Sorel Caribous anyone ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
They're not what they used to be. Sadly they are now made in China and the quality has suffered. I take a size 9 shoe and purchased size 9.5 Caribou as I'd read that they are roomy. Sadly Sorel have changed their sizing and they aren't really big enough for 2 pairs of socks. Complaints about them not being warm enough resulted in Sorel adding a new version to the range with a wool liner instead of the felt liner.
I wish I'd spent extra and bought Lundhags instead.

MikaelMazz

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2007
The United States Of America
I dont know about the sorels but if you want a pac boot you may want to look at Lacrosse pine tops. I dont know if you can get them in the UK. I got a pair this year and so far they have been very good. They have foam liners which make the the boot very flexable and seem to be pretty warm. The lowest I had them out so far was 13F (that around -10C) for a few hours just walking around the farm and with a pair of wool socks my feet were warm. Also they are very waterproof.
I dont know how cold it gets where you live but I wont wear them unless it gets below frezzing.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
11 years on the boots are still going strong, although i have to add a bit of padding at my ankle due to hard stitching rubbing against the skin

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
also, take a look at the seeland grizzly boots, very similar to the sorrels. I've had a pair of their older snow kings for over 10 years now and they are still going strong (albeit with a bit of shoo goo where i pierced the toe from a high speed skidoo accident).

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Depends on what you are going to do.
Your feet will love you for buying extra liners for always dry cozy feet.
My hunting boots were always waterproof, insulated, leather Greb Kodiak.
You can go for miles in those. But they never lasted more than 2-3 hunting seasons at the most.
As boots go, always were expensive.

Sorel felt-packs are the #1 choice of casual walking boot, all across our Canuck winters.
The bonded waterproof lower parts are really a big plus. Expensive but you really get what you pay for.
Dakota and Baffin boots for the outdoor oil-field workers here are rated to -50C.

I have Baffin snowmobile boots, my size 12 are exactly 14" long = Sasquatch.
I can jump into those, barefoot, for brief outings at -20C.
I can whip out the liners and wear those as slippers around the house.

We never see any Scandi boots on the shelf, the home-grown stuff seems popular and effective.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
See this is an old thread, but Lars posted about the Chinese made Sorel Caribous recently. He's not happy.

Reactions: Robson Valley

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE