field and trek and get them to inflate a few in the shop so I can have a lay down.

:You_Rock_
thats what i do matie try before you buy, thats the best policy :biggthump

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
bushblade said:
The closed cell foam mats will in most cases insulate better than a Thermarest, but in terms of sleeping on the thing in UK conditions this is not noticeable. There is no reflective layer in thermarests they insulate in the same way as closed cell foam.

Will, I have to say that my experience is totally the opposite of yours.

My thermarests are much warmer than my karrimats which are the original and best yellow "expedition" pads.

The thermarest uses the same principle - air insulation trapped in foam to stop it circulating around - but is anywhere up to three times the thickness. Depending on the mat and how much your body compresses each of them, the thicker thermarest should be warmer.

I made the switch after buying a down bag and being surprised that I was much colder than in my old synthetic because of losing heat downward. The new Rab had loads more loft but compresses to nothing underneath. Swapping the karrimat for a thermrest solved the problem straight off.

I do use the thick camp rest and the medium thick guidelite matresses though, not the thin ultra-lites. :biggthump

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
To throw a spanner into the works I have been looking at the Exped down filled sleeping mattress in which the stuffsac works as pump, the down gives a massive increase in insulation and it is full length. £90 though....
Had a lie on it in the shop and it was sumptious. Its attached blurb tag sounded good. Only a little bit heavier than a Thermarest.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Danceswithhelicopters said:
To throw a spanner into the works I have been looking at the Exped down filled sleeping mattress in which the stuffsac works as pump, the down gives a massive increase in insulation and it is full length. £90 though....
Had a lie on it in the shop and it was sumptious. Its attached blurb tag sounded good. Only a little bit heavier than a Thermarest.
I looked at these and nearly bought it but two things put me off.

First blowing it up with the bag is tedies and slow. I did it in the shop, once and it took ages. I would not do it again. You cannot blow it up as the moisture from your breath reduces the down's insulation.

The other thing it that when inflated the mat is quite thick but not that wide so your arms are on the floor a few inches below your back. Felt awquard.

Good concept but not for me I am afraid.

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
What's the weight range of the Thermarests?

Ive always been put off because I imagine them to be heavy and easy to damage, all of my foam mats have cuts from normal use, I like to just chuck em on the ground and use them to sit on whatever the ground is like, they pick up a fair few cuts from being on the outside of my bag as well though, dragged over crags or through woods.

I must admit I dont sleep as well on a foam mat as I used to so the comfort factor of the Thermarest has huge appeal but I dont want sth fragile heavy and expensive!

Jason

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
jason01 said:
I like to just chuck em on the ground and use them to sit on whatever the ground is like, they pick up a fair few cuts from being on the outside of my bag as well though, dragged over crags or through woods

well thats the toss up init.. do you want a marginaly heavier matt which you have to be a little more carful with.. but that will give you a significantly better nights sleep IMHO..

or one you can do what you want with that will give you not such a great night on rough ground!

personally i offten pack Therm-a-reast in a hearvy duty dry bag which will stop thorns ect and carry it on the outside of my bag.. and have not found that i have been hindered by useing one.. i dont really do things differently!

im not sure what the weight difference is though? anyone know!?

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
Latest range Thermarest sizes and weights

Ridgerest series- Closed cell foam
Large 1lb. 3oz. (540g) 25x77x.625in. (63x196x1.5cm)
Regular 14oz. (400g) 20x72x.625in. (51x183x1.5cm)
Short 9oz. (260g) 20x48x.625in. (51x119x1.5cm)

Prolight4 series
Large 2lb. 1oz.(936g) 25x77x1.5in. (63x196x4cm)
Regular 1lb. 8oz. (680g) 20x72x1.5 in. (51x183x4cm)
Short 1lb. 1oz.(482g) 20x47x1.5 in. (51x119x4cm)

Prolight 3 series

Regular 20oz.(570g) 20x 72x1in.(51x183x2.5cm)
Short 13oz.(370g) 20x47x1in.(51x119x2.5cm)

Expedition series
Large 2lbs. 15oz. (1330g) 25x77x1.75in. (63x196x4cm)
Regular 2lbs. 4oz. (1025g) 20x72x1.75in. (51x183x4cm)
Short 1lb. 8oz. (680g) 20x47x1.75in. (51x119x4cm)

Trail series
Large 2lbs. 15oz. (1330g) 25x77x1.25in. (63x196x3cm)
Regular 2lbs. 4oz. (1025g) 20x72x1.25in. (51x183x3cm)
Short 1lbs. 8oz. (680g) 20x47x1.25in. (51x119x3cm)

Base Camp series
XL 4lbs. 3oz. (1890g) 30x77x1.75in. (76x196x4cm)
Large 3lbs. 8oz. (1590g) 25x77x1.75in. (63x196x4cm)
Regular 2lbs. 11oz. (1220g) 20x72x1.75in. (51x196x4cm)

They get even heavier but I don't think anyone here will be needing those.

Gives an idea of the comparable weights.
Its a good idea to take a repair kit with you when you use a thermarest and treat the mat with some respect to avoid punctures.

woodsitter

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2004
Amsterdam
I used Thermarest for several years. I did well usually but in winter it's still very chilly. You lose a lot of heat via the ground because your sleepingbag is compressed and it will provide limited insulation.

I have a exped down mat now and it is great. Much much better. You get 3 times the insulation 4 times the comfort at the same weight and half the packsize (you foild it before roling it up, so it will fit in your pack without trouble).

Of course is costs more. But not much more than a thermarest. If you buy it via some online shop it's even cheaper. I don't really understand what the problem was with your pumping. Actually I think it's genius.

The carrying sack is your pump, so no extra weight. It has a little vent in the bottom that connects to the valves of the mat. You put up your tent, unpack your mat and open the valves. Make dinner, eat dinner, put kettle on fire for tea, return to your mat and voila it's already halve full. Close one valve and connect the pumping bag to the other one, fill the bag with air (just open it) close the end and press the air into the mat, reopen the bag and repeat 5 to 8 times. Close the vent, drink your tea, sleep well. No hassle at all. Just don't blow it up with your lungs because the downs will get moist. And of course if you puncture it, you have a problem, but that's not different from a Thermarest.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I've tried em all Closed Cell, Inflatable, canvas with metal legs, rattan. But in my opinion the thermarest is the 'puppies peas' of sleep mats. Warm, comfy, simple and after 3 years of abuse mine is still peachy. Can't fault em' :super: :biggthump

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
alick said:
Will, I have to say that my experience is totally the opposite of yours.

My thermarests are much warmer than my karrimats which are the original and best yellow "expedition" pads.

The thermarest uses the same principle - air insulation trapped in foam to stop it circulating around - but is anywhere up to three times the thickness. Depending on the mat and how much your body compresses each of them, the thicker thermarest should be warmer.

I made the switch after buying a down bag and being surprised that I was much colder than in my old synthetic because of losing heat downward. The new Rab had loads more loft but compresses to nothing underneath. Swapping the karrimat for a thermrest solved the problem straight off.

I do use the thick camp rest and the medium thick guidelite matresses though, not the thin ultra-lites. :biggthump

Depends on which closed cell mat you compare to which thermarest, most closed cell mats would insulate marginely better than the pro lite series which I was recomending. If you were to compare this to a ultra lite or guidelite that the pro lites have replaced, then the thermarest would insulate more. Likewise the expeditions at 5cm's thick and using guidelite/ultralite technology would insulate more, and the base camps with solid (non die cut) foam would insulate even more still.
We sell some 13cm thick high density closed cell foam mats at work, which certainly insulate as well as a expedition but nowhere near as comfortable.
The point I was trying to make was that there is no reflective layer in thermarests, they insulate in the same way as a closed cell mat just as you described above. :biggthump

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Absolutely, :biggthump

And thanks for "ranking" them too Will. Now what could I do with a 13cm closed cell foam mat :eek:):

Certainly wouldn't get thistles through my groundsheet anymore :rolmao:

Cheers

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I may end up going for the Expedition series (Large).. in fact, I may pop into town and brave the crowds and get one today.

Thanks for all the help all :You_Rock_

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
alick said:
Absolutely, :biggthump

And thanks for "ranking" them too Will. Now what could I do with a 13cm closed cell foam mat :eek:):

Certainly wouldn't get thistles through my groundsheet anymore :rolmao:

Cheers

My mistake that was supposed to be 13mm not 13cm :oops:

We do have some mats that are 10cm thick but they are realy overkill.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I had a lay down on the expedition one and it was fairly uncomfortable... maybe I just have a heavy rear end but it hit the deck through the mat when I was laying down.

I may have a look at the larger one they recommend for car camping and just be a man about lugging it about :roll:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE