Snugpak Softie 9 Hawk Sleeping Bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

odin13

Forager
May 29, 2005
bristol, england
HI im thinking of buying a snugpak softie 9, for british use, most of the year, would this be anygood? or can anyone reccomend a different model which would be better suited. ideally as cheap as possible.
cheers
alex

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Alex

A search (or a browse through this forum) should turn up lots of opinions on sleeping bags, it's a very regularly discussed issue. As the old line goes.. Some people swear by Snugpak.. others swear at them.
Myself I use the Softie 9 and have found it great.. but then I'm a warm sleeper and haven't been out in the worst of winter weather with it. This time of year I'll use the Merlin, ie softie 3 because the 9 would be too hot for me.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I'm from the swear at camp - firmly so. It's difficult to choose a bag for all year use - for winter a -10 rated bag will keep you warm in all conditions, but you wouldn't want that for summer. But a lighter bag wouldn't be nice at all for winter.
I'd recommend the Nanok Endurance 0 and -10 - these can be nested too if it gets really bad, or if you go abroad somewhere cold. Other forum users have this combination. A quick look at nanok.no gives quite a few reasons why they're better bags - one they don't mention is that their temperature ratings are true, almost to the point of underestimation. This means that the bags tend to be heavier than what appears to be the equivalent, although in truth it's just false marketing on the others' part. If you want any more reasons to buy Nanok, take a look through my previous posts! (I swear I'm not affiliated with Nanok in any way! :D )

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
Alex,

I normally reccomend the softie 9. It weighs 1.5 kilos and packs up very small. It is long and is of good build quality.The materials used are soft and comfortable and the filling works better than others I've used when it's wet.

Obviously there are many other choices but I'm not familiar with them. Whilst looking on their website recently with a mate, we discovered a bag I hadn't heard of. It was called "The Sleeping Bag". These went down to -7 and weighed only 1.1 kilos. I would like to buy one of these as well. Not sure of the price.

Julian.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
I'm with Arctic Hobo, I have moved from using a softie 9 to a Nanok. I just prefer it, seems to be a bit more robust and its toasty warm.

Brian

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have both a Softie 6 and a Softie 10 (bought it on sale, like 50% off). I think that the Softie 9 will probably do for most times, possibly not all year though. I used the 10 in a hammock in the middle of winter, it only got down to about -2degC and I was warm, hammocks are a much harsher test than a basha and much more than a tent. I agree that Snugpak are REALLY optimistic about what temperatures their bags will keep you warm in.

I think if I had bought the Softie 9 I would not have bothered to get the 10, but the 6 is just not warm enough in the hammock for anything but warm weather. I am not a swear by, or swear at, they have filled a gap and worked adequately while I learn the ropes. I haven't worked them all that hard, but I would be kidding myself if I pretended that I would :rolleyes:

flibb

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2005
Kent
That highlander voyager compact looks good, could be just what I need for summer use. I would probably get away with it a bit later in the year as I sleep very warm. For winter use I have just inherited a rab, but I also have a current issue UK army bag, its just a bit on the large size when packed.

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
flibb said:
That highlander voyager compact looks good, could be just what I need for summer use. I would probably get away with it a bit later in the year as I sleep very warm. For winter use I have just inherited a rab, but I also have a current issue UK army bag, its just a bit on the large size when packed.

The Army bags do keep you warm but are bulky. I read something that made me laugh. " packing away an army sleeping bag into your bergen is like trying to pack a rapidly inflating rubber elephant into a matchbox"!

This was in the days of the '58 pack however, but the same still applies!

Julian.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I've got the option of buying a CAMP down sleeping bag rated to -5, that weighs 1kg, for 25 pounds. I figured that whilst I'm in the tropics I can sleep with it open if I'm too hot and when I get back to the UK it'd be good for a spot of winter camping that I want to do. Does that sound reasonable? Do people use down sleeping bags much in winter in britain, or is the dampness too problematic? I'm tempted by the low price and light weight.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE