The Bear Grylls knife for a bargain price of £350

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well put Red! Well put Wayland!
The man may have done some incredible things with his life but from the little I have seen of his activities on the box he is endangering people that he is suposed to be educating!
888888888 is about the mark! Good for a laugh (as a spectator!) but not to be taken as good practice....

ddokkum

Forager
Feb 16, 2007
The Netherlands
That's funny. I don't recall seeing Bear use one like that either. :D Wonder if he got the idea while sitting in his hotel room in Florida?

I just saw episode 6 of the new series and there it was...

BGinepi6.jpg

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
No. Most people on here slate him for promoting downright dangerous ways of getting out of a survival situation.

Fortunately most people here know better than to emulate the stunts he gets up to in his TV series but there are people out there that might think it is the right way to act and frankly that could result in making a bad situation a damn sight worse.

I have no problem with people making money, I have no problem with them becoming celebrities either. I definitely do not need to be jealous about peoples lifestyles.

What I do have a very big problem with is giving people bad information disguised as "expertise" and that is why I will never have a shred of respect for Edward Grylls. :cussing:

That was very well said Wayland, so...DITTO!
:)

markw

Forager
Jul 26, 2005
Leicestershire
Evening all,

Slightly off topic but....

Russell Coight's All Aussie Adventures (Aussie comic Glenn Robbins of Cath & Kim), check it out on YouTube. Kind of Ray meets Bear meets Croc Dundee, very funny imho:lmao: :lmao:

Although I think Ray and Croc would see the funny side, Bear, probably not.

Mark

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
Lol not another BG thread :yelrotflm

Face it, the man is a 888, plain and simple, i have no doubts over his abilities or achievements, but at the end of the day, his TV show as BR pointed out a few months back was actually advertised by a channel 4 spokeswoman as a survival guide, sorry, but i don't class drinking Elephant crap as very survivalish.

The things he promotes doing in his show are downright dangerous, and even if he gets onto a good bit of advice, he is too busy portraying himself as a super hero to tell it.

Ray Mears needs to give him a few Judo smacks and show him how its really done, those survival techniques may work for him, but in the ''real'' World by a ''normal'' person, i very much doubt they would be able to be pulled off succesfully without incurring dysentery or being eaten by wild animals.

WilliamEd

Sep 3, 2007
Yorkshire
Sorry if I rock the boat a little here but I actually quite like the guy. He makes entertaining TV, and that is all I see it as. If we are really honest and you were ever to get yourself into one of his (supposed) real life survival experiences and had only ever used his shows as survival research......you kind of deserve to get into trouble.

I think his shows are designed more to get a nation of tv addicts up off the sofa and get into the local woods playing action man, rather than been a teaching documentary for people planning journeys to Patagonia or the Mongolian Plains.

Everyone has the option not to watch it, and as for selling a knife... is that not just part of the par. The RM Woodlore knife is around the £300 mark and to the majority of people that seems acceptable, 60-70% of these endorsed knives will probably never be used in anger, instead kept by collectors to sell at a massive profit on ebay the day after we all see a live video feed of Bear getting eaten by an allegator.

I genuinly am sorry if I offend people with this, but as stated before he has worn the t-shirt. From been in the regiment to climbing Everest, a lot of work is done for charity and a lot of money raised. If a tv company offered me a six figure contract to drink a bit of camels sh*te every now and again, eat a couple of scorpions and occasionally sleep in a deer carcase..........I would bite their hand off.

I think the most important thing to remember that if you plan to go to extreme zones and hope to survive, don't watch a channel 4 documentary and think you'll be alright. It is just TV. Get yourself booked on a course, practice in local surroundings until you can carry off procedures as second nature, I have watched Stallones Cliffhanger, K2 and even National Geographics "Surviving Everest" but still think I need a bit more training before attempting Everest.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sorry if I rock the boat a little here but I actually quite like the guy.

I think his shows are designed more to get a nation of tv addicts up off the sofa and get into the local woods playing action man,

And therein lies the problem - he doesn't make the outdoors an appealing place - he makes it look dangerous and threatening

60-70% of these endorsed knives will probably never be used in anger,

I hope 70% of knives are NOT "used in anger" :eek: . A knife should be used calmly and carefully as a tool. Although the Bear knife is described as "cool" and having an "action sheath" which is NOT how to describe a tool

If a tv company offered me a six figure contract to drink a bit of camels sh*te every now and again, eat a couple of scorpions and occasionally sleep in a deer carcase..........I would bite their hand off.

Don't say that too loud - he will do a show featuring "the other white meat" next :rolleyes:

Actually on a serious point, there are people around with morals and a conscience who would not tell lies and give downright dangerous advice just to make a few bucks. I for one do not think that this notion of "celebrity" is worth putting peoples lives in danger. The man is a Walt and a dangerous Walt at that - he doesn't teach people to survive (as he claims) he gives plain bad advice to line his own pocket. That deserves no plaudits - just contempt

Red

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Guys, I've already closed one thread down because it went on about BG, leave it alone.

It is a daft price for the knife, it is using his name to up the value...I'd suggest you don't buy one :D

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
When was the last time any of you climbed Everest? !!!!
I rest my case!!

You should wait for an answer before you start resting cases.

The man climbed Everest, it is a great achievement, but it doesn't sway form the fact the man is a donut.

And sorry Tone, as you have noticed BG is not very popular :lmao: ;)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Oh, I know he's not popular;) There's a lot more ways of saying that though than some of the stuff that's being said, the fact that i have to go through the thread editing language out that suddenly seems acceptable because it's got a few ****'s in it and because people seem to be able to generate a level of vehemence that makes whatever they say ok.

He he, now i'm ranting but I'm sure people get the point. Every thread that has BG any where near it descends into a hugely negative thread about him personally.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Just to be a real pedant, Everest isn't the tallest mountain on Earth, it is the highest above sea level. Hawaii's Mauna Kea is 33,476 feet (10,203 meters) from the bottom of the Pacific Ocean floor to its' peak. Saying that, Chimborazo in the Andes is only 20,561 feet (6,267 meters) above sea level but its' peak is the furthest from the centre of the Earth.

And Bear Grylls is the biggest twit of them all!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE