The Bear Grylls knife for a bargain price of £350

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ddokkum

Forager
Feb 16, 2007
The Netherlands
Followed a link which directed me to this site http://www.bayleyknife.com/beargrylls.htm

A real genuine official real deal super Bear grylls knife for only £350
bear_01_hd.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I quite like the look of this knife and sheath and the price does not seem TOO steep....
I just hate the grafitti on the blade!:lmao:

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I am no way any expert on knifes, so what makes that rather ordinary looking knife £350..? Is it solid silver..? Or is it cos it says Bear on it...? I bet some of the people on here could knock up something as good (if not better) than that for less money...

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I am no way any expert on knifes, so what makes that rather ordinary looking knife £350..? Is it solid silver..? Or is it cos it says Bear on it...? I bet some of the people on here could knock up something as good (if not better) than that for less money...

I have just commisioned a Stuart Mitchell knife for quite a bit less than this!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What does that sticky out bit on the handle do ??? It looks rather uncomfortable !!

I like the look of Bayley knives, good choice of materials but £350 is way out of my range for a hand tool.

Rich

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I think the Name may have a bit to do with it, but you've got to remember that the guy is a professional knife maker. He's got materials, manufacturing, consumables, tools, time, VAT, electricity bill's, gas bill's, food bills, insurance, fuel, tax, no sick pay, no holiday pay, he's got to feed and clothe his family as well as keep a roof over their heads. Lets say in materials and consumables alone it costs £200, that means that he makes a maximum of £150 per unit. How many units does he sell a month? How much would keep you over the breadline per month?

I'm not being anti but i hope this puts things into perspective. Knife makers, even the best ones, don't descend their regal staircase in mink slippers and matching dressing gown, to eat caviar and drink bucks fizz at breakfast before entering a spotless, centrally heated workshop to do 10 minutes work on a piece of pig iron, put a stamp on it before flogging it for the same as a third world country's deficit.;)

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey

It's because it says Bear on the blade and sheath. There are many reasons to pay this much for a knife, but in this case, that you could get 'better' knives elsewhere isn't any more relevant than it is in the case the Woodlore.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Take your point Jed, and if its worth that, then fairy nuff. Its just I see decent knives for sale for a lot less than that....
I have never watched any of this guys programmes but I get the impression he is an army version of Mr Mears, a bit gung ho even... This knife to me looks almost military with is angular shapes rather than the smooth shape of the classic woodlore. There is no warmth about the knife. Am I being unfair..? Is it a usable tool or something for a collector's drawer..?

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Without wanting to start the old, 'HOW MUCH...!' debate, wether it is worth the skill, materials, consumables and overhead's, to have an endorsment from a TV celebrity, no matter how tenuous, or how that TV personality is percieved, must be a dream for a knife maker. I think the blade material is RWL 34. Dougster reckons it's the puppies when it comes to material, so i'm thinking the suplier is going to put a mark up on it for that alone. The blades are 4mm thick, too thick for me, but favoured by some. It's designed to be a user but i think that the fact it is a BG signature model may be it's undoing as well as it's endorsment. Then again, there may be a backlash by BG supporters!

With regards to the angular handle, in the days of old (Whoa) in the west, the old Bowie knives used to have handles very similar to this. They were called 'coffin handles' and it's easy to see why. Those knives were used by trappers and mountain men as well as gamblers and carpet baggers and they were around a lot longer than the 'Woodlore' style knife. Not knocking it, i am a fan, but just because it's different, don't make it bad. Again, i haven't actually handled one so i cannot say wether i'd like it or not. Only one thing is definate, i won't be buying one!

When it is said that other 'Better' knives can be had on here and BB for less, well, i would'nt like to say what is better or worse, but hobbyist makers who don't depend on their product as a sole income can charge as much or as little as they like. Some guys on BB sell their knives at cost, the amount they have paid for the materials and consumables, just so they are not out of pocket and can buy more materials to enable them to make another knife.

Yes, the BG conection may be a little galling, but take that away and you've still got a knife maker trying to make end's meet and feed his family.

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
*checks out the knife*

Not bad.. handle is a tad sharp looking.. as in.. sharp corners.. gimme a heckuva pain. I would prefer a drop-point over that clip-point.. other than that, not bad looking...

*checks out the price*

*faints*

happybonzo

Tenderfoot
Dec 17, 2005
Nr Emsworth, Hants
Merciful heavens, £350 for a knife. I thought that I was being a bit silly when I paid out £65 for one of Cold Steel's offerings. I used a Frosts for years and would have carried on using it until I made the mistake of lending it to a **** who broke it.

reddeath

Forager
Jul 29, 2007
Kilkenny, ROI
Apart from the knife - has anyone used a sheath in that style ? not necessarily one that looks like a nokia phone pouch but horizontal for a full size knife?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE