Thermarest or foam...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have a quick question... or two, maybe even three.

I currently have a few foam mats for sleeping out and they do an admirable job of keeping the chill from the ground out and for making any pointy bits on the floor comfy.

They're not very forgiving on my back though.

I have been thinking about getting a thermarest for some time but i'm more than a little dubious about their ability to maintain shape and keep the heavier bits of me off the ground.

I have squeezed one or two in shops and they seem to give really easily, are they ok when you're laying on them?

I was looking at one of the larger ones in the range for comfort.

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Go Thermarest-I doubted them at first but even the ultralight 3/4 ones have transformed my sleeping. They're warmer, softer and smaller pack size means they can go in a pack and not get wet on the outside. I imagine the base camp style ones are luxury.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
squidders.. if you just squidge them with your thumb then you are bound to be able to touch if you lie on them spreading your whole weight over the whole surface are then it will support you nicly as it is air tight..

i would 100% recoment them!!! :wave:

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I don't like the 3/4 ones as a full length version weigh's very little more and yet protects your bag so much better.
I have a standard one and a delux.
The standard is half the size of the delux when rolled up but the delux is very very comfortable.
Check the whole range as i think there are quite a few now.
The cheaper versions are heavier.
Highly recommended.

rb

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
thermarests have revolutionized outdoor sleeping, and few things are more important than getting good night sleep as it effects everything (including your safety) that you do the next day.

get one, you wont regret it.

I recommend the US military version as it is more hardwearing and so better suited to bushcraft.

they are not imported into the UK though so you will have to buy from the US :(

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Another vote from me as well. You think they can't be that good or worth the cash but spend one night on one and you will change your mind.

If you are comming to Ashdown Joe let me know and I can bring a spare T'rest for you to try out if you like.

Bill

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
Never ever Therm-a-rest for me.
I had a cut in the brim (correct word?), so both sides of the mat were damaged. On the tour it was not possible to repair it - I really tried (Tape, Nylon patches,PU)!
I had to send it to Therm-a-rest, even the outdoor-shop didn´t know what to do.
And if it´s very cold, you have a problem anyway.
Of course there are many advantages. But experience counts. An important part of the equipment should be bombproof or easy to repair.

Sometimes foam means pain, less recovering... but you get used to it.
It´s nice warm, touch it with your cold hand and you feel warmth immediately.
Lightweight but bulky. And I prefer the 14mm version. 10 mm is warm enough, even in winter (up to -20 !?), but 14mm means comfort, better sleep.

But it took me ages before I found out my backpack-system, in which this bulky foam mat fits inside the pack. That´s a problem if you want a compact shape!

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Therm-a-rest all the way for me, I used to get really cold from losing heat to the ground, foam doesn't insulate that well. The therm-a-rests act by reflecting heat back up so you don't get cold. At the NEC this year they had a display with the mats on a bed of pebbles, when lying on them you couldn't feel a thing as they disperse your weight over the whole surface area.

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
i also like therma-rests more than the foams, they are more comfortable and smaller, but they are easier damaged, there for you have to carry it in the bag instead of strapping it on the outside.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
foam for cold weather or bivi's thermarest the rest of the year,

spend the money you won't regret it!

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Thermarest most defiantly, Its most important to get a good nights sleep while your out, its a recipe for disaster if your tired and are using sharps so good bedding down kit is top of the kit list IMO, I've got a self inflating pillow also this I wouldn't recommend unless you have about 7 on top of each other!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Ok then... since all bar one or two think they're the proverbial danglies...

I have been looking at the verious versions from the base camp ones to the ultralight ones. The basecamp ones are too big to fit in my pack (and being a thermarest I have to keep it safe and protected right?) but are fairly cheap and deeply padded.

The smaller ones aren't so large but not that much in it for some reason with the packed size and they are thinner and cost loads more... why can't they make 2 versions of the thing, one heavy, one light... there you go.

55cm x 11cm packed seems a little large for a mat i have to keep inside my bag... any tricks or tips on which one?

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
Squidders said:
Ok then... since all bar one or two think they're the proverbial danglies...

I have been looking at the verious versions from the base camp ones to the ultralight ones. The basecamp ones are too big to fit in my pack (and being a thermarest I have to keep it safe and protected right?) but are fairly cheap and deeply padded.

The smaller ones aren't so large but not that much in it for some reason with the packed size and they are thinner and cost loads more... why can't they make 2 versions of the thing, one heavy, one light... there you go.

55cm x 11cm packed seems a little large for a mat i have to keep inside my bag... any tricks or tips on which one?

The Pro lite 3R or 3S (Regular or Short) would be well worth you looking at. Expect to pay £55-£60 for the short and about a fiver more for the full length version. Many people would say go for the full length version but this is an entirely individual choice. I personaly would choose the short version out of the 2 as I carry a sit mat, which gets put under my feet for sleeping, and a dry bag full of clothing becomes my pillow. I'm 5'10" and that system has my whole body covered. The short weighs in at arround 360g IIRC and works better in a hammock than a full length.
If using a bivi bag put your thermarest inside your bivi bag to sleep this keeps everything together better and protects your thermarest. Don't worry about damage to the bottom of your bivi bag as this area does not need to be breathable so can be repaired easily with duck tape, many top end bivi bags have non breathable coated nylon as the base allready.

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
Lithril said:
Therm-a-rest all the way for me, I used to get really cold from losing heat to the ground, foam doesn't insulate that well. The therm-a-rests act by reflecting heat back up so you don't get cold. At the NEC this year they had a display with the mats on a bed of pebbles, when lying on them you couldn't feel a thing as they disperse your weight over the whole surface area.

The closed cell foam mats will in most cases insulate better than a Thermarest, but in terms of sleeping on the thing in UK conditions this is not noticeable. There is no reflective layer in thermarests they insulate in the same way as closed cell foam.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I have an ultra-lite which I think are now the Pro lite ones Bush Blade mentions. They fold in half to pack making them small enough for a big side pocket on your rucksack. The comfort is fine so I don't see that a thick one is needed. If it is winter and warmth in an issue take a karrimat as well but you will only need it a few times in the year so this way you don't have to lug a big Termarest all year when you don't need it.

Bill

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
If you're going to carry a Thermarest on the outside of your pack, don't rely on the carrycase supplied with it to keep it dry. I've found it best to tightly wrap the Thermarest in two of those thick plastic pack liners - the ones that usually have either the Countryside Code or Internation Distress signals on them - and then put all of that in the case supplied with the Thermarest. It's not a perfect watertight solution but has kept mine dry thru some pretty harsh treatment over the years, including a few beachlandings and plenty of river crossings.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE