Bushcraft venues?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
E

edwred

I'm just wondering, with all the people on this forum, where do you go to "do" bushcraft e.g light fires, catch fish or crayfish and mess around? Public land or woods? I'm in the north east,near Tynemouth if that helps

Sent from my Nokia 4.2 using Tapatalk

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I'm just wondering, with all the people on this forum, where do you go to "do" bushcraft e.g light fires, catch fish or crayfish and mess around? Public land or woods? I'm in the north east,near Tynemouth if that helps

I have gained permission to wild camp in a large part of a forest.

Reactions: edwred

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I'm just wondering, with all the people on this forum, where do you go to "do" bushcraft e.g light fires, catch fish or crayfish and mess around? Public land or woods?

My own woods mostly. I wouldn't say I mess around but I certainly enjoy myself. Foraging, hunting, lighting the odd fire goes hand in hand with planting, controlling pests and other woodland management.

E

edwred

That's good. But if you have no access to woodland you own ect. Then where can you go?? To light fires especially like safely obviously

Also, I read about fishing rights ect and asking permission. But on a stretch of public land that covers the river banks apparently you can fish because it's public (as long as the river has no angling club) ???

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
That's good. But if you have no access to woodland you own ect. Then where can you go?? To light fires especially like safely obviously

Also, I read about fishing rights ect and asking permission. But on a stretch of public land that covers the river banks apparently you can fish because it's public (as long as the river has no angling club) ???

You shouldn’t be starting a fire anywhere that you don’t have permission. If you want to practice fire starting with a flint and steel, you can do this at home with a bit of tinder and kindling. Scotland has a right to roam which allows you to do more than England and Wales, but please do not go starting fires there until you are more experienced at doing so and understand the risks and how to mitigate them.

Fishing you need to get the appropriate license, which you can get at your local post office or here: https://www.gov.uk/fishing-licences/buy-a-fishing-licence

E

edwred

I do have a fishing license and I will certainly not light fires anywhere but my property. I am wondering if people do anywhere else. Although I wonder if most people on this forum do light fires outside. Cheers

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales

No, it doesn’t follow that public land means public water. Everything is owned by someone. More to the point cray fishing requires a specific license and there are several protected species of crayfish. It is mainly the American signal crayfish that is open to exploitation because it’s an invasive pest that carries diseases that have decimated native species. In my area there has been a concerted effort to re establish our native white clawed crayfish so crayfish trapping is not allowed.

E

edwred

Is that Northumberland mate the protected area

E

edwred

Yeah. Just wondering because some one on this forum said you can just fish public land but that was in to context of taking fish
So you would have to ask permission.
That's fine because it only takes a knock on the door or an email

Reactions: Ystranc

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
Exactly, once you have permission from the owner of the fishing rights you’re sorted. The landowner doesn’t necessarily own the fishing rights though. They can get separated from the land and become an asset on their own.
re the crayfish trapping;
This is a useful page to check out with links to licence applications.

E

edwred

I read on this forum no licence is needed for crayfishin if you have permission from the landowner and you fish with rod and line. So line tied around bait and then hoist the crayfish up when it grabs on. I think his is correct because the gov.uk website states you only need apply if you're using traps, drop nets, but not rod and line.

Reactions: Ystranc

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The forum is a very public space.
Many people worked very hard to acquire land or to be given permission to use land.
They're not going to say where in a public space.

There are multiple threads full of advice on how to ask, how to find out who to ask, for permission to use land.

It's not straightforward because by granting 'permission' or even tacitly allowing someone to use land 'under the radar' often compromises their public liability insurances, and takes away time from their own permitted time to use woodlands for camping. Some places are very much restricted to just so many days a year.
I read on this forum no licence is needed for crayfishin if you have permission from the landowner and you fish with rod and line. So line tied around bait and then hoist the crayfish up when it grabs on. I think his is correct because the gov.uk website states you only need apply if you're using traps, drop nets, but not rod and line.

Where ? because I know that there are huge issues with using fishing kit on different sites because the S.crayfish are carrying a disease that's killing the native ones and it's easily spread on kit, boots, etc.,
That was included in the discussions on the topic in the past, when it was advised that taking out the bigger S. crayfish was actually exacerbating the problem because they're cannibalisitic and if you take out the big ones more little ones survive to cause more destruction.

It's not a straightforward take what you want.

"You must not trap or remove any non-native crayfish in England without written permission from the Environment Agency."

from,

E

edwred

Delete the thread why don't you mate

E

edwred

The forum is a very public space.
Many people worked very hard to acquire land or to be given permission to use land.
They're not going to say where in a public space.

There are multiple threads full of advice on how to ask, how to find out who to ask, for permission to use land.

It's not straightforward because by granting 'permission' or even tacitly allowing someone to use land 'under the radar' often compromises their public liability insurances, and takes away time from their own permitted time to use woodlands for camping. Some places are very much restricted to just so many days a year.

Where ? because I know that there are huge issues with using fishing kit on different sites because the S.crayfish are carrying a disease that's killing the native ones and it's easily spread on kit, boots, etc.,
That was included in the discussions on the topic in the past, when it was advised that taking out the bigger S. crayfish was actually exacerbating the problem because they're cannibalisitic and if you take out the big ones more little ones survive to cause more destruction.

It's not a straightforward take what you want.

"You must not trap or remove any non-native crayfish in England without written permission from the Environment Agency."

from,
Not going to say where...? Where they heave permission to light fire ect.? Just in case people realise somebody owns it and burn it down?

E

edwred

now I know there's lots of illegal arson ect but comeon might as well delete the thread it was like this on wsf forums

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE