Small travel bag suggestions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I saw an old thread on here but that was 2014 so I thought I'd start a new one. It's about what used to be called a manbag. I've never thought of getting one but now it's of interest to me.

I'm looking at something small, discrete and smart enough but practical with it. Synthetic and weatherproof, leather is out for me. It's to be used for travel, holidays and the like. Passport, phone, keys, wallet and book/kindle/tablet. Perhaps a travelers notebook too. It's to carry what I might need to fly on holiday into Europe mainland or a Mediterranean island plus carry when there. I have no idea what style I like: cross body/bumbag, very small courier bag/shoulder bag or other. I don't like very small rucksacks because I'm tall and they usually feel like they are too small and will fall off my shoulder. Tbh I don't like the round the waist bumbag but over the shoulder/ cross body is ok

Any suggestions? What do you use? I don't like anything that looks like it's army issue or could be. I think they call them molle packs where designed to attack to webbing on military style sacks then taken off for solo use. I just looking for the one, solo use and civilian looking too. Just not sure what's good or what size to get. Partly because I don't go on these package type holidays. Usually I'm on a bike touring or van camping so never really needed one.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I had an email from Aquapac this week; I get my dry-bags from them. The email includes this link; is it the kind of thing you're thinking of?

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Watching with interest because I’m looking for the same.

Being tall is a good point to make, the straps on many of the cross body bags can be quite short, meaning they look weird and are impossible to access as designed.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I saw an old thread on here but that was 2014 so I thought I'd start a new one. It's about what used to be called a manbag. I've never thought of getting one but now it's of interest to me.

I'm looking at something small, discrete and smart enough but practical with it. Synthetic and weatherproof, leather is out for me. It's to be used for travel, holidays and the like. Passport, phone, keys, wallet and book/kindle/tablet. Perhaps a travelers notebook too. It's to carry what I might need to fly on holiday into Europe mainland or a Mediterranean island plus carry when there. I have no idea what style I like: cross body/bumbag, very small courier bag/shoulder bag or other. I don't like very small rucksacks because I'm tall and they usually feel like they are too small and will fall off my shoulder. Tbh I don't like the round the waist bumbag but over the shoulder/ cross body is ok

Any suggestions? What do you use? I don't like anything that looks like it's army issue or could be. I think they call them molle packs where designed to attack to webbing on military style sacks then taken off for solo use. I just looking for the one, solo use and civilian looking too. Just not sure what's good or what size to get. Partly because I don't go on these package type holidays. Usually I'm on a bike touring or van camping so never really needed one.
Have a look for crossbody "guide bags" and especially the type that are taller than they are wide. They come in several sizes, too. My current handbag is a 4L (notionally) one from Marmot, before that I had a slightly larger one from MEC and I've also got a larger one from MEC that can fit a 1L Nalgene and a light jumper etc. They usually come in black and have an assortment of smaller zipped pockets, plus one large compartment and a big flap to provide weather protection. The strap is usually ca 4 cm wide webbing and the whole thing very sturdy but not heavy. You do need to check that the adjustable strap is long enough for you to wear it comfortably across your body, as it does vary from make to make.

I had two small ones from MEC that lasted about 8 years each of daily use until they looked a bit too worn to use as a handbag (still functional though!) and the Marmot has been in service since 2019 I think, and still looks like new.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
I use a cross the shoulder square man bag type thing with handy pockets with zips.. as I like my hands to be free.
Everything fits in it, phone/water bottle/keys/ sunscreen & anything else.
It’s just some cheap Chinese made thing of E-bay that’s lasted for years & it’s shower proof.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Saw this last night but the link I used only goes to another brand and women's sports! But here is the lundhags video. It's got very nice features but too big for my needs.

Lundhags Grett 15

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
The need you describe is common in the South of France where I spend a lot of time. All those things we would put in various pockets still have to be put somewhere when not wearing a jacket. For this reason, the sort of bag you want is readily available in France and Spain. I usually find plenty of choice in our local Decathlon in France. May i suggest you look at Decathlon's UK website or wait until you get to your destination.

I use either a satchel type or rucksack of the foldaway type around 15 litres. However, I have never found the perfect solution so I am following your thread with interest.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I have one of these

His prices have gone up recently but solid construction and can be shoulder, waist or chest carry with a rucksack.

marcoruhland

Life Member
Apr 23, 2020
Germany
...weatherproof...
means what? ip54

in general i prefer ortlieb:
their 40l duffles are carry-on bags
duffle+K1471, metrosphere+K1480 ip67 or the rolling 34l rg+K12001

31l rack-pack+K62 is only ip64

if you do not need a waterproof bag the 30l savotta keikka ist really extreme tough

and if you search for a very small solution the 13l fishpond thunderhead sling is very smart and parctically waterproof sling and not only for fishing! the 20l filson dry-sling is more urban style

mr

JB101

Feb 18, 2020
Watford
There are loads of possibilities out there such as
alternativly have a look at photography messenger bags (such as those by crumpler ) and there are loads of these on the bay at good prices .
The bigger you get the more 'stuff'you end up carting about ,also consider this type

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Osprey have a civilian looking chest rig
High on practicality, if a little unusual

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
Sounds like you're just after a shoulder bag for men (or sac bandoulière in the south of France:)) They come in all sizes, colours & materials.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
sac bandoulière
I love that.

I have two of these bags from Decathlon. I use them for my binoculars and other ‘tracking’ tat and also as an extra pouch. On the reverse it has a belt loop. They are more on the compact size.

6CC597F2-C842-4B5E-A1FC-428F3A004D11.jpeg

Reactions: steveparry

minds_eye

Aug 30, 2011
South West UK
I’ve run through a bunch of options but my beater for travelling is a Tom Bihn Daylight briefcase. I’ve got mine in the cordura / ballistic fabric which does the job nicely.

It’s smaller than usual briefcase type shoulder bags (just takes a 13” laptop), has several pockets but minimal structure meaning it’s easy to shove into another bag and that it wraps : conforms to my hip and therefore doesn’t stick out.

I picked up a flight bag, I think is the term for the tiny shoulder bags but always found I just wanted a bit more room for a bottle of mineral water, sun glasses and maybe a guide book. That’s where the Daylight is just about perfect (I now have three).

You’ve got a horizontal from pocket that’s great for travel passes etc, a front pocket that’s segmented (I carry sun glasses in one side and a notebook + pens in the other), a main compartment with a slip pocket inside that generally just has a water bottle and some snacks (but has enough room to shove a rain layer if needed), and a rear zip pocket that I tend to keep travel documents whilst in transit.

Crucially,for me, it has grab / carry handles - this was useful when it’s under a train / plane seat in front of you, or in a footwell, so you’re not dragging it out by the strap. I find it a perfect size for keeping the odds and sods you want during travel with you at your seat, whilst your carry on is in the overhead lockers.

Again, the big plus for me is its lack of structure means it rolls / folds up in the top of my pack and I can pull it out with that stuff I want to hand in.

(I should add that I have of these for sale here in dark grey atm)

Tom bihn also have a variety of smaller bags, which are more portrait than landscape, which might be more your thing. The copilot is an interesting one but maybe over engineered for that you want

Before I got the Tom Bihn, I was looking at the alpha one niner chio

Bellroy could have some options too:

These are interesting and less bum bag

Last edited:
Reactions: SCOMAN

JB101

Feb 18, 2020
Watford
If you go for or have a breifcase type then there is also this which could be usefull

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I like this one.

LUNDHAG GRETT 15

A good design. Love the hooks to close the flap on the bag with places to attach those hooks when you need to leave the bag flap open without the closure straps dangling.

The there's the chest strap to hold the bag on your back for cycling or other activity. When not needed it just fixes to the body of the bag out of sight.

A good design imho.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE