The New Forest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
I have anuall leave comming up in late October and i thought it might be fun to spend a few days camping ala bushcraft in the new forest.
Does anyone know about right of way and freedoms in the forest?
Things i should look out for and stay clear of?
How big is it?
Is it full of nutters lol?
Can one just go along and live so to speak?
Any realy bushcrafty info on the forest?
Can you think of somewhere better suited to walk into and find wood for a week long shelter?
Etc etc.
Sorry about the eweeping questions but i have no experience with this place and google just brings up hotels when i want swampy ( well sort of, you know what i mean lol ) .

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I understand that it is illegal to camp in the New Forest outside of designated camp sites. Is that correct folks?

Is there a list somewhere of areas in the UK that it is permitted to camp outside of designated camp sites? I remember doing a 3 day hike on Dartmoor as a scout many years ago.

bilko said:
Thanks for that goose.
I won't start moaning about not being able to camp unless in a designated site.
Maybe i should look at dartmoor or somewhere else. Doesn't have the same apeal about it though :(
If you do decide to go for a wander to Dartmoor, this leaflet might be of use. The lack of camping in The New Forest is a pity, but as it's so accessible, just imagine what would happen if every Tom, Dick and Harry (and I'm not talking about responsible bushcrafters obviously) decided to go and camp in the woods :eek: I did think about enquiring about the prospect of a rough camp site for bushcrafters, but a couple of informal enquires convinced me that even if the authorities went for it (unlikely) they would charge an extortionat fee for the use of it :(

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Tis a shame, as the New Forest is ace for walking. Trouble is that everyone goes there so it can get a little crowded. Luckily most townies never stray more than 100yds from the car park, as that is enough nature for them and they'd probably get lost. However, it is virtually impossible to get losy inthe Forest as a road is never more than 15 mins walk away! Dartmoor is a better bet out of season. A good spot for rough camping in the trees is the woods north of Burrator Resevoir. You can park up in Princetown and walk out from there for a good overnighter, or maybe longer if you fancy. Optionally, how about shooting along the A40 to Brecon Beacons? Closer to home for an overnighter is the land north east of Sandhurst Rupert Academy. A large area above Camberley/Bracknell with plenty trees etc. Must be the closest woods to London.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Spacemonkey said:
Closer to home for an overnighter is the land north east of Sandhurst Rupert Academy. A large area above Camberley/Bracknell with plenty trees etc. Must be the closest woods to London.

It's called Bracknell Forest and the whole way from the back of the RMA right over past Upper and Lower Star Points all the way to Bracknell and the Look Out is very strictly no camping and no fires. Part is owned by the MoD, part by Crown Estates and the rest by the Local Council.
I know the local warden/ranger and although you are unlikely to be caught there due to it's size I can assure you that they will always prosecute if they do find you there....

Sorry to put a bummer on things but we need to stay legal on this forum :)

Cheers,

Bam. :D

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
thanks for all the heads up folks.
Do i realy have to but a ticket to Canada then?
It truely is a sad state of affairs. I realise that the general public would do more harm than good.

I was seriously looking at woods 4 sale today. but even in your own wood you cannot make a permanent dwelling ofr fell more that 4 ( i think ) cubic metres of timber without authority.
Long term i think it will be Canada. Hopefully when the kids are 18.So i'll be 44 :D
Argh!, this is so frustrating.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
bilko said:
even in your own wood you cannot make a permanent dwelling ofr fell more that 4 ( i think ) cubic metres of timber without authority.

Yes you can, all you need is a felling licence and they aren't hard to get and don't cost very much.... question is, if you have a nice wood why would you want to fell it :confused:

I'm not even convinced you ned a felling licence if you're not selling the wood on commercially....trying to think back to the rules I learned in my NPTC feling courses.... :confused:

Bam. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE