snaring rabbits....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

1987_uk

iv just got into bushcraft :-D and im wondering how to catch rabbits and birds in the wild with snares or traps, any advice anyone.......... cheers

wayne

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Remember the Legal considerations that go along with this sort of thing :0:

There are a couple of guys on here that are very proficient in this area, I am sure they will have some advice for you :-D

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
First off you need permission from the landowner or his appointed representative, secondly, they must be checked AT LEAST TWICE every 24 hours. They need to be free running and not the self- locking type.

You will need one wooden stake and 2 small forked sticks for every snare you set. Find a rabbit run (the small pathways they use) hammer the stake into the ground and tie the snare to it. The loop needs to be the size of your fist and 4 finger widths off the ground resting on the 2 fork sticks. Handle everything as little as possible and rub everything with soil or hold it in the smoke over a fire to mask your scent. (Rabbits have an extremely good sense of smell). Be prepared that when you go to the snare the rabbit may still be alive, so you will have to kill it yourself. REMEMBER ONLY KILL FOR FOOD AND NOT FOR FUN!

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Also please remember you are not allowed to place a snare at the entrance of a burrow.

When looking for a run, check wire fences, its easy to see where the vegitation has been flattened by constant use. Check that the run is in use (look for fresh tracks and spore), Its no good setting a snare on an old run.

It may be worth blocking off other runs and gaps in the fence to increase your chances of success.

And remember.... the more snares you set, the more likely you are to get a catch. No point in putting out 1 or 2.... If you want to eat, set 20+

If I think of anything else, I'll post more.
:)
Ed

1987_uk

thanks 4 that its a big help, but has anyone got pictures of the snaire set up or drawings....cheers

wayne

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
Be sure that the run that you set the snare on is frequented by rabbit, not badgers or foxes. In my area we have a large number of badger runs very locally. I know the location of these but to someone new to the area you may make a mistake. Remember, killing badgers is illegal. The previous owner of our house used to kill badgers and foxes and stuff them. On an unrelated note, now he is in prison, for a different offence I hasten to add. :)

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I've just been having a quick read up on my trap and snare law and it also states that you may not place a snare on or in a fence..... just incase you find a run going through a fence, you should follow the run and place your snare somewhere along it, NOT attach it to the fence.

Ed

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Thats correct as far as I know. Laws governing snares and traps is very tight. It seems adding a spring to a snare makes it illegal and changes it from a snare to a spring trap in the eyes of the law and the law on these is even tighter..... (there are legaly aproved commercialy available spring traps listed for use by game-keepers etc...)

Ed

Mar 2, 2004
when i was a lad i set a few snares.with the intention of catching my first few rabbits...the only thing i caught was my cat!!!
thankfully as it was my first time i could hardly keep away from them and so found my moggie before any real damage had been done.
if i,m setting any now and it is very very rarely, then its on a summers evening when i set them out side their warren and sit and watch them from a distance. there are that many of em that theyre out again in fifteen minutes after i initially scare them underground.

far better to get proficient with an air rifle though- and dont wipe out the bunnies as theyre always nice to look at too. :-D

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Where do you buy them from? I mean how do you create the snare (not the wire [or is that what you meant?] :wink: ).
On bearclaw Gary is selling snare wire pack of three. Is that the wire or the actual snare?

Cheers,

Jake :oops: :-D

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Talking to my Grandad as he used to set a lot of snares on the farm he worked at, and fastening them to a small branch or tree will lift the rabbit off of the floor upon capture, thus stopping any other predators eating your catch. Would this class as being spring loaded though?

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
How would that work?
Is there a health danger when preparing and eating wild rabbit?

Cheers,

Jake

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE