Thermarest fun...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I called Field & Trek before lunch and asked about their therm-a-rest stock and they told me they had a standard model in regular...

I drove to the store, parked up, paid and displayed and found they didn't have any and that the Field & Trek website is treated as a seperate company to the stores...

After giving the bloke at the counter some verbal (In a nagging way, not abuse) he offered to honour the price I was going to pay and give me the next model up that they had in stock...

I now have a nice new Base Camp XL therm-a-rest for not a lot of money... big innit!!!!!

Still, Eloise should be comfy at the Ashdown meet.

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
Lucky git. I have been toying with the idea of getting a therarest, roll on next pay day, cos after jans meet, I aint sleeping on the floor of me tent and freezing again :D

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Note to self --- next time I need something send Joe!!

Nice mate -- dont come shopping to me though!! :yikes:

jack29g

Forager
Sep 17, 2004
Leicester
sorry can't answer that one but. I had a bit of trouble with mine, during a night out in feb the therm a rest went down, was this the cold or something because i know it hasn't got a leak

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
hint to stop the fatefull rolling game put the thermorest in you bag works great and even better if youre suspended in between to trees seems to give you more warmth as well maybe inflate slightly less and its brill....

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Scally said:
hint to stop the fatefull rolling game put the thermorest in you bag works great and even better if youre suspended in between to trees seems to give you more warmth as well maybe inflate slightly less and its brill....

Is that in the sleeping bag or in the bivi bag ? might sound silly, but i watched the RM eco sleep system dvd the other day and he suggested using the thermarest inside the sleeping bag in colder weather when hammocking. As anyone tried that ?

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
i've not heard that before.

as for sliding off i have camped in some quite slopey places and the only two solutions i've found are these:

1: stack up all your gear along the side of the tent you are sliding towards, this helps but you still will have to push back on the mat occasionally during the night.

2: use a strap system. :Crazy_071 no seriously, once i was so fed up with the sliding down hill i pegged my old army hammock to the ground outside the tent, fed the straps through the door and slept on it the hammock has a pocket i assume to stop you slipping off which kept my feet in one place all night!

funnily enough on my course a few other people independantly and unknowing of my idea, suggested a simular idea!

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
I've found that putting the thermarest inside the Bivvybag works best.
putting it inside the sleeping bag may work well, but it can't be as cosy as having the soft down next to your skin. Kinda like puting cardboard inside your thermals. :shock:

Cheers,

Martin

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
First time I've read these replies.

Never thought about shoving it inside the bag,good idea.The trouble is I got the base camp XL as well,the one I ordered wasn't available,and it is quite BIG :rolleyes:

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
A 3/4 length mat is perfect for putting inside the bivvy bag or sleeping bag. Something like the Therm-a-rest prolite models (or similar cheaper options available) as it is shorter/ thinner with a non-slip surface on one side.

How about fixing some rubber strips or patches onto the mat to reduce slippage?

GrahamD

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 2, 2004
Sussex
We have the same problem with us sliding off the Thermarests and the mattresses moving around a larger tent - we've sorted two ways to solve the problem;

1. Put your spares to the side of the matresses and this fills up the available space.

2. Try some of the non slip matting from car accessory shops - it is meant for stopping things moving in estate cars but we use it under the thermarest on the groundsheet - it keeps the mattress in place.

Graham.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
apply thin stripes of 'freesole' glue across the mat (not for glueing you to it :rolleyes: ) when it drys it leaves rubberised nonslip stripes which are very hard wearing.

Freesole-main.jpg

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i recently bought a highlander thermalite pad. just like a thermarest but only costs £20. i compared it to my mates thermarest and there was very little difference (only the valve was different but they both worked the same way).
worth a look.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Stuart you're a marvel, I've been sleeping with the mat inside the sleeping bag as I always ended up on the floor gettting cold.

Cheers Mate

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE