Suspending a non-suspendable pot over a wood fire --- ideas please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
A lot of the origional Markhill Stormy stoves were used on big wall and route climbs where you may not have anywhere to put the stove down onto, they could hang them from climbing gear attached to the face or even suspend them in a tent to stop things getting knocked over when you were storm bound. It was the whole thing stove and pots that were suspended. Have played/used a few over the years, favourite being a converted MSR XGK which is a brute of a snow melter.Had a pressure bottle craddle the works.

John is a member here but not been around for a while, anyone heard from him?

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
What's the hanging stove on the left in the photo ?

hanging.jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
It's a Markill Stormy stove. Rik may know I'm a bit out of it these days but Markill's no more? Still see them on ebay though. Great stoves and the conversion kits are beautiful.

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
instead of a hose clamp under the lip perhaps using a bit of wire formed into an adjustable loop would be good to attach a hanger to a pot with a lip - the type of adjustable loop I am thinking of is tied as follows :

1. double over the wire and form a larks head knot
2. slip the hanger on to the two tails
3. feed the two tails of the wire through the larks head knot and tighten the knot forming the loop
4. slip the loop plus hanger onto the pot and position just under the lip and slide larks head to initially tighten
5. separate the two tails and pull apart to do the final tightening
6. tie an overhand knot in the tails and draw it up to the larks head knot to lock the loop around the pot

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
I've used a big jubilee clip to allow my snow peak 700 pit to be hung over a fire, had it like that for years

Still going strong, I have the bail wire attached with clips so I can take it off for normal use with a wood burning or meths stove

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
in an emergency/occasional use,

3+ pegs at the side of the fire ?

Hearth stone to let the fire get to the pot

4 forked sticks, two driven each side of the fire with greenwood branches in their clefts, running parrallel across the fire for a platform. They will eventually burn so have a supply ready. Exellent barbecue too, loveley chichen legs !

If you stick the pot on logs in the fire when they move through burning, you'll loose your fire ! (and your water)

edit: in fact the metal poles in the snowy photo, if you put them into the fork stick clefts, hey presto !

Last edited:
Pots heat much quicker when over the heat instead of beside. A pot that is hung is way safer than set on rocks or logs I drill two holes and either simply run a wire through them for a bail or rivet tabs on then put the bail through the tabs, that way you can still put a lid on. If your drilling stainless keep it cool as it work hardens. and you can use a small nail (Cut short) as a rivet
100_1560.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE