Soft and silent waterproof jacket?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

duir

Subscriber
Oct 29, 2006
Cumbria
I am in the market for a soft and silent waterproof jacket. Needs to have large pockets on the front, good coverage hood and preferably hand warmer pockets. Do not want a smock as it is going over a Bison wool smock for winter so prefer a full jacket for ease of putting on.

Will be worn mainly for sitting around in the woods and walking the dog through winter. Deerhunter and Ridgeline make suitable options for my low budget, anything else to consider?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
You're definitely looking in the right market - country sports/hunting clothing can be very good value.

Have a look at the Percussion jackets. Loads of options here:

JB101

Feb 18, 2020
Watford
+1 on Paramo ,also the Ridgeline material is quiet and i'm very happy with their quality as well (Monsoon smock).
You could lookout for a secondhand Barbour off ebay or charity shops.

duir

Subscriber
Oct 29, 2006
Cumbria
As nice as the paramo jacket is I am not sure I could justify paying double the price of a Ridgeline jacket, especially as its going to be used in a rough woodland environment!

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
As nice as the paramo jacket is I am not sure I could justify paying double the price of a Ridgeline jacket, especially as it’s going to be used in a rough woodland environment!
I use Paramo for all sorts of outdoor activites and it’s very robust. Never felt the need to plunge through dense woodland and brambles but it is more repairable because it doesn’t have a ‘membrane’ to keep water out. The quality, fit and better breathability of the Paramo is streaks ahead of a Ridgeline. Better venting options and the hoods are soft and comfortable. I have a Jack Pike smock that is similar to a Ridgeline and it is quite sweaty unless it is very cold.

Reactions: Billy-o

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I'd say rethink Paramo too. I am a convert to the broader principles of fleece/softshell combos - though still got a rack of goretex and ventile - and Paramo is great.

But I would add that Paramo jackets are warm (not the same as sweaty). The idea is that you don't take them off - lots of venting options - which can play havoc with any layering habits you may have developed over time. :) You'll figure it out and will be glad you did. Just need to cogitate for a bit.

On robustness, I haven't had any problems there, and I can be a clumsy oaf. But I did recently see a post about a rucksack wearing away at the jacket. They repaired it uncomplainingly though.

Otherwise: look at hunting jackets from Norrona etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brizzlebush

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
As nice as the paramo jacket is I am not sure I could justify paying double the price of a Ridgeline jacket, especially as its going to be used in a rough woodland environment!
I know what you mean but It would last you a lot longer than Ridgeline though. Amazingly you can sew a tear and it still remains waterproof and breathable.

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
I've been using a Torrent the last few years and I can't fault it. Recently got a good deal on a Monsoon smock too, so that's become my around-the-horses waterproof (normally I downgrade an older jacket for that abuse).

duir

Subscriber
Oct 29, 2006
Cumbria
I take all your points about Paramo but I already own an expensive goretex for the mountains and really can’t justify over £300 for a jacket for the woods!

That said the next one down the Pajaro seems to have pretty much the same features plus the all important hand warmer pockets but is quite a bit cheaper. Will take a look!

Last edited:

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
For all the flak it gets, I still like double Ventile jackets for faffing about in woodland and/or wildfowling. Add a good wool layer or two and you will keep both warm and dry - always allowing for openings to vent if you need to move. While I appreciate that Ventile can burn, I have never experienced it; however, my buffalo and paramo jackets are both showing interesting “moth holes” from sparks. I like other jackets for hillwalking and mountaineering, but, as I say, cotton-based garments are my first choice for being comfortable, soft and quiet in BCUK land.
Just my 2d worth…

Reactions: Great egret

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
To address the issue of cost, one option is to buy a cheap army surplus smock and wear it over a more expensive goretex or other jacket. That avoids spark holes and removes most of the rustle.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
In addition to being wind proof, Carhartt Chore coats are quite waterproof or at least minimally absorbent. I've still got the 40 yr old coat hanging in the front hall. Yes, they are expensive. Yes, I'm very comfortable. They are some sort of very heavy cotton(?) canvas, treated with a water repellant. Outback Kodiak waxed canvas hat is a fine outfit until it snows. Think of the cost per year: next to nothing.

Our winters are snow like sugar. Just brush it off, most of it, as you come into the house, please. What falls off and melts on the carpet is no big deal as the winter air is really dry.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I got an adventure velez, the lightweight and hi viz one. Thinner fabric and liner. It snagged and holed on an overhead bramble or hawthorn branch I missed ducking in time. I never got around to repairing the hole on my shoulder. Year or so later the hole is exactly the same size and makes no difference to the performance of the smock. I have the matched orange thread and even a sticky, fabric, iron on patch but don't see the need for the repair.

BTW don't make the mistake of thinking a lightweight fabric is weaker or less durable than a heavier fabric. I used to wear a buffalo windshirt when volunteering in conservation. I've snagged that so badly that a hole appeared 5mm across but when I got home I couldn't find the hole. That's a lightweight pertex and survived everything nature could throw at it from brambles to thorns to branches carried on the shoulder. It never failed. Ripstop is a good option for all outdoor fabrics too.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I've bought my paramo jackets when Go Outdoors had them with a 50% discount. Well worth waiting for that, or similar sales like previous season's colours.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I've bought my paramo jackets when Go Outdoors had them with a 50% discount. Well worth waiting for that, or similar sales like previous season's colours.
Oh! Green is SO last year! And the year before that and.....

I bought my green Paramo pajaro in March 2007. If it's not being worn it's in my day sack as it has been everyday since I bought it. I expect it to see me out. I have had many outdoor coats during my 80 years but never one that has lasted so long or has been so reliable or so versatile. I can't remember what I paid for it but it was expensive. But it's been the best value for money of any other coat.

As to seasonal wear, it is warm enough in winter as a top layer, and I don't find it too hot over just a base layer if its raining in the summer. It's all I need as an extra layer to cope with an unexpected drop in temperature on a Pyreneean summer walk.

I love my Paramo!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE