Southern Gun Company -.223 Lever Release.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I know that there are a few shooters on the forum so am just posing the question to see if anyone has seen/used any of the Lever Release rifles from the Southern Gun Company? I'm interested specifically in the .223 Lever Release but would be interested to hear of any experiences if you have them.

Cheers

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I've not seen the .223s yet but have seen several 9mms. Have you seen the price of a .223 lever release? Any reason to go lever release over straight pull?

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I've not seen the .223s yet but have seen several 9mms. Have you seen the price of a .223 lever release? Any reason to go lever release over straight pull?

Lever release is a loophole which means that the rifle cycles automatically but the release of a lever is required to allow the bolt carrier forward. You do not have to release your hands from the firing position.

[video=youtube;XbigvfhaUwE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbigvfhaUwE[/video]

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
Lever release is a loophole which means that the rifle cycles automatically but the release of a lever is required to allow the bolt carrier forward. You do not have to release your hands from the firing position.

Ah, OK, I was wondering why it was cycling somewhat oddly in the video, like it had a small pause in the cycle. It still looks capable of a pretty good rate of fire.

Another rifle of interest that is a bit more conventional you might want to also look at is the Mossberg MVP Patrol. I got to play with one in .308 the other day and it's now on my shopping list. It's a bolt action carbine in .308 or .223 that uses military standard mags (AR15/M16 for .223 and both AR-10 and M-14 for the .308), has a picatinney rail plus iron sights and a threaded muzzle.

Last edited:

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon

I know what they are as I've seen the gallery rifles in action countless times where the advantage of staying on target to fire a couple of shots in a 3 seconds is clear. However, I'm not sure of the benefit when shooting practical rifle or hunting, hence my question.

As for the question about functioning, yes everyone seems happy with them and they function well. Very easy to use once you get the hang of them.

Last edited:
Think its only available in 9mm and has had a long a troubled few years since its start and pretty sure it wont be any good to convert to rifle cals
Like a slide fire ** / Bump Fire stock (only any use on .22 Rimfire and shotgun in semi auto in uk) it interprets the word of the law exactly technically would still be legal if the action re chambered the next round but required an auto safety to be disengaged before pulling the trigger

Basically its a blowback with a last round hold open bolt every shot with the lever as the bolt release but placed for easy use

(** Fairly Certain nobody has brought in a slide fire and let it off where its been heard as tho legal would probably not be shortly after ;) )

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Hi FGYT ,
Its available currently in 9mm , 45acp and .223.

Think its only available in 9mm and has had a long a troubled few years since its start and pretty sure it wont be any good to convert to rifle cals
Like a slide fire ** / Bump Fire stock (only any use on .22 Rimfire and shotgun in semi auto in uk) it interprets the word of the law exactly technically would still be legal if the action re chambered the next round but required an auto safety to be disengaged before pulling the trigger

Basically its a blowback with a last round hold open bolt every shot with the lever as the bolt release but placed for easy use

(** Fairly Certain nobody has brought in a slide fire and let it off where its been heard as tho legal would probably not be shortly after ;) )

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
The SGC Speedmaster is a very good gun. The lever release is a pain in the **** but it's as close as you will get to a rifle calibre AR platform in the UK.

It's a well proven platform with heaps of mods available very cheaply. The .223 is a very accurate round out to 600m. Virtually no recoil.

You can pick up a good one second hand for about a grand. They knock the hell out of most other lever release guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Actually fella I know has one for sale at A Hobbs Firearms in Radstock Somerset. It's been in storage years as he moved to France and so it has seen little use.

He says:

Southern Gun .223 - To reproduce this with the excellent, very expensive, scope and the half pound trigger and the mags would be almost £3400. It's not fired that many rounds as I only used it for the McQueens. I'd like to see £1800.

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Countryman , Can I just clarify , are you saying this is a Speedmaster or one of the Lever Release? I'm sure its the former but have to check.

Actually fella I know has one for sale at A Hobbs Firearms in Radstock Somerset. It's been in storage years as he moved to France and so it has seen little use.

He says:

Southern Gun .223 - To reproduce this with the excellent, very expensive, scope and the half pound trigger and the mags would be almost £3400. It's not fired that many rounds as I only used it for the McQueens. I'd like to see £1800.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
It's the Speedmaster .223 straight pull. They don't do the .223 lever release yet but I have heard rumours that they may be challenging this.

Sorry may have gone off at cross purposes!

Should have read the whole thread.

-hangs head-

The lever release 9mm is a lot of fun. We have had issues with screws shearing but I think this is a mix of poor maintenance and high volume of use.

Last edited:

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
It has been very interesting to see all of the various loophole modifications done to the AR-15 in various jurisdictions to conform to local laws. It's not just over in Britain, some US states, California in particular, have their own set of loophole work-arounds they have to deal with concerning the AR-15. People do get creative.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
It has been very interesting to see all of the various loophole modifications done to the AR-15 in various jurisdictions to conform to local laws. It's not just over in Britain, some US states, California in particular, have their own set of loophole work-arounds they have to deal with concerning the AR-15. People do get creative.

The following is just my view and slant on it as the term 'loophole' has been used a couple of times in this thread and I feel a need to address that.
I don't see the Lever Release as a Loophole , its a mechanical evolution within legal parameters , I guess its the same as the difference between Tax Avoidance and Tax Evasion.

Is the Lever Release any quicker to unload than a slicked up Underlever in terms of firing ? I'm going to say No , but if the general public start to get an idea that a 'Loophole' has someway been exploited then the situation becomes far more complicated due the semantics of what we define as a LoopHole.

I would rather objectively look at the stated Law and legally work with it as it is written to retain / utilise as many of my legal rights and liberties as possible rather than subjectively read into what it says and limit the parameters of myself or others or justify WHY? when whatever is in question is still within the Legal and Lawful side of our society.

Again , just my view , I just wanted to question what people meant by 'Loophole' , if you meant 'legally creative and innovative' then I'm fine with that.

( Insert Smiley Emotioncon )

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE