The Kraken Attack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Thank you.

I think the key thing is to be decisive with your design. Bend the tines in one direction and stick to it, don't change your mind half way through and change direction because cold metal doesn't like being bent one way and then the other. It tends to snap.

I started at the tip which generally bends easily and then worked down towards the thicker metal at the base which bends less well.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Next time I do something like this I might try it with a bit of heat.

Not sure how nickel Silver behaves when hot but it might be worth experimenting.
I've used heat with epns a few times in the past and found that as long as I didn't go too far and try to get a forge-hot glow it works fine and bends nicely; some of the bits that were overheated actually took on a nice rustic look, but I'm not sure if I would be able to repeat that. I took to using a heat gun for bending and that works a treat.

Reactions: Wayland

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
A dull just-before-red is what I found great for bending; my heat gun on the high setting achieves this superbly, and I was a little concerned that the bare flame might have been too much for the plating but I didn't try it out.

Reactions: Wayland

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Gary, Yes I am coming for the May Meet :) I have several bits for my set up, and bring a few extra bits and pieces which may work into more kit or pass on to others to try out for use.

It will be great to see you there, I'll edit you in to the confirmation thread.

If you could let me know your tentage / accommodation needs that would be helpful.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE