Some hammock advice please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

VanDeRooster

Jan 14, 2014
Norwich, UK.
I recently purchased a SnugPak Jungle Hammock & All Weather Shelter, used them at the weekend and was impressed. I wanted to buy something on a budget as I've never slept in a hammock before.

The only problem I had is that I really enjoyed it and find myself now look at Hennessy ...

Sent from my  iPad Mini RD

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Depends on your budget, DD and TW are very ok for the money but if you can afford it than there are better options. If you don't want to spend a fortune draging items from the states UKhammocks is a very good company doing custom stuff. http://ukhammocks.co.uk/
Alot of people goes through DD and TW and end up with something that allows a diagonal lay.

Also check this one:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118967

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Sorry for the hijack!! Im also seriously looking at trying hammocks out; the DD travel has caught my eye for when I cant hang (thinking Dartmoor/ Bodmin Moor, etc) and use instead of my bivi bag or one man tent. Any thoughts on the travel hammock folks?? Unsure of forking out so much for HH!!

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
DD is designed to lie like a banana. Ok if you are medium size and like to sleep on your back. But that's previous generation of hammocks to be honest. Current trend is to lay on the diagonal which is much flatter, easier when you sleep on your side or stomach. Also if you are big there is much less trouble with shoulder squeeze. Watch videos from SHUG on youtube and you will see what diagonal lay is all about.
DD is a good quality hammock but for many people (like myself) it becomes a middle stage to diagonal hammocks. Research warbonnet, ukhammocks or even DIY gathered end hammock.
There is a third alternative (actually the latest trend), bridge hammocks...

Another answr to your question is that some brands like warbonnet, hennesy or clarke offer integrated systems with tarp tailored to the hammock which can give big weight savings and convenience.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I never realised that Bigmonster I've got a DD and a Hennessy. And wondered why I couldn't get comfortable trying to lay diagonally in the DD also I'm having trouble with my UQ feels to narrow???
Sorry to go of on a tangent. Cockney Greg if you get a chance try the different hammocks out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE