Swiss issue boiler- field test

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
.....As for the Vulcan stove - you get a biomass/alcohol stove, alu bottle and mug for a price of about a fiver - max a tenner. That's a good buy as far as I'm concerned.

To think otherwise would be.............. illogical!
vulcan.gif

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
I've heard about those, but didn't think you could still get them...

are they any good? (and do they live up to their name? :eek: )

Yes they are good simple and effective and quite small and portable in real life the images are close ups and make it look bigger. runs on petrol or coleman white fuel so easily obtained but issues with storing/smell still made( i think i have an address somewhere) but its a handmade item from a small business with no net presence so youd have to order by traditional means in german presumably.They turn up on occasion on ebay search terms borde, bombe, or benzin kocher. They seem popular with bikers cos you have the fuel with you. there is s guy who seems to ?import them and sell on ebay occasionally the other stuff he sells is all bike related.
by the way there is a safety valve incorporated in the end you fill at so despite being a pressurised petrol stove there is no real threat of the bombe becoming a bomb!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Yes they are good simple and effective and quite small and portable in real life the images are close ups and make it look bigger. runs on petrol or coleman white fuel so easily obtained but issues with storing/smell still made( i think i have an address somewhere) but its a handmade item from a small business with no net presence so youd have to order by traditional means in german presumably.They turn up on occasion on ebay search terms borde, bombe, or benzin kocher. They seem popular with bikers cos you have the fuel with you. there is s guy who seems to ?import them and sell on ebay occasionally the other stuff he sells is all bike related.
by the way there is a safety valve incorporated in the end you fill at so despite being a pressurised petrol stove there is no real threat of the bombe becoming a bomb!

You'll find 9 out of 10 German sellers speak good English. You won't get a smell from spilling Coleman/panel wipe/Aspen 4T. Most stovies love them, but I have an irrational fear of them, had one and got rid of it, no logical reason but I just never felt safe using it.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Here is a real mans Swiss issue boiler :eek: :eek: :eek:

eBay item

380109752664 Ideal for those trips when you need to boil up 10 gallons of stew

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
the safety valve worries me...... when it releases, surely it's going to be letting out fuel and / or fuel vapour :eek: ... not such a problem on a paraffin stove but disastrous with a petrol one ??!!

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
>>>>1) You can melt it if you have too hot a fire with no water in the cup

>>1) Should you be messing with fire!!!

Well, it went a bit like this:

I'd used it a couple of times and was reasonably impressed, especially for the money it cost, which was less than a small jar of coffee. I'd brew up with sticks, then empty the remaining fire out by lifting up the device via its' nicely locking handle.

Then one day it was particularly cold and I stopped at an often used grill place to brew up. After I'd got the water hot I decided to drop in a couple of old coals from around the margins of the previous fire. These burnt well and provided me with welcome heat as I drank my tea. So I dropped in a few more. Then I decided to head off so I picked up the handle; but only the handle, if you see what I mean. The rest of the device was a shimmering wreck. I could've gone out and bought another one, but the truth is I've gone off aluminium a bit.

As I said before, they're good for the money, but I'm not sure they're really so practical as to be a part of permanent kit.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
MJK123,
Sorry mate it was a cheap jibe. Might of been funnier face to face but as I said I just could not resist.
I like them and feel safe letting my daughter use hers.

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
>>As in the kelly kettle, that's to stop you blowing up the unit with pressure build up. The cork pops out if it's left on with heat.

Why would you leave the cork in when you set the bottle in an open fire? Well, whatever. My doubt was it's effectiveness in staying put when the bottle was in your rucksac and full of water. And if you don't use it to carry water then it's dead space in your pack, unless you fill it with tinder or a rolled up copy of the Beano or something.

But by all means buy one; they're worth the cash just to see how all the bits fit together. And I'm pretty certain that a screw top Sigg bottle has a compatible diameter, but don't quote me on that.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
I rather like them, but a little wary of too much heat in them.

I've always thought someone should produce a similar product in stainless steel, or even titanium, sized for a 1 litre pop bottle, the outside giving all the protection needed there, or Sigg if you want possibility of heating in bottle.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
I think the Swiss Volcano Boiler demonstrates wonderfully the difference between military equipment and bushcraft designed equipment. In military terms you want a quick brew/meal and then want the fire out and the guys back doing what they are supposed too. In bushcraft you tend to want to sit down, watch ranger tv (fire) and chill. For the puropse of a quick brew in adverse conditions the volcano is perfect. Its shielded, not going to be put out by wind or rain and develops enough heat to dry small wet timber so it burns in the fire chamber. It is not however a stove, which is the holy grail of bushcraft, this comes close.

So great bit of kit but with limits as has all kit.

Sandsnakes:)

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
>>MJK123,
>>Sorry mate it was a cheap jibe. Might of been funnier face to face but as I said I just could not resist.
>>I like them and feel safe letting my daughter use hers.

You're right when you say they're a suitabe way for children to learn about open fires.

And absolutely no offense taken (or implied, I think).

But do you know the best way to boil a cup of water? Just put a cup of cold water next to your screen and start a thread about the merits of a JetBoil. You'll have a hot brew in no time.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Boil it up with a desert spoon of vinegar inside, will take off the oxide and clean it up nicely, then dry and store with the cork off.

Sandsnakes

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
Getting the alcohol burner into the base of the chimney, putting it out and removing it is a bit fiddly. Has anyone got any tips?

What I do is stick my fingers into the burner and then lower it into the chinmney - I get alcohol on my fingers of course. To put it out I have a small tomato puree tin which I lower onto it with a wire - and then when it is cold, I get it out by putting my hand into the chimney, sticking my fingers into the stove and lift it out.

People with smaller hands may have less problems. Anyone know of any tricks to make it easier?

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
>>Getting the alcohol burner into the base of the chimney, putting it out and removing it is a bit fiddly. Has anyone got any tips?

You could try cutting a bit more out of the side opening. And if you're keen on alcohol then you could make a burner that fits using a suitable sized tin. In keeping with the general sturdiness of the apparatus I suggest using the aluminium cups from T lite candles, a la mini Pepsi stove. I tried it and it really does produce a nice jetted flame, albeit for just a few minutes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE