Snugpack sleeka jackets warm or not.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
I'm talking at well below freezing. They seem cheap and advertise to be comfortable to -5. In serious cold -10 to -20 is one of these likely to perform with a couple of layers underneath or do I need to spend more on a decent down jacket?

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
Love mine
dscn1055fe8.jpg

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
my mate turned up to do some fishing in a £200 down RAB, pool was freezing over before our very eyes, he had hat, gloves thermals all the usual, i had thermals, sweater, WW2 sas smock and snugpak sleeka elite. i was snug a bug, he was all for sitting in the car. they are excellent, too warm sometimes, and the more activity you do in it the more heat it seams to hold. they are cheaper, and just as well made, when its knackered chuck it away and buy a new one, with the RAB or similar you'll get charged the earth and then cry your eyes out when you finally realise you could have spent half as much and got matching salopettes as well! and been warmer! IMHO

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
For that sort of tempreture I'd go for their Sasquatch jacket,

http://www.snugpak.com/index.php?MenuID=93-99&ItemID=108

mines great but too warm for anything more than standing about in the UK. They've since brought out the Blizzard which is cut longer at the back and warmer still.

I believe the armys copy of the sleeka turn up in surplus stores now so may be a even cheeper option. I picked up a pair of the mtching trousers for £5 from a stall at Chipping steam fair which are very warm indeed

Snugpak do sell seconds, they used to have (or supply) a store in Kendal, got the wife a civy version of the Saquatch and some kids fleeces one year and I've been told they have sales at their factory in West Yorks form time to time, anybody have details?

Naturally they don't like fires or thorns but are otherwise great bits of kit, compress reasonably well and can be washed easily and don't mind the damp.

ATB

Tom

bashabuddy

Nomad
Dec 15, 2008
bramley, Leeds
Yea i can confirm that the factory does indeed have a seconds room. Very tempting indeedy and my and SWMBO spent a lot there last month! Good lads too. They'll look after ya!

:D

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
A number of guys I know (military and civilian) love them to bits. I bought a similar thing for half the price: the Mountain Equipment Polarloft Jacket.

I think it's from last year's collection or before, because i can't find any other info on them.
Haven't tested it out in cold weather yet but half november I'll be off for a cold weekend to test it.

Found them here (Dutch webshop, not affiliated etc but a LOAD of kit.): http://www.tbm-recon.com/Mountain_Equipment_Polarloft_Jacket_Olive_-197-1692-d.html

Picture:
http://www.tbm-recon.com/imagecatalogue/imageview/180.jpg

greeneggcat

Forager
Sep 9, 2005
wet wet gloucestershire
Hello there, i can recomend the snugpak jacket. I used one when i was in poland a couple of years ago, when they were having that really cold winter. It was about -15c some days, average being about -10c, colder at night. I wore a merino base layer and a looser wool shirt over the top. I didnt feel the cold once. In fact during strenuous activity ( trying to walk through knee deep snow) i was too warm!

What i will say is dry cold is a bit different from our damp cold and on my return despite it being about 12 degrees warmer i felt the cold more :confused: . Good jacket.

ATB

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
What's the shop in Kendal called?

I've worn the issue kit and can confirm like others, that it's bloody warm. I now wear an elite pile shirt which is damn warm aswell.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE