Smallest packable sleep system for UK use

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I'm trying to put together a sort of survival grab bag that would see me through a few nights outdoors. Kind of like a compact bug out bag.

I'm wanting this kit to fit inside a 10 Litre rucksack that I have.

The sleeping system is a high priority but with space limited I'm not sure how to proceed? I thought of using a fleece bag liner inside a foil bag or my hunka bivi bag or maybe all three? Or maybe get something like a Snugpak jungle bag and use with a foil bag or Hunka?

I'm including one of those Orange survival bags with the intention of filling with vegetation and using as a mattress. I also have a Silnylon tarp.

In the pic I have a hammock bag substituting for the size of a sleeping bag or liner. The black bag is the Hunka.

Not sure whether there is a smaller sleep system available that will be comfortable in most British weather and do away with the Hunka and possible bag and have more space for other kit or food? At the moment all this fits snugly into the 10 Litre bag with room for about a litres worth of food.

Thoughts?

1bd783c9247b79897c1ce0145698d718_zpsbbc70fcb.jpg

Last edited:

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
Are you looking to use this to survive a few nights or to enjoy a few nights? Also are you planning any kind of shelter building, or using local materials to insulate you from the ground? If not, in winter at least I'd want a foam mat or similar to sleep on.

Maybe the lightest would be a foam mat, bivi and appropriate clothing.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Are you looking to use this to survive a few nights or to enjoy a few nights? Also are you planning any kind of shelter building, or using local materials to insulate you from the ground? If not, in winter at least I'd want a foam mat or similar to sleep on.

Maybe the lightest would be a foam mat, bivi and appropriate clothing.

I think enjoy a few nights with this kit? I really don't think I will ever need this to survive though? I do have a full size BOB but it weighs forty pounds and it's large. Also it's forever in disarray with me changing stuff or using bits so a compact kit that will always be complete and can be carried or slung in the car is the aim.

I will be using that orange bag filled with leaves or such as the mat. Could get a Neoair mat but trying to keep the cost down.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I think a Down fill bag would be ideal but not sure how they react to being fully compressed over extended periods? I have an Alpkit 400 Down bag that I can get really tightly packed but it's still a bit too large.

I keep going back to the Snugpak Jungle bag, the size is tiny but then again it's only a 1 season bag. I like the look of that Blizzard bag but going on the reviews condensation is a problem and I'm a sweater!

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I think I will get one of those SOL bags! Size is great, price not too bad and the reviews seem positive! Combined with a 1 season bag it may get me out of trouble in colder weather although maybe I would end up soaked from perspiration

For the price I think it's worth testing in the garden and if no good not much lost.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Blizzard survival bag. It's popular choice for emergencies. One goes in my overboard kayak bag.

Supposed to be equivalent to a 3 season bag, I think it is after spending 3 nights in one. 300g, same size as a VHS tape (do you know what that is kids? :lmao:) and waterproof. They are very roomy and very long, not cramped at all. Noisy though.

A vacuum sealer gets them back down to VHS tape size.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Thanks for the Blizzard bag review. Good to hear you actually have used one for a couple of nights, most of the vids on YouTube show people jumping in and out of one in 10 minutes and then saying they are good!

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Blizzard survival bag. It's popular choice for emergencies. One goes in my overboard kayak bag.

Supposed to be equivalent to a 3 season bag, I think it is after spending 3 nights in one. 300g, same size as a VHS tape (do you know what that is kids? :lmao:) and waterproof. They are very roomy and very long, not cramped at all. Noisy though.

A vacuum sealer gets them back down to VHS tape size.

Now I'm feeling nostalgic for my old JVC toploader :D

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
No worries. Forgot to say, pack some earplugs in with the bag. :)

Now I'm feeling nostalgic for my old JVC toploader :D

:D Sorry bud. Dragging you back into the techno dark ages there. Wasn't it great when the tape wrapped round the heads. :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE