The “Isn't Life Great” thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
When I grow up I'll try and remember that advice :)

I'm still smiling to myself this evening, everytime I think about it. In fact I've been smiling ever since.
I had a realy crappy morning, but those few minutes at lunchtime changed the whole feeling of the day for me.
It felt very naughty, I could hear my mother shouting at me to "get out of the puddles and act my age". :)
My shoes are still wet, but it sure was worth it!

Reactions: Toddy and Broch

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have been working in the garden. Cutting back the Beech hedge and the wild roses, the honeysuckle, and a random bramble that took root next to the Rowan tree.....and I'm not sore :D :D
Even tonight, my hands, wrists, elbows and shoulders are not aching. My hips and ankles are flexing normally, without heat or pain.

R.A. can be a misery, and I used to be so very active, fit and able, and days like this, when I can work hard again, and enjoy it; those are gold :D

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Just cut the top of my front hedge.
This may not sound like much but it’s 2M high after it’s cut and 1.5M wide and this bit is 25M long. I have been cutting it once a year for 45 years, removing up to 700mm at a time. There is still the sides and loads more to cut but this is the bit that requires ladders. It’s normally all done by end of October but not in this recent rain.

So:
I’m sitting here with a dish of mango and ice cream and thinking - one more year has passed and I’m still able to do it - and I’m very very grateful.

The next annual test is the pinch-grip traverse of the bay window to put up Xmas lights.

These are just two of the activities which cause me to ask of myself, “what the hell are you doing this for you silly old bugger?”

……. because I still can and it’s great.

Reactions: CLEM and Toddy

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Working in the garden today taking out the spent runner bean vines, found some nice pods that had been hidden and now have next years seeds. (I'd forgotten to save any pods)
A bit later I had a bad fall on the slippery ski slope of the grass, landed on my bad hip in the pile of rose Bush trimmings ready to go in the burn bin...ouch! Realy thought I was in trouble, as i hit the deck with full force, but thankfully, I'm fine. No serious injury, which I'm very happy about, but had to pick a fair few rose thorns out of my jeans and backside!!!!. :) :)
I must have looked a sight when I stood up with all those rose trimmings adhered to me.
Comedy gold.

• Wow
Reactions: Pattree

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
The selfish s o a b who has been blocking my drive for a week has moved his camper without me asking.
Somebody egged it, I got the blame of course, and threatened with the police, i couldnt care less. God bless whoever egged it, but I wish they hadn't egged my door too.!
Anyway, problem eventualy solved without me having to do anything.
I don't think he will be doing it again, and hopefully my driveway will remain clear from now on.
I do wish I knew who did it. I'd stand them a beer!

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
The selfish s o a b who has been blocking my drive for a week has moved his camper without me asking.
Somebody egged it, I got the blame of course, and threatened with the police, i couldnt care less. God bless whoever egged it, but I wish they hadn't egged my door too.!
Anyway, problem eventualy solved without me having to do anything.
I don't think he will be doing it again, and hopefully my driveway will remain clear from now on.
I do wish I knew who did it. I'd stand them a beer!

If you weren’t aware, it’s a criminal offence for someone to obstruct your access to the highway if your car is in the drive, so can get the police involved if needed. Weirdly it isn’t an offence to stop you getting onto your drive, though.

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
If you weren’t aware, it’s a criminal offence for someone to obstruct your access to the highway if your car is in the drive, so can get the police involved if needed. Weirdly it isn’t an offence to stop you getting onto your drive, though.
It could be if it constituted an aggravated trespass. (CJPO s68(1) (b) & (c))

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I knew I shouldn't have posted anything about it being a posative thing. It's all blown up today, and I've been accused of egging the van, and so it seems myself too. :) :)
Anyway, that story isn't for here. Because It's been rather traumatic and not at all posative.
Anyway, I've sold 3 hats, at £20 each, so a nice little bit of pocket money, just in time for Christmas, and an offer to stay with friends to get away from all the nuisance. So I'm off on a little break for a week.
I'm gonna be surrounded with cats, dogs, and ponies, big roaring fires, and good food, near the sea. Lovely walks. Oh, bliss!

Reactions: Broch

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Beef, ale and vegetable stew with home made bread last night. A couple of inches of snow overnight and then a lovely roast lamb dinner and pint of Guinness at the local pub next to the wood fire today. Wonderful.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Very lucky to get through Shap and on into Keswick last night. A jackknifed truck blocked the M6 somewhere behind us.
Life is indeed great. I haven’t driven through real horizontal snow for years. Three cars in front of us turned off for Tebay services and we found we had the front door. White motorway, little visibility and snow brushing the sump in a two wheel drive is exciting. Keswick is wet but the only snow is on the tops.

Today, hot spiced wine in a paper cup, greasy hamburger and a mince pie in the Sunday market. I WARNED Janet that if she entered a tombola she was in danger of winning something. Well she did and she did but there are plenty of charity shops to give it to. The whole thing was for charity anyway.
Life is great.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Id like to see this `snow` business, you speak of.

Ive seen water in its solid form in the laboratory but I am told its not possible under natural conditions.

• Haha
Reactions: Broch

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I was being a bit tounge in cheek about santa, I didn't get to see him arrive, or visit the grotty..sorry grotto, and get a cheap plastic toy.
But I did get some wonderful home made spiced apple juice, gluten free gingerbread, some honey and wax candles, and a small pair of old fashoned scissors. Watched the Morris dancers,and a magician, had the most hilarious chat with an old dear sitting on her walker, totaly sloshed on mulled wine, while she waited for someone to come and get her.
Firework show later, but I'll watch it from the top of the hill rather than squashed up in the crowd down in the town.
I could have spent an absolute fortune , but my pocket didn't develop a hole in it, so that's a good thing.
That's it, Christmas is done. Now I can get on with other stuff.
It's been a nice day, but I'm so glad it's all but over.
Think I'm becoming a hermit!!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE