SUCCESS - I've just got a wood to play in!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I have been back to the woodland today, minus the Ranger, and had a proper look round. I think I may have been a bit hasty with my negative comments and feel much happier today.

I have found 2 or 3 areas suitable for hammocking, but some of the lower branches will need to be trimmed, and one great spot for tent camping which has been used in the past unofficially (it even has a small stone fire circle which looks like it hasn't been used in ages).

In addition I have seen sign of fox and badger today, and even managed to sit and have a boil in the bag and a coffee whilst watching some fallow deer. (photo below)

CNV00035.jpg

SWMBO will go mad because I now NEED some better binoculars and a telephoto lense for my camera! :rolleyes:

Simon

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
How did you find out who your local woodland officer was?

I was given the details by another local organisation that I contacted.

Finding an area to play in is very frustrating - one organisation passes on the details of another and so on. Be peristent and follow up every lead is the best advice I can give.

Oh - and be be polite even if they say no, you never know if you will need them again in the future!

Simon

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
Looks like quite an open wood. Means more light. Means more plant life at ground level. Means more animal life eating the plant life. Means you'll be in Jessops soon looking for some nice optics.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Looks like quite an open wood. Means more light. Means more plant life at ground level. Means more animal life eating the plant life. Means you'll be in Jessops soon looking for some nice optics.

Have already eyeballed a nice telephoto lense for the camera - 300mm no less! :deal:
Any bigger and I'll need a tripod, according to the salesman anyway!

Next some decent bino's, my pocket sized ones aren't up to it!

Simon

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
As requested, photos of my playground!
DSC00321.jpg

This one shows a possible hammock site in the foreground and an ancient woodland to the rear. (Not allowed in the ancient woodland as it is privately owned).

DSC00322.jpg

This one shows the camp site, which already has a stone fire circle. This was a favourite venue on Good Friday at the turn of the century - complete with bare knuckle fights and swing boats!

CNV00023.jpg

This one shows a slight depression which is quite boggy, has a small pond, and is a favourite hangout of the red deer apparently!

Simon

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
i think i know where this place is and yes i have camped there without permission.But there is a lot of deer in this area.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
i think i know where this place is and yes i have camped there without permission.But there is a lot of deer in this area.

But how did you get there, it is no where near a water source for your canoe? :lmao:

Did you string up a washing line for the eagle owls to perch on? :D

Only messin! Enjoy!

Simon

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
Nice photos.

Great field of view too. Perhaps not quintessential hammockland but you can't have everything. And there's bound to be the odd couple of supports here and there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE