Swiss issue boiler- field test

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
This is a small field test carried out on the group buy Swiss Issue Boiler.

You really don’t think of the Swiss in military terms, but we forget why they are neutral. In times gone by the Swiss mercenary bands were a force to be reckoned with, Napoleon rather than take on the Swiss produced a treaty with them to stop them allowing troops into Europe. From the land of cuckoo clocks comes a neat little bit of kit to rival the Crusader. In fact if it was stainless steel I would ditch my Crusader in favour of it. I prefer not to use Teflon based or ally based products, but still, this for me is a contender.

The fist thing you notice is the boiler is neat compact and is designed to be used wearing gloves. The second thing you notice, given that the mug fits very deep into the boiler its not designed for sticks, wood chips or pinecones but fine dead fall is perfect. I suspect it is designed to be a brush burner, which makes perfect sense for mountain troops. I ended up just throwing stuff in from the ground. Once it starts to burn the internal heat is ferocious so fine twigs from the wood land floor are perfect, the finer you use, the more heat you generate, the quicker it boils. The natty little wire handle enables you to twist the boiler into the wind to get a roaring up draught. The main trick is start it burning and then put the cup in after you have generated heat to begin drying the fuel in the mouth of the boiler. Use small twigs in little bundles. From getting out of the rucksack to boiling time 12 mins. Now this compares very favourably with a Kelly kettle and the boiler is smaller and carries its own water supply, it also used about half as much fuel as my 1 litre Kelly. If you fitted a lid to the mug it would heat up even quicker. The second picture shows the total amount of fuel needed to produce a rolling boil.

This was probably the perfect situation to try it out in as it was wet, windy and my blood sugar was dropping like a stone and I needed a hot brew fast. All in all a good bit of kit which I will use again and again.

As a side note, anybody know if the Swiss have or use an integrated cooking set with one of these?

Sandsnakes

PS I have just noticed that Chris G is organising another group by on these, take a peek in group buys.

A few people have asked a couple of other questions
so....

1 Cork is a saftey measure, when boiling up the bottle. If you forget to remove the cork rather than blowing up and throwing boiling water and shrapnel everywhere the cork flys out!
2 Its a boiler/kettle not a fire cage. It is designed to heat food and fluids using brush, gel or small twigs etc.. It is not designed to be used like a fire cage.
3 If you heat the bottle so you can fill two mugs, the ash does not go into the bottle and its a quicker method of heating a mug full. I have now used it three times with all sorts of different fuels and I have had no ash deposits into the cooking cup/mug.
4 It weighs under 300g (thanks mjk123 ;-))

Oh yes, you can fit in and heat a Rat Pack meal in the mug. Bit of a squeeze but works dam fine.

Sandsnakes

Attachments

• swiss boiler 1.JPG
    swiss boiler 1.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 753
  • swiss boiler 2 fuel needed.JPG
    swiss boiler 2 fuel needed.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 727
  • swiss boiler 3 loading.JPG
    swiss boiler 3 loading.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 728
  • swiss boiler 4 start.JPG
    swiss boiler 4 start.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 732
  • swiss boiler 5 tturn into wind- use stam as an indicator.JPG
    swiss boiler 5 tturn into wind- use stam as an indicator.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 728

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Nice, well written review and good photo's really show this system to be a sound design, and worth including in my kit.

Cheers.
sign0196.gif

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I use mine with a variety of fuels, including fine twigs as you describe, hexy blocks or meths as the Tatonka meths burner fits nicely in the chimney section.

Glad you like it!

Simon

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Where does the tatonka sit? At the top of the of the chimney? Is there a ridge inside the chimney upon which it can rest?

Good review, Simon - thanks.

I've just ordered one:)

Tha Tatonka burner sits at the base of the chimney, with the flames lapping at the base of either the bottle of mug, whichever you are using.

Second, unless Sandsnakes is also called Simon, I didn't do the review!

Simon

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
You really don’t think of the Swiss in military terms, but we forget why they are neutral. In times gone by the Swiss mercenary bands were a force to be reckoned with, Napoleon rather that take on the Swiss produced a treaty with them to stop them allowing troops into Europe.

Yes, they don't just have the right to possess an arm - but the duty to do so. Normal Swiss men have to do military duty on a regular basis and keep their rifle at home in between times. (AFAIK)

They also make up the Vatican Guard - and apparantly that doesn't just mean wearing quaint medieval costumes.

They also make a nice folding knife...

Michael

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I have Swiss relatives,yes they do have there services rifles and uniform at home,and in my relatives apartment basement was a bunker with food stocks, and due to the geography of the country and there training it would be a very hard country to try and conquer.(its been a while since ive been still issued with sig57 when i last went but presume its the same)

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I recall seeing a photo of an unattended motorcycle with an unsecured automatic rifle resting in the pannier holster.

The photo was taken in a built up area and no one paid any attention to the rifle as (presumably) it was a common sight.

I liked the thought that the degree of social and personal responsibility was such that it was safe to leave a rifle in a public place!

It has been alleged that my culinary skills are so bad, that I pose more of a threat with a cooker, than with a weapon!
happy0009.gif

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Neat review :D

I like my little stove and have used it off an on now for over three years. I believe that originally they are meant to be used with disposable get burners, the sort of thing that comes in their ratpacks.
Someone posted details of these burners a bit before the group buy iirc.

cheers,
Toddy

wizzzard

Sep 15, 2008
Stalybridge
Nice Review sandsnakes
I got mine in Chris Gs last group buy and confess to only using it a couple of times whilst out on a bimble. However the kids and I enjoyed a post school brew in the garden last Friday. My Son used a "Swedish Army Trangia" to boil his but I reached a rolling boil 1st with my Volcano.:) with a small plate as a lid for the Mug.
A word of warning though the Mug retains the heat for longer than I expected and I nearly burnt my lips. They are great though and fit easily into the tiny side pockets of my rucksack.

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
This is a small field test carried out on the group buy Swiss Issue Boiler.

You really don’t think of the Swiss in military terms, but we forget why they are neutral. In times gone by the Swiss mercenary bands were a force to be reckoned with, Napoleon rather that take on the Swiss produced a treaty with them to stop them allowing troops into Europe. From the land of cuckoo clocks comes a neat little bit of kit to rival the Crusader. In fact if it was stainless steel I would ditch my Crusader in favour of it. I prefer not to use Teflon based or ally based products, but still, this for me is a contender.

The fist thing you notice is the boiler is neat compact and is designed to be used wearing gloves. The second thing you notice, given that the mug fits very deep into the boiler its not designed for sticks, wood chips or pinecones but fine dead fall is perfect. I suspect it is designed to be a brush burner, which makes perfect sense for mountain troops. I ended up just throwing stuff in from the ground. Once it starts to burn the internal heat is ferocious so fine twigs from the wood land floor are perfect, the finer you use, the more heat you generate, the quicker it boils. The natty little wire handle enables you to twist the boiler into the wind to get a roaring up draught. The main trick is start it burning and then put the cup in after you have generated heat to begin drying the fuel in the mouth of the boiler. Use small twigs in little bundles. From getting out of the rucksack to boiling time 12 mins. Now this compares very favourably with a Kelly kettle and the boiler is smaller and carries its own water supply, it also used about half as much fuel as my 1 litre Kelly. If you fitted a lid to the mug it would heat up even quicker. The second picture shows the total amount of fuel needed to produce a rolling boil.

This was probably the perfect situation to try it out in as it was wet, windy and my blood sugar was dropping like a stone and I needed a hot brew fast. All in all a good bit of kit which I will use again and again.

As a side note, anybody know if the Swiss have or use an integrated cooking set with one of these?

Sandsnakes

PS I have just noticed that Chris G is organising another group by on these, take a peek in group buys.
integrated cooking set?
if you mean a cookset in the sense that a kelly cookset is marketed with add ons to allow pan use on top of the chimney i dont think so. I believe the set was designed to produce hot water/ drinks i have read elsewhere that the mountain troops used the bottle in the cooker to melt snow.(small amount water in base of bottle, larger volume of snow on top) The stove could also be used with a petrol stove (possibly issued to special troops, )swiss made and still produced ,called a "borde bombe" in my experience this does not fit some of the more recently released volcano stoves but they can be easily adapted. if you have the petrol stove this could be used with any pan/mess tin set independent of the volcano stove .borde bombe see:- http://zenstoves.net/Petrol.htm

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
>>Could anybody please tell me how much the Swiss set weighs, empty?

about 300g or less ? They're made of aluminium. I had one once, but it suffered three drawbacks:
1) You can melt it if you have too hot a fire with no water in the cup
2) There's no lid so convected ash goes in the cup
3) The bottle has a cork rather than a screw top

The corrugated handle thingmy was well designed though. Frankly, no better than an Ikea strainer plus billy, but, at 2 quid, much cheaper, and kind of "authentic". Although I'm pretty sure these aren't used in the field by the swiss army. They generally use field kitchen mass cookery, served in a kidney shaped pot.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent

1) Should you be messing with fire!!!
2) A bit of foil !!
3) Hit it, it stays in

Sorry it I just could not resist.

Ideal for making a quick cuppa on a days walk

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium

1) Should you be messing with fire!!!
2) A bit of foil !!
3) Hit it, it stays in

Sorry it I just could not resist.

Ideal for making a quick cuppa on a days walk

Well said - I can never understand the fuss about lids - I collect the foil tops off my jumbo yoghurt/creme frais etc. containers for lids of all sorts.

As for the Vulcan stove - you get a biomass/alcohol stove, alu bottle and mug for a price of about a fiver - max a tenner. That's a good buy as far as I'm concerned.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE