Swazi Tahr Anorak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Just had an email from raymears.com advising of an new exclusive Ray x Swazi Tahr they're releasing, and this reminded me about this jacket, was looking at it on the Swazi website some time ago.

Tempted not to buy one now I know Ray wears it (for fear of looking like a victim / stalker) but wondering if anyone had any experience of it?

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
It's an over the head, which makes it awful when it's wetted out or to ventilate when you are hot. It's VERY long looking at the vids and I for one have gone right off Gore-Tex after trying eVent. We call GTX boil in the bag now.

Nice looking bit of kit, and I like the idea of it lasting for a long time, but I for one won't go near it.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
cheers Rich, wasn't clear it was over the head, sod that one then.
Was looking for something quieter than my GTX jacket that was nice and long and so could be sat on. Looks like I might have to forge ahead with my plan for a custom Ventile smock.

I seem to do okay in GTX, but have been hearing good things about eVent. Have a pair of Karrimor boots with eVent, but have yet to road test.

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
I've never heard a bad word said about the Tahr, or Swazi in general. The cloth is pretty tough - none of that shell stuff which evaporates at the slightest hint of a spark.

I think £235 is about the same as the normal branded one so at least you're not paying for the name.

Still, although people in glass houses etc... I couldn't help but have a chuckle when the "modifications" he's added include a longer drawcord on the waist :lmao: (or maybe he's seen photos of BCUK meets and is accommodating the target market :rolleyes: )

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
I own a Tahr and I'm very satisfied.

The outer part of the fabric is a fine fleecy material making it very quiet.

The hood has an excellent shape and proves to be less of a nuisance than other hoods I experienced.

It's a knee lenght construction and therefore very practical if it really rains but by folding it on the inside I'm able to even use it as a wading jacket while fly-fishing.

The overall construction is very solid and the model is such that freedom of movement is combined with a snug fit. I can immagine that a longer drawcord is practical; the standard drawcord is on the short side for me and with a BMI of 22 I'm slim (being more solidly build, Ray will certainly have had some problem...).

Pro's
Though construction
Freedom of movement
Silent material
Excellent hood

Con's
Price
Tight fit at the belly

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Try trolling around your local shooting and fishing shops, there are some pretty good coats to be had at some remarkable prices at the moment - country fairs are often good places to buy, as you have loads of dealers all competing.

Dave

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I've just received the new Bushwear catalogue through the post.
They're selling them for £230 so I suppose £235 for one with the RM logo isn't too bad - if that's what you're after.
There's also a full front zip version that looks like the same (or similar) styling but it's abit more, about £250 IIRC.

Cheers

Mark

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Think I’ll order twenty and start my e-bay auction at “£500” a piece in 12 months time! On second thoughts I guess they can produce these things a little quicker than an Alan Wood RM knife! :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE