Suffolk BCG Daniel Boone Challenge 22nd May to 24th May 2015

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I'll be using my bed roll and the Poncho tarp that I have for shelter. I did try the Polish lavu only using 1/2 of it but it just tooo small for me...lol

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
My other option is a Dutch army blanket which is nice and thick, but just as bulky & weighty. Still, that's part of the challenge too I guess!

I tend to use the Czech bed roll as it has a waterproof base, your right there its def not light weight kit... but has Soul :)

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
Stu, I can't help but notice that one of your links http://www.liv18thc.com/woodsman.htm suggests that we should carry a "Wool bag which contains: bundle of leather thongs, beeswax candle, horn comb, small piece of homemade soap, housewife; containing small bobbins of silk thread,"

Is bringing a fistful of leather thongs and a housewife recommended or required for the Boone Challenge?

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1
Stu, I can't help but notice that one of your links http://www.liv18thc.com/woodsman.htm suggests that we should carry a "Wool bag which contains: bundle of leather thongs, beeswax candle, horn comb, small piece of homemade soap, housewife; containing small bobbins of silk thread,"

Is bringing a fistful of leather thongs and a housewife recommended or required for the Boone Challenge?
I've not got a leather thong. Can I craft one from nettle cordage instead?

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Been having a play with my Boone pack. Bedroll contents. 1, wool blanket. 1, wool blanket coat, jam jar candle lantern, 1ltr canteen, hygene and first aid kit. 2prs socks, ground sheet, small cast iron fry pan, Zebra lunch box. spoon, kuksa, small tinder bundle, and Polish lavvu.
Some pics. First as an over the shoulder carry.
boone 021.jpg boone 020.jpg
I also made a Roycroft pack frame.
boone 014.jpg
Roycroft pack Carry.
boone 018.jpg boone 019.jpg
Total pack weight is 21kg, but by playing with it properly at the next meet, I'm sure I can shave a few kilos off that.
Hope you like.

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1
Very nice! Fair bit of weight to take on the shoulders with just a rope though... You planning on adding any padding or isn't it that bad?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1
I was planning on using my frost river, but that feels a bit like cheating now... Will have to see what I can rustle up (if anything) before the meet.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I was planning on using my frost river, but that feels a bit like cheating now... Will have to see what I can rustle up (if anything) before the meet.

I just had some time on my hand today. Not to bad on the shoulders, over short distances, but I do have some leather I can use.

Last edited:

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Interesting stuff. I'm a complete Boone newbie, so taking in / pinching any ideas! I've been exploring the links at the start of this thread (some of which might need renewing by the way), and elsewhere and have come up with a vague plan on what I'm going to do for this challenge. Basically it'll be a mixture of new and old for me - particularly in the area of food; it's led me to have a go at baking for the first time, at home only so far but I've a mind to try it on the challenge. It may end in tears of course!:)

Looking forward to it (a bit nervously......

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Interesting stuff. I'm a complete Boone newbie, so taking in / pinching any ideas! I've been exploring the links at the start of this thread (some of which might need renewing by the way), and elsewhere and have come up with a vague plan on what I'm going to do for this challenge. Basically it'll be a mixture of new and old for me - particularly in the area of food; it's led me to have a go at baking for the first time, at home only so far but I've a mind to try it on the challenge. It may end in tears of course!:)

Looking forward to it (a bit nervously......

I'm just trying to do different things, while keeping in the spirit of the challenge. Baking is a good one, you'll have to let us know how you get on, heated stones are good.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I have used a bed roll with a tarp wrapped round in , and also a canvas rucksack, there is no right thing, as long as you look at the Challenge as a learning experience, its more a mind set then kit set..

The thing I love about it it teaches you and make you relise how simple kit can be to have a good weekend.

As far as food goes, it does make you think about how the hell can you do without the expensive Boil in Bags :), it has made me really look at what can be cooked, easily and what keeps well,
I tend to take :-
bread
bannock mix ready to use,
dried fruits,
cheese,
roast a gammon,
some dried veg,
oat biscuits,
some chocolate,
for the first night a bit of meat a carrot, potato, onion,
Popcorn, so I can sit at night a pop some over the fire,
coffee beans,
molasses,
Spices and Herbs
Chrizo
dried beans to mate some bake beans.
I have taken a couple of eggs as well
Corn flour

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Been thinking about kit for this one, think I may go with the Old canvas Ruck sack this time, maybe with bed roll under it....

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Well I am Packed all apart from the food now and I am using

Old canvas rucksack with the following..
Czech Poncho Tarp
Czech Bed Roll
Spare Wool Blanket
Wood Tankard
Enamel Bowl
Wooden Spoon
Candle Lantern
Woolen hat.. always wear one at night
Folding Buck Saw
Book
Frying Pan
Mucket

Belt order
Knife
Possibility pouch - Svord, flint and steel, char-cloth tin, mints, catty, Wooden Spoon
Ouch pouch
Folding Foraging bag
Catty Ammo

Food Quiver will have the following mostly wrapped in Grease proof paper.
Bread/Rolls
Bannock mix ready to use,
Dried fruits,
Cheese,
Butter
Roast gammon Joint,
Some veg,
Oat biscuits,
Some chocolate,
Popcorn, so I can sit at night a pop some over the fire,
Green coffee beans,
molasses,
Spices and Herbs
Chrizo
Dried beans
Couple of eggs
Corn flour

Also in Rucksack will be only for emergency use
First Aid kit
Emergency torch

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Well, I been trying to decide on what to take, was hoping to do it as i did my first one, with a bed roll pack, and make a leather harness for it rather then the rope one I used last time, as that just cut in, but time, run away.. and I decided Rucksack time, as this weeks going to be manic...

one thing I missed was some jute or sisal cordage.. paracord is just not Boonie... also Jute give you a good source of tinder.. :), and of course if soaked in Wax.. a nice fire starter :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE