Smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

directdrive

Forager
Oct 22, 2005
USA
Hello, everyone: I am seriously considering the purchase of a 3/4 smock. I've seen those made of "ventile" but they are significantly more expensive than I wish to pay. I'd appreciate suggestions as to where I might purchase a quality smock that is windproof/waterproof yet won't break the bank account.

Tight Lines, Bruce

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Bruce,

Ventile is the cream of the crop when it comes to cotton smocks. If you can afford it, then you should definately go for it. There's only about a zillion threads in the forum archives about Ventile, gawd knows I've probably started half of them!

But if your bank manager/wife won't let you shell out hundreds of dollars for one, you should consider an SAS Smock which is obviously English. Or, you can try a poly/cotton US Army smock. I noticed you're from the USA so the Army type garment might be just what you're looking for. They're fairly water resistant, and will dry much quicker than Ventile which is 100% cotton.

I can't find give you a URL for a seller because I'm just on the way out the door to head to work but I'm sure the next poster or so would be kind enought the throw a link your way.

Cheers,

Adam

Old Geezer

Aug 22, 2006
UK
Hi directdrive - newbie here!
Just caught you're post - If you can find a smock in a similar material to Filson's shelter cloth (ie very tight woven cotton/canvas) wash and treat it when necessary with the likes of Nikwax/Grangers or Stormproof that will do the job.
How about LL Bean?

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
hi i've used a sas smock for years top bit of kit but
they hard to find in plane green if ya don't like camo
great for ligthing and lieing-sitting round fires-gore tex isn't
i melted the arm on a £200 job-
not a happy man!
don't get me wrong gore tex still has it's place- ie raining alot
but for rough use a smock wins hands down
..karl

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE