SUCCESS - I've just got a wood to play in!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
After spending many hours knocking on doors and sending e-mails asking landowners if I can play in their woods I contacted my local council woodlands officer. Within 3 hours he came back to me with this:-

"a 50 hectare mosaic of with 10 year old mostly native woodland and open space adjacent to moorland fringe and mature private woodland , some of which is ancient semi natural .
On the site there is a good chance of seeing red, fallow, and roe deer, fox, badger, peregrine , raven etc.
The owner would be prepared to let you camp there on a low impact basis. There is potential for much volunteer management work including tree planting, fence and wall repair, pruning/ coppice etc."

Chuffed just does not cover it!:D :D

When asking I did not mention bushcraft, below is the main part of the e-mail which I sent him. Hopefully it will be useful to someone else!

"I have a keen interest in British wildlife and am looking for a local woodland in which I can practice observation and identification of flora and fauna. Ideally this would involve the occasional overnight visit as this is when more of our mammals are active. Could you recommend any local woodlands that would meet my requirements, or alternately could you pass on the details of any local landowners that may be able to help.

Obviously I would be prepared to help the landowners with any tasks such as litter clearance, reporting poachers, general woodland management etc. and would adopt a zero impact approach on any visits to the woodland."

Simon

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
After spending many hours knocking on doors and sending e-mails asking landowners if I can play in their woods I contacted my local council woodlands officer. Within 3 hours he came back to me with this:-

"a 50 hectare mosaic of with 10 year old mostly native woodland and open space adjacent to moorland fringe and mature private woodland , some of which is ancient semi natural .
On the site there is a good chance of seeing red, fallow, and roe deer, fox, badger, peregrine , raven etc.
The owner would be prepared to let you camp there on a low impact basis. There is potential for much volunteer management work including tree planting, fence and wall repair, pruning/ coppice etc."

Chuffed just not cover it!:D :D

When asking I did not mention bushcraft, below is the main part of the e-mail which I sent him. Hopefully it will be useful to someone else!

"I have a keen interest in British wildlife and am looking for a local woodland in which I can practice observation and identification of flora and fauna. Ideally this would involve the occasional overnight visit as this is when more of our mammals are active. Could you recommend any local woodlands that would meet my requirements, or alternately could you pass on the details of any local landowners that may be able to help.

Obviously I would be prepared to help the landowners with any tasks such as litter clearance, reporting poachers, general woodland management etc. and would adopt a zero impact approach on any visits to the woodland."

Simon

Sincere congratulations, Si. Have fun :)

Cheers,
Paul.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
How did go about finding who the landowners are?

:You_Rock_

Initially I just knocked on farm house doors that had woods near them - 9 times out of 10 no reply, sometimes re-directed or given a contact number.

Then through family contacts with a local volunteer environmental panel.

Then contacted both of our local estates - Neither of which has replied yet.

Success through local Borough Council Woodlands Officer.:cool:

Hope that helps.

Simon

lottie.lou

Forager
Oct 9, 2007
Preston
Thats fantastic news! I expect your keeping there whereabouts under your hat so as not to irritate the owner? But if youre not... :D
I like your letter though, I'll have to try my local

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Well done Simon. It's a great feeling. You said all the right things; wildlife, zero impact, assistance with conservation and litter and the most surprising thing I've found is that people want an assurance that you will report anything amiss. Like private security I suppose.

I also stayed away from the term Bushcraft. Too difficult to explain. I mentioned wildlife tracking as well.

Did you mention the F-word (Fire)?

Great stuff. Enjoy the wood.

Pablo.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Did you mention the F-word (Fire)?

NO :eek: - I will be leaving that until I have a well established rapport with the landowner! I will use my Crusader set up for cooking for now.

Although .... I have just bought one of these...;)

DSC00295.jpg

4445.jpg

I have only used it in the garden to date & it didn't leave a mark ....

Simon

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
I think you do right not to mention the F word, or even to specifically rule out open fires. I'm quite lucky that I've got a symapthetic land owner. He allows archery, axe throwing, tree felling, camping out, bad language etc, but the first thing he does is light the fire in the exact spot where he wants it and he also stays until he's sure its out.

I think you've built an important bridge between your interest and the landowner. A waft of smoke during an impromtu visit could risk that. Use the trangia to invite your patron to a cup of coffee and wait for them to suggest that its a bit parky and why not light a fire.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I have spent a couple of hours at my new playground with the Woodland Officer this afternoon.

A little dissapointed that there is no area of mature woodland on the plot, more a moorland that has been planted over the last 10 years or so. The biggest trees seem to be silver birch, but are not big enough for hanging a hammock on. Sadly the water on the plot is not potable either - there are old lead and silver mines in the area and at certain times of year the stream runs orange from all the iron ore in the area as well!

On the plus side, I am allowed small controlled fires, and the area is teeming with wildlife. I saw 2 red deer in the first 5 minutes, and lots of sign of them in the area. Sadly we also came across a recently killed badger, wrapped in a bed sheet - too badly decomposed to see how it was killed but I can guess....:(

Anyway to legitimise my staying out overnight I am now a "Volunteer Ranger" which gives me the backing of the Council!

Simon

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Just to let you know I have sent similar letters recently and have had a really nice but more negative reply.
Well I didn't expect much else really but obviously the local council will not set a precedent in granting me or anyone else permission to camp as it could lead to miss use.
I did point out that it was a shame that responsible people couldn't stay over night when idiots were already abusing the woods ya da ya da!
He did point me in the direction of a guy who I have already met that I haven't tried yet so I guess that was helpful.
It will be interesting to see how the Land Reform Act 2003 Scotland pans out and whether a negative impact is noted on the land. ( I pointed that out to him)
Dave
Not trying to hijack your great news.....don't mention fires!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE