Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
they are some nice bowsyou have there Steve.. If I had the money you'd a few less to worry about :), The gost is a nice Bow, funny how I seem to have liked all the GN's you have :)

We did suffer with wet fletches... mine were alsot not there, they had flatterned out so much, thats my excuse for some bad shooting, lol.. may well have to think about a quiver with a lid.... if we keep shooting in the wet.........

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I am currently looking for arrow components, I can get 3dzn plastic vanes for around £5, or 1dzn feather ones for the same sort of money, that's a big difference, the question is will they perform worse than feather?

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Yes vanes will bump across the bow shelf, throwing the arrow off it's line, may not happen all the time but more often than not it will mess up your shot. Buy a bag or make one that can sit over the feathers instead.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I am in the same boat bud I like the colours I use but its cheaper to by by the 100, think about £25 per bag, it means that two colours are used.. so a rethink is needed I am thinking about a set for morning use and a set for afternnon use, may be some more spares as well...

truble is the water logged fletchngs take a larger tool on your distance as well due to your bow weight...

I will probley make another set of six to make up tow set as follows

2 x Red's
2 x Whites
1 x Blue
1 x No Colour, that can be marked up to use as a replacement,

Keep a bag over the spare Red, White, and no colour, my thinkning is you dont very often use a blue at a shoot so need less replacements for broken losses.. then if the Main Red, White, Blue get water logged then its a stright swap, then at break time just pull out the ones you need to replace.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have spent most of the morning reading about Ash dieback and weather it is recommended to coppice Ash. None of the papers categorically said not to, but they all said that young trees would be at a higher risk than older ones. I know there are areas across the country that they are doing trials to ascertain weather it has any effect when coppicing as the actual tree can be very old, its just the new growth that makes it look like a young tree. As a result of this I would not recommend that we undertake any coppicing of Ash until their is evidence saying that there is little or no risk to the regrowth. For our purposes I would think that we should be able to get enough materials for the shelter by selectively felling suitable sized timber from existing stools of maple and hazel from across the whole woodland.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I have spent most of the morning reading about Ash dieback and weather it is recommended to coppice Ash. None of the papers categorically said not to, but they all said that young trees would be at a higher risk than older ones. I know there are areas across the country that they are doing trials to ascertain weather it has any effect when coppicing as the actual tree can be very old, its just the new growth that makes it look like a young tree. As a result of this I would not recommend that we undertake any coppicing of Ash until their is evidence saying that there is little or no risk to the regrowth. For our purposes I would think that we should be able to get enough materials for the shelter by selectively felling suitable sized timber from existing stools of maple and hazel from across the whole woodland.

My feeling is the same really on that subject, at the mo its more the hazel we would like to use in the comming years for weaving and hurdles ect, the larger Ash we would use for carving, I think that there should be enough larger pices for our use, we can check out at the weekend, If we fell any for things like Bow Staves or anyother projects then We would make an imformed decision

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
For bow staves it would not really be a problem as we could select what we want, the same goes for carving, as this has little or no effect on the stool, so that can be harvested as and when required, plus its easier to work when green.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Can we settle on a design for the shelter before the next meet so we can work out what materials we will require. I know we are going to make the shelter fit off the shelf size tarps, making future replacements easy and cheap, and that the sides are to be removable.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
If there is a bow stave going, I would be eternally grateful at a chance of aquiring one.

I am afraid there is not, as I have said before if there was, but there is not and doubt there will be for a while, it would be the Regulars that turn up to the meets regularly, that would be able to have them even then there would be a limit, or I would be giving them out to everyone that posted on here, sorry I have to protect the permission that I have obtained and have worked to keep and extend what else can be done on at a meet.

It may sound harsh to you, but until you are a Regular at the meets that are at the Permission please don't ask for the resources from there.

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Check this out if you fancy keeping your boots clean and your stuff waterproofed.

check out youtube 'Ultra Ever Dry Waterproof Coating'

seen it before.. impressive stuff, bet its expensive to... I got to reproof my boots.. they are in the washing machine at the mo... once dry I'll prob nikwax them :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Toby, just been and hooked your axe head out of the Molasses Brew... and most of the rust and paint/blue has come off its nearly done, just a few bits of deeper rust to do now :), I think the brew may need refreshing after this one :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE