suspiciously eager posters?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
OK it may well just be my well honed paranoia developed from years of lying to the press (I've learnt my lesson now and moved back to the country where I refuse to read papers, turn off the adverts and research anything im close to believing in the news.)

However I am starting to notice posts that appear to resemble mini press releases. I admit I was one of the people that suggested to clients that "below the line" activity can do wonders for a product, and "new media" is host to all manner of resources that can be used to that effect.

To get to the point I hear rumours that these days people are paid to participate in BBs, newsgroups, chatrooms and forums. on the understanding that once in a while they throw in a plug for a product/brand etc, with the sole intent of raising its profile with considerably more integrity than a staight ad. in a periodical. Is there a way of monitoring posts for a ratio or frequency of references?

Like I said I am the first to admit a sceptics viewpoint and Im all to aware that we all have our favourite bit of kit. Just reading through some posts recently and noticed a pattern.

risby

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
dorset, uk
maverix said:
OK it may well just be my well honed paranoia

Why not try Prozac; Zoloft; Paxil; Luvox; Celexa; Lexapro; Effexor; Serzone; or Remeron available affordably at BushcraftOnlinePharmacy.com

maverix said:
I hear rumours that these days people are paid to participate in BBs ... on the understanding that once in a while they throw in a plug for a product/brand etc, with the sole intent of raising its profile with considerably more integrity than a staight ad

"more integrity", shurely shome mishtake here, Ed.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know it sort of happens on some forums I'm on, and so long as it doesn't get too repetitive then it's mostly just shrugged off as, "Them again :rolleyes: ." One or two of the costume groups and certainly one of the perfume making ones do this, thought the latter insists that it is only acceptable once a month on the last Friday, or the like.

I'm truly not aware of it on BcUK, certain suppliers are mentioned, but usually by a wide range of different people, as being highly satisfactory for service, etc.,

If you have concerns about it happening here with any regularity, or feel there is evidence will you please pm a Mod or Admin?

Cheers,
Toddy

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
Is there a particular mod. who i should be informing?

I usually dont even notice it, however when it starts to become a little blatent I do think that it has an effect across the community.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
If you think that it’s happening then let any mod or admin know, you can always use the little warning sign icon on the posts (top right of posts) to notify us.

I’d say that anyone informing us should be quite sure it’s going on as we’ll ban anyone that does do it. We’ve had to do this a few times now, they don’t need a warning and then find themselves down the road.

Forums are an attraction for covert advertising, for the most part as long as people are within the rules there’s no issue, but I will take action if someone’s taking the micky.

As an aside…There’s also quite a few members that have signatures to their sites but don’t have reciprocal links as they’re supposed to. If people could sort this out It would save us following up on it.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Tony said:
As an aside…There’s also quite a few members that have signatures to their sites but don’t have reciprocal links as they’re supposed to. If people could sort this out It would save us following up on it.

That is a rule I was not aware of. Luckily I am okay anyway but was in breach of it when I used to link to my magic site and Karen's wedding dresses.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
MagiKelly said:
That is a rule I was not aware of. Luckily I am okay anyway but was in breach of it when I used to link to my magic site and Karen's wedding dresses.

Write out " Sorry BCUK" 100 times and reflect on the past please John. ;)

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Tony said:
If you think that it’s happening then let any mod or admin know, you can always use the little warning sign icon on the posts (top right of posts) to notify us.

I’d say that anyone informing us should be quite sure it’s going on as we’ll ban anyone that does do it. We’ve had to do this a few times now, they don’t need a warning and then find themselves down the road.

Forums are an attraction for covert advertising, for the most part as long as people are within the rules there’s no issue, but I will take action if someone’s taking the micky.

What are "reciprocal links" ???
thanks
Abbe

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Abbe Osram said:
What are "reciprocal links" ???
thanks
Abbe

Abbe.. Tony means if you link to your site from you BCUK signature the rules state you need to put a link to BCUK on your site, like returning the favor.. and as im a regular reader of your site i know you are already covered on this. ;)

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
tomtom said:
Abbe.. Tony means if you link to your site from you BCUK signature the rules state you need to put a link to BCUK on your site, like returning the favor.. and as im a regular reader of your site i know you are already covered on this. ;)

Ahh, ok! Now I got it.
thanks
Abbe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE